Windows 12

It seems there are some inklings that Windows 12 might be out this summer.

Are there any indications of how this might affect audio, video, and DAWs?

• Thanks 1

Either my getting older and the effects of my pain medication including high dosage morphine patches are messing with my sense of time, but I think Microsoft should take their foot off the pedal for a while and work on what they got for a bit longer. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

• Great Idea 2

54 minutes ago, Heath Row said:

Either my getting older and the effects of my pain medication including high dosage morphine patches are messing with my sense of time, but I think Microsoft should take their foot off the pedal for a while and work on what they got for a bit longer. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I hear you.  Frankly, I like Windows 10 better than Windows 11.  Windows 11 messed with the explorer menu and I thought Windows 10 was better.

Sometimes it seems like MS just makes changes for the purpose of making changes, rather than fixing problems.

But if these changes are going to come down the pike, and if eventually Windows 10 is not going to be serviced anymore by MS, we do not need to know what is being planned.  And of course, what if DAWs and other audio related software starts gearing towards 12?  Will that matter to earlier version people?

• Like 2

Far as I can tell software works on all OS up to a point. When was W7 discontinued?
I have the exact same version of Cakewalk on W7, W10 and W11. There’s absolutely no difference in the way it works. 
The only difference is every computer is obviously a newer faster more powerful computer. operating systems are the most boring part of all things computer wise. I’d even be oblivious if my computer was a Mac. I just don’t like the mouse. 

• Like 2

I hate that Microsoft merge the operating system with the user interface and system functions!

Essentially the operating system did not change as much as the other stuff since W7. If they had separated the operating system, then it would have been possible to do the minor changes even on W7/W8/W10 and keep old systems alive. Much less trouble! I mean similar like Unix and Linux. Regrettably this is only a wish! 😞

oh no! not planned obsolescence!! 🤪imagine if you will, companies that "make stuff" give it a lifespan in order to address new things people might want, make new sales, as well as help their partners sell stuff... almost like the automobile industry of yore...

Exactly, as I said, operating systems are boring. So far since XP each new version has involved a learning curve that will annoy most people for a few minutes each day until you get used to it, but it can also annoy others to the point that they refuse to upgrade. So it kinda comes down to being patient as well as a fast learner. 

Ya, my car doesn't have an ignition key anymore. It has a dongle that the battery can die suddenly.   So after being very annoyed at this absolutely absurd change in my life, I took a deep breath and then I made sure there's always spare batteries in the car now. Old people have to be adaptable to change and I don't miss my Atari's TOS operating system. I most certainly don't miss XP. W7 is sort of still usable and W11 only looks different than 10. 

I wonder if someone gave me a 1924 Ford Sedan If I could get it started?  Probably.  Ten years from now a teenager would be asking were the dongle was! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Ten years from now a teenager would be asking were the dongle was! 

Ten years from now a chip in his head will energize the operating system and upload the latest user manual to his BRAM (Bio RAM) automatically. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, John Vere said:

Far as I can tell software works on all OS up to a point. When was W7 discontinued?
I have the exact same version of Cakewalk on W7, W10 and W11. There’s absolutely no difference in the way it works. 
The only difference is every computer is obviously a newer faster more powerful computer. operating systems are the most boring part of all things computer wise. I’d even be oblivious if my computer was a Mac. I just don’t like the mouse. 

Win7 was only decommed 3 years ago (and 2 months).  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

I hear you.  Frankly, I like Windows 10 better than Windows 11.  Windows 11 messed with the explorer menu and I thought Windows 10 was better.

Sometimes it seems like MS just makes changes for the purpose of making changes, rather than fixing problems.

But if these changes are going to come down the pike, and if eventually Windows 10 is not going to be serviced anymore by MS, we do not need to know what is being planned.  And of course, what if DAWs and other audio related software starts gearing towards 12?  Will that matter to earlier version people?

Yeah, Windows 11 was a total failure regarding the Explorer Menu. It's like how can a company be so dumb as to totally destroy decades of Explorer progress to only destroy it all overnight in a backwards move?  I think the biggest mistake Windows ever made. Fortunately there is a fix that restores the Windows 10 menu and functions and options to Windows 11 that anybody can get and patch. That's what I did otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use Win 11 because the Explorer became too primitive  and difficult to use as it was. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

Ya, my car doesn't have an ignition key anymore. It has a dongle that the battery can die suddenly.   So after being very annoyed at this absolutely absurd change in my life, I took a deep breath and then I made sure there's always spare batteries in the car now.

This exactly is A.I. !

I was confronted with the same foolishness when I had replaced my car some months ago (American)! I thought it was stupid, because there is no fallback if the battery fails! Nevertheless I was optimistic, because in the past I noticed when the key battery had been low. 3 weeks ago it happened, I could not start the car, because the battery was too low. It was luck that it did not happen out in the woods, happily I was near a supermarket and could buy a new battery! Strange kind of progress nowadays (ok, I sound like an old geezer, but I think there is some truth in it)!

I'm still waiting forWin 11 H2 23

No idea why I'm not getting offered it in Windows Update though I suspect I'm not the only one. 

I did wonder if there's a compatibility issue with my Roland APro 800 controller driver but nothing on the Roland site. Hopefully it will get to me before H2 22 is out of support. 

19 hours ago, kday said:

Yeah, Windows 11 was a total failure regarding the Explorer Menu. It's like how can a company be so dumb as to totally destroy decades of Explorer progress to only destroy it all overnight in a backwards move?  I think the biggest mistake Windows ever made. Fortunately there is a fix that restores the Windows 10 menu and functions and options to Windows 11 that anybody can get and patch. That's what I did otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use Win 11 because the Explorer became too primitive  and difficult to use as it was. 

That's because they are like pizza makers who don't eat or taste pizza.  Too much of changing the paint.

• Like 3