The NEW Cakewalk Sonar (Early Access Version) Video from Creative Sauce

cclarry

1 minute ago, paulo said:

So you're saying that reaper sounds better than reason? By how much? 20-40%?

Funny thing is I knew someone would make the joke about Reason when I typed "reason". 🤣 

I had Reason 11 Suite for years now and only use it as a plug-in for the Rack Extensions and it works just fine in Reaper so it has no reason (pun intended) to be mentioned in my original post unless your reason is different to my reason. But I don't see the reason in that. 😛

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

There's really not much beyond the new lipstick to justify the current asking price, but I'm happy about that because it means I can not have it and also not feel like I'm missing out on anything.😀

What current asking price? I don't think a price for the new Sonar has been announced yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

What current asking price? I don't think a price for the new Sonar has been announced yet.

The current asking price is bandlab membership.

• Great Idea 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

What is the current asking price? I must have missed that....

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

It would seem that someone is currently using your identity to talk about this subject in the very thread that tells people what you have to pay to get Sonar now. Some geezer called Noel mentioned it. He seems like someone who maybe knows something about it, but maybe I'm wrong. You know how the www can be,😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

It would seem that someone is currently using your identity to talk about this subject in the very thread that tells people what you have to pay to get Sonar now. Some geezer called Noel mentioned it. He seems like someone who maybe knows something about it, but maybe I'm wrong. You know how the www can be,😉

Oh, you mean the current cost to check out save-enabled versions of the Sonar and Next pre-releases. Yes, I know about that.

It looks like BandLab are testing the waters to see how attractive people would find a Studio One+ like bundle of products and services.

I wouldn't use it as tea leaves to try to predict what the various licensing options and costs will be for Sonar. My guess is that there will be a "whole enchilada" subscription (like Studio One+), along with a perpetual license for just Sonar (like every DAW in the world except Audition), and then maybe other options, like a perpetual license bundle of both Sonar and Next. Perhaps "loaded" and "stripper" versions of Sonar with the difference being bundled plug-ins.

Adobe Audition is the only DAW I know of that doesn't offer a perpetual license, and I think that its level of acceptance in the marketplace is a good indicator of how popular that policy has been. (If you want to see something sad, do a search for Adobe Audition on YouTube😢)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Oh, you mean the current cost to check out save-enabled versions of the Sonar and Next pre-releases.

Noel has stated that BSP is the release version - "The feature set is complete". 

• Like 1

As someone else said a long time ago - much todo about nuthin...

Per https://www.cakewalk.com/sonar#FAQ

How do I get Cakewalk Sonar?

Cakewalk Sonar is still in development, but you can gain early access through Backstage Pass — an experimental program available to users with an active BandLab Membership. With BandLab Membership, you get unrestricted access to the latest versions of Cakewalk Next and Sonar before anyone else.

I've heard that you can prepurchase Sonar if you're willing to use Bitcoin and that upon release a unicorn will personally deliver your copy.
I dunno... but it does sound more plausible that many of the reasons/arguments that are currently being espoused. 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:

I take it you never visit the upstairs part of the forum.😀

You are right. I rarely visit there. However Mike, in the video in the OP stated at the outset that he did not know when Sonar was going to be released and nor did he know what the final price was going to be, so I assumed that no official announcement had been made, even upstairs.

43 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

As someone else said a long time ago - much todo about nuthin...

Per https://www.cakewalk.com/sonar#FAQ

I've heard that you can prepurchase Sonar if you're willing to use Bitcoin and that upon release a unicorn will personally deliver your copy.
I dunno... but it does sound more plausible that many of the reasons/arguments that are currently being espoused. 

It's a shame we can't do multiple emoji's.   I'd do a "Like" emoji for the much ado reference; a "Good idea" emoji for referring people to the FAQs; a "Thanks" emoji for choosing a relevant quote that those with blinders on seem to be missing (some intentionally so); and an "LMAO" emoji for the brilliant Bitcoin/Unicorn allusion that for me gets at the speculation / imagination some people are responding to instead of the facts.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hillmy said:

All the smoke and mirrors about the new Sonar and some people not seeing the obvious and listening to reason made me switch to Reaper.  

It's the usual mention other DAWs in a thread about a specific DAW.

Th real test in this is about loyalty with the end user and developer.  It isn't really about using a DAW but selling a license.  I stopped using Sonar around v4 but I bought a license even the lifetime update.  It's difficult to sell a 1st time license than selling upgrades that is a concerning someone who has never used a DAW.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

You are right. I rarely visit there. However Mike, in the video in the OP stated at the outset that he did not know when Sonar was going to be released and nor did he know what the final price was going to be, so I assumed that no official announcement had been made, even upstairs.

Sometimes that is a wise move.  I learned from being a Gigastudio user promises are not kept.   It's better to not rush something full of flaws.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, Hillmy said:

All the smoke and mirrors about the new Sonar and some people not seeing the obvious and listening to reason made me switch to Reaper.  

Reaper users are like lynx users....or People's Temple converts. 

Come on and drink the kool aid! 🧉

• Meh 1