2024.02 Feedback

Sound Center is a 32-bit synth. As such, it's subject to a bug in Bitbridge that causes frozen/bounced/exported audio to have an empty buffer of audio added to the rendered output. If you're running a large audio buffer like 1024 (21.3ms at 48kHz), that error can become noticable. If you use a non-default Bounce Buffer size in AUD.INI or specified in the Export dialog, it can be even worse.

But that causes the opposite problem: Realtime audio is in sync, and frozen/bounced/exported audio is late.

And I verified that's what I get here. I'm seeing that Sound Center is a little slow to respond in real time (which might also be due to Bitbridge), but that latency is on the order of 2 milliseconds - not really noticeable. The piano has slightly slow attack that might add another couple milliseconds to the perceived timing, but still not really egregious. Switching to sidestick sound eliminated that, but the 2-millisecond latency remained.

Bottom line. Sound Center is far from a state-of-the art, and should probably be retired, but I'm not seeing a significant problem in real time, only with the Bitbridge freezing bug when the buffer size is high, and that's a longstanding issue, not new to this release. The 3rd-party Jbridge does not have this issue.

Strange that I've never experienced it before until I opened my project right after updating.

In the recorded WAV, I measure ~87ms between the attacks and in the exported wav, there is ~13ms, which is the slower CSC piano attack.

It has been so long since I've adjusted anything related to playback settings, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.  I don't believe I've ever messed with the AUD.INI file.

EDIT:

Changing my Audio > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode from "WASAPI Shared" to "WDM/KS" and then back to "WASAPI Shared" seems to have resolved my issue.

From what I can see, this changed my Mixing Latency Buffer Size from ~80ms to 10ms.  I am unable to change the buffer size myself because those controls are disabled.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Adam Biser

• 2 weeks later...

IS there a direct link to download the full Cakewalk installer instead of the update for archiving?

The app only downloads the update.  I'm sure it's not the full installer.

Tired of these download apps.

• Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

IS there a direct link to download the full Cakewalk installer instead of the update for archiving?

I second this motion.

I'm looking for this also, to keep as a file on my HD.

Sorry.. this was the right thread.

Since upgrading, I can no longer open any projects while my Sound device (UA Volt2) is turned on.  If it's off, then I can open Cakewalