Ukology : Update - Get your own Uke!

jwnicholson78

Update - I decided to open an Etsy shop to see if I could sell a few ukes, and fund the next instrument design. Would you like your own custom, 3D printed uke? I'd be happy to give a discount to forum members thanks to all the help and feedback that has been provided along the way in my musical journey.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1696540481/3d-printed-soprano-ukulele

This one has been quite the project.  I got it into my head a while ago that it would be fun to write and record a song on an instrument that I made.  Since my woodworking skills are non-existent, I turned to 3D design and printing.  Since I was doing 3D printing, that meant the instrument was going to be a ukulele.

Designing and printing a ukulele that sounded halfway decent turned out to take a fair bit longer than I was planning.  But I'm pretty happy with the result.

Ukology is the demo song, using the 3D printed ukes.  Hope you enjoy.

And if you have a 3D printer, and would like to print one, you can get the files here:

https://www.printables.com/model/806849-soprano-ukulele/related#tabs

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 5

Amazing video. I did a little plastic injection molding in a GM plant decades ago. I cannot believe how much the technology has changed in such a short time.  For some reason I assumed the holes had to be drilled and didn't think you could cleanly print them. 

Enjoyed the song and video.             The Uke sounds real Nice .. 

mark

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Amazing video. I did a little plastic injection molding in a GM plant decades ago. I cannot believe how much the technology has changed in such a short time.  For some reason I assumed the holes had to be drilled and didn't think you could cleanly print them. 

Enjoyed the song and video.             The Uke sounds real Nice .. 

mark

I bought my first home 3D printer 5 or 6 years ago.  The advance in technology between then and now, when I bought the new one to print ukes, is nothing short of stunning.  I can't wait to see what's available 5 years from.  Maybe I'll be able to print that sitar then!

What a fun and entertaining song and video. I love the intro (music) and the ukulele riffs through out.  The video was fun and informative but the process much beyond my abilities. 

Very Nice Work!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 3:14 PM, freddy j said:

What a fun and entertaining song and video. I love the intro (music) and the ukulele riffs through out.  The video was fun and informative but the process much beyond my abilities. 

Very Nice Work!

Thanks, Freddy!  The intro basically came about because I was playing octaves on new ukes as I printed them to check the intonation and to see if the notes were in tune as I fretted them.  😄

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78

On 3/23/2024 at 9:32 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Mazing!

👍 ‘s 👏

t

left a like and comment at YT. 
y’all can too…

Thanks, Tom for the listen and the comment.  And thanks also to your influence, I have taken to commenting, liking and subscribing on others YT feeds more often.  Thanks for the effort!

jeff

• Like 1

Fascinating stuff !  . . . can I place my order now for a Martin D-19 Guitar ! (when the technology improves past Ukes) Also, the recording, Uke playing and overall sound of your mix sounds excellent, high end positive vibe thing . . . really enjoyed it all !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 1:10 AM, noynekker said:

Fascinating stuff !  . . . can I place my order now for a Martin D-19 Guitar ! (when the technology improves past Ukes) Also, the recording, Uke playing and overall sound of your mix sounds excellent, high end positive vibe thing . . . really enjoyed it all !

Thanks!

The technology is available now, but maybe a little out of the price range for a home hobbiest :)

https://fiddlershop.com/products/forte3d-carbon-fiber-3d-printed-cello?variant=41936254599343&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk6SwBhDPARIsAJ59GwfBJs00WKATE2pi8_Ah4TZmr_E47KgxQL9SFva9APKFRj0qlAMiLE4aAl0eEALw_wcB

• jwnicholson78 changed the title to Ukology : Update - Get your own Uke!