Save 30% on Cubase and get premium partner products at no cost!

cclarry

Cubase also has the mobile version, it's easy to work between the different platforms.

The Cubase is living under the big brand for long years, while the cost you could estimate every period(or you don't need to update ever year only for basic using) and no need to worry to be bought by other companies.

ARA/ Immerse supported

Video/ sound import directly, basic edit and export function. 

Widely midi controller/ Daw controller supported

• Like 1

11 hours ago, antler said:

Could someone explain why I might like Cubase if I have Studio One Pro?

Do you secretly yearn to mentally beat yourself up in frustration that you gave money to some company whose products seem nice, but who never fail to deliver the customer support sucker punch with a sickening blow. Even though you already get a regular beating from NI, while Arturia cheer them oblivious to what the question even was.....

You do?

Welcome to Steinberg Customer Support.....

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

This offer made me curious so I've downloaded the trial. So far it's good. Going to really dive into the MIDI since that's what everybody is raving about with Cubase. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, njm255 said:

Going to really dive into the MIDI since that's what everybody is raving about with Cubase. 

Please let us know if there's anything you find truly unique.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, njm255 said:

Please tell me they don’t charge almost $600 full price and you can’t even rearrange the tracks in the console view. 

Weird! I've never even notice this, and I've been mixing 150+ track scoring projects for 2 decades. Now that you've mentioned it, I want this feature!! Although I usually do all my track arranging in the timeline, which then auto updates ordering in the mix console...but would be very handy to be able to do this from console view.

Having said that - $600 is a steal for a software of this complexity / feature set, regardless of a few strangely missing features. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carl Ewing said:

Weird! I've never even notice this, and I've been mixing 150+ track scoring projects for 2 decades. Now that you've mentioned it, I want this feature!! Although I usually do all my track arranging in the timeline, which then auto updates ordering in the mix console...but would be very handy to be able to do this from console view.

Having said that - $600 is a steal for a software of this complexity / feature set, regardless of a few strangely missing features. 

Yeah I was able to get everything how I wanted using the zones and track view but I guess I'm spoiled having that feature in Sonar :D  

On 3/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, antler said:

Could someone explain why I might like Cubase if I have Studio One Pro? (Please bear in mind I've enough third-party plugins to make 'better stock plugins' not an overly compelling argument for me.)

Also, I heard they got rid of the dongle. What's the copy-protection system now?

No.  Try a demo instead of listening to others.  I always like the look of Studio One.  I don't like the rounded corners in Cubase.  Sometimes it's not always about features but does it gel with you.  What I like about Reaper, FL Studio, and Live, you click on it and it opens up ready to do something. Cubase is a click twice to exit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

No.  Try a demo instead of listening to others.

Sound advice (no pun intended). I've decided to give it a go. I realise I probably won't touch every feature though, simply because I might not know about them to use them, and so would appreciate hearing about any unique/'must-have' features if anyone has any insights. There are a few posts saying the MIDI capabilities are really advanced, but I'm not sure which ones specifically they are - from what I've read, I've so far seen the logic editor it one of the most powerful features.

Edit: also, there's a lot to go through if I want to take advantage of the Best Service Easter codes which are available up until 1 April.

Sometimes it's not always about features but does it gel with you.

Very true. So far, I'm finding the UX and concepts to be a mix of S1 and Sonar, which is understandable from its heritage. But coming from S1, it feels there's a need to be very explicit - e.g. deleting a send doesn't move the sends below it up; it leaves a blank space. Not saying it's 'bad': I expect the concept works well for the user base; it's just seems a bit strange to me at first.

Cubase is a click twice to exit. 

I found that really confusing at first - I click the X, but the dialogue pops up again.

Edited by antler

I scored a very cheap upgrade from Elements 12 to Elements 13, I just use it to open old projects though.

What interests me of Cubase is Reverence and only comes in the pro version.

I have Reaper 7, and Luna is beautiful and FREE.

I never buy stuff except special ocassions, I don’t suffer grom gas, life is great.

39 minutes ago, Last Call said:

I scored a very cheap upgrade from Elements 12 to Elements 13, I just use it to open old projects though.

What interests me of Cubase is Reverence and only comes in the pro version.

I have Reaper 7, and Luna is beautiful and FREE.

I never buy stuff except special ocassions, I don’t suffer grom gas, life is great.

