Not Liking the look of the New Sonar Interface

3070x1440 native - that's the resolution.

Everything but tools seem to be sharp. Tools are fuzzy(blurry). My guess, they were not vectorized as most of other elements.

P.S. I don't have issues with tools being fuzzy in any other software....

fuzzy.jpg

Try different scale settings.  I find only a few display cursor icons clearly when using 4K (3840x2160) res's.

100% = clear
125% = clear
150% = blurry
175% = blurry [This scale gives the best overall view for me on a 17" screen] 
200% = clear
225% = clear
250% (Recommended) = clear
300% = blurry
350% = blurry

Edited by sjoens

6 minutes ago, Misha said:

3070x1440 native - that's the resolution.

Okay, I stand corrected. Weird. Tools seem as sharp as everything else here on both my displays (3072 x 1920, and 1920 x 1200) though their styling has not changed so they don't have the fine, crisp lines of many new elements.

David,

Thanks!

I fiddled  with main display scaling per your suggestion. You are partially right.  Anything over 175% (where 200% is recommended value) tools get fuzzy. 175% is a bit hard on my eyes. I prefer 200 % scale.  It's definitely not a deal breaker, just annoyance,  but something likely Bakers should look into. I doubt I will be the only one with this issue. 

---------------------------------------------

I found the cause! Mouse pointer size.  The size goes up to 15. My comfort level is 2. As you go up.... Mouse pointer stays sharp at any size, tools get more blurry with increase. I reported the issue. Hopefully they will address it.

Edited by Misha
  • Like 1

Regarding mouse cursors, there are some we've yet to update for high DPI. It's logged and we'll get to it in due course.

FWIW, obviously they look fine at 1080p, but they also look OK (not perfect, but definitely acceptable) at 4K too. This is because 4K is exactly 4 times the resolution of 1080p, so the scaled up cursors still look sharp, albeit a little pixellated, because one 1080p pixel equals exactly four 4K pixels.

1440p, on the other hand, doesn't match up neatly with the old cursor size like 1080p and 4K do. Since 1440p can't scale them up perfectly by whole numbers, it tries to fit them in between the pixels, which makes them look blurry.

It's definitely something we should address. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Misha said:

Mouse pointer size.

Good catch.  Probably my issue too but will check later.

EDIT:

My mouse was set to 3 which was causing the blurry cursors.  At 1 the cursors are too small to see on a 17" 4K screen so larger mouse cursor sizes are sometimes needed.

Edited by sjoens

On 3/21/2024 at 7:39 AM, Sal Sorice said:

I noticed that the ProChannel strip overlaps the track strip, and there is also no visual separation between them.

As you can tell by my example I am no graphic artist, but hopefully it gets the idea across... 🤪

image.thumb.png.ee0e2373d094850c5013f7eeddbb408a.png

I mentioned this earlier in this thread. Is it just me or does anyone else find that the ProChannel strip overlaps the track strip? Seems to me that the ProChannel strip should be more to the right and there should be some kind of separation line between the 2 strips.

I finally had a chance to sit down and work with the new interface. 

I have to say that I'm really, really digging it. It's snappy, easy to read, and unlike Cubase and Studio One, it doesn't seem cluttered or have fonts that are too small.

Picked up the subscription, and going to give it some heavy use. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find that the ProChannel strip overlaps the track strip?

I don't find that it overlaps, only that the strip divider goes with the strip that's displaced to the right, and no divider is added between the strip and the Prochannel. As I look more closely at CbB, the divider was sort of split between the two, becoming narrower on both sides, but the execution was slightly imperfect there as well with no divider between the section with the global controls and EQ graph.

Granted this looks a little unfinished in Sonar, but it doesn't hinder functionality at all, and I would expect the Bakers will revisit this as they continue to refine the new UI.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Resonant Serpent said:

I finally had a chance to sit down and work with the new interface. 

I have to say that I'm really, really digging it. It's snappy, easy to read, and unlike Cubase and Studio One, it doesn't seem cluttered or have fonts that are too small.

Picked up the subscription, and going to give it some heavy use. 

I must say, CbB/Sonar has one of the best first-look UIs around. I still compare others to it.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, David Baay said:

I don't find that it overlaps, only that the strip divider goes with the strip that's displaced to the right, and no divider is added between the strip and the Prochannel. As I look more closely at CbB, the divider was sort of split between the two, becoming narrower on both sides, but the execution was slightly imperfect there as well with no divider between the section with the global controls and EQ graph.

Granted this looks a little unfinished in Sonar, but it doesn't hinder functionality at all, and I would expect the Bakers will revisit this as they continue to refine the new UI.

Thanks for the input @David Baay. I agree that we need to give the Bakers some latitude to process all the user input. I'm confident that they'll address everything in due time. I'm a long-time user and look forward to using Sonar for many years to come!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:49 PM, Ben Staton said:

Regarding mouse cursors, there are some we've yet to update for high DPI. It's logged and we'll get to it in due course.

Ben, 

Thank you for acknowledgement!

One of the issues I'm seeing today is that modules in the Control Bar will go completely dark. It happens after I have the interface to an instrument plugin like Omnisphere or Absynth open. I have to unlock the bar and resize the module to get it to show up correctly. Mainly happening with the Screenset module.

On 3/10/2024 at 6:05 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@SirWillyDS12 I fixed an issue relating to this recently. We'll be releasing a new build next week. Please try it and let me know if it still happens. I was unable to reproduce it here with the latest.

On 3/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, SirWillyDS12 said:

Another bug/issue... Perhaps someone else can duplicate... On the "Start Screen" select "Local Projects"... Then select "All" ... Right after selecting "All" click on a project... Every time I do that Sonar crashes to the desktop... If I wait about 7 seconds for the little spinning circle then it doesn't crash and will open the project... Seems selecting a project needs "disabled" for a few seconds until the list is re-populated...

This issue was resolved for me with the 403 build @Noel Borthwick... Also, I'm no longer getting the Audio device has been disconnected dialog box on startup if Sonar resets the sample rate...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SirWillyDS12 said:

This issue was resolved for me with the 403 build @Noel Borthwick... Also, I'm no longer getting the Audio device has been disconnected dialog box on startup if Sonar resets the sample rate...

Nice. Yes this notification is now masked during app startup. What happens is when the sample rate changes some ASIO drivers request a driver reload leading to that spurious notification.

• Like 2

Not seen any comment on the latest update yet. New Mercury Classic and Tungsten Classic themes look really good, IMO, and address a number of points raised in this thread.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John T said:

Not seen any comment on the latest update yet. New Mercury Classic and Tungsten Classic themes look really good, IMO, and address a number of points raised in this thread.

The more I use it, the more I'm growing to really appreciate the clean lines everywhere

• Like 3

The darkest one is the best, dark grey second, never been a fan of the mercury look and never will be. I don't hate the blue one, but I'd probably tire of it quite quickly. The tungsten classic looks like a much loved tour t shirt that has been washed too often and is now living right on the edge of that fine line between retro chic and polishing rags and as for the really light ones there is but one word.....gopping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's nothing like that right now; the scaling is all based on your global Windows settings.

I do hope we see that sort of thing in future though. I expect it's relatively trivial once the main framework for this stuff is up and running.