You don't belong here.  Lemme guess you also work on music as well.  🤣

Disk space is kinda helping me to not buy stuff. I'm also getting to the point of avoiding free stuff.  Sort of.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, antler said:

Sound advice (no pun intended). I've decided to give it a go. I realise I probably won't touch every feature though, simply because I might not know about them to use them, and so would appreciate hearing about any unique/'must-have' features if anyone has any insights. There are a few posts saying the MIDI capabilities are really advanced, but I'm not sure which ones specifically they are - from what I've read, I've so far seen the logic editor it one of the most powerful features.

Edit: also, there's a lot to go through if I want to take advantage of the Best Service Easter codes which are available up until 1 April.

Very true. So far, I'm finding the UX and concepts to be a mix of S1 and Sonar, which is understandable from its heritage. But coming from S1, it feels there's a need to be very explicit - e.g. deleting a send doesn't move the sends below it up; it leaves a blank space. Not saying it's 'bad': I expect the concept works well for the user base; it's just seems a bit strange to me at first.

I found that really confusing at first - I click the X, but the dialogue pops up again.

Most DAWs are that way.  I get the popularity of Reaper because of all of it's features.   FL and Live are quite popular because you can start right away with very little knowledge but once you get past their simplicity FL Studio has they features I have no clue what they are about. I doubt I understand 10% of the features/fixes released in Reaper.

Cubase seems to be for the heavy orchestra user but I've seen people use those EDM type DAWs and do the same thing.  I also seem trance templates for Cubase.  People left Sonar for Cubase because of the superior staff view.

It will probably upset a fanboy or two but there's a large thread on Vi Control why they left Cubase.  I think there is one for Reaper as well.

10 hours ago, antler said:

But coming from S1, it feels there's a need to be very explicit - e.g. deleting a send doesn't move the sends below it up; it leaves a blank space. Not saying it's 'bad': I expect the concept works well for the user base; it's just seems a bit strange to me at first.

I prefer this, as I use both templates and external hardware FX. Just by taking a split second look at the channel-send section tells me what's being used & the level of each, without having to look at the names. If send 1, 3 & 7 are being used, I know what they are, and if 2, 4 & 8 are blank I know what's not being used. This applies to console view and channel view. This would be a mess if only used sends were stacked on top of one another regardless of Send #. 

This is also helpful from UI perspective when looking at 100 tracks in the mixer...since all send #s are on a horizontal line. I can just scan that line in the mixer and see everything going to Send #7 on a horizontal line. Same as a hardware mixer. If this wasn't the case it would be a nightmare for solving gain staging issues, especially with complex side-chaining setups.

So there are features from hardware that I like having replicated in software. But having it as a simple preference setting would be cool too.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 9:05 AM, husker said:

As Larry said, Midi is unparalleled.  I also think that Cubase has the best support for external hardware of any DAW.

MIDI in Cubase definitely trumps a lot of DAWs. I've also found that the mixer in Cubase has ruined the experience of mixing in other DAWs. It's such a pleasure to mix in, that the others fall short when I compare them.

I love some aspects of Ableton Live for example, but it's falls so short in mixing in comparison. Cubase isn't perfect and from everything I've personal tested, nor are the others, but they do get a lot right in so many ways.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

I prefer this, as I use both templates and external hardware FX. Just by taking a split second look at the channel-send section tells me what's being used & the level of each, without having to look at the names. If send 1, 3 & 7 are being used, I know what they are, and if 2, 4 & 8 are blank I know what's not being used. This applies to console view and channel view. This would be a mess if only used sends were stacked on top of one another regardless of Send #. 

This is also helpful from UI perspective when looking at 100 tracks in the mixer...since all send #s are on a horizontal line. I can just scan that line in the mixer and see everything going to Send #7 on a horizontal line. Same as a hardware mixer. If this wasn't the case it would be a nightmare for solving gain staging issues, especially with complex side-chaining setups.

So there are features from hardware that I like having replicated in software. But having it as a simple preference setting would be cool too.

Thanks for the insight. I'm coming at this from both the perspectives of someone new to Cubase, and a hobbyist who hasn't done that many orchestration projects. What you're saying does make sense with the parallel of hardware ports in mind, and can see how this could be a useful indicator, especially in larger projects and/or with shorter timescales.

And this is an example of why I ask for opinions of those more experienced than I; thanks to all who've contributed.

• Like 3

The $189 price from Bestservice for the crossgrade looked like the best offer to me and so I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to learning this DAW and seeing what it offers in contrast to S1. Thanks to everyone who shared their different experiences and perspectives here.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

If you can't afford a large outlay, Splice has Cubase 13 Pro for 16.99 a month. It's not a subscription. You pay for 17 months and you get the permanent license. 

You don't get the current discount, but Cubase upgrades are pretty cheap. Last version to version upgrade was 99.00.

• Like 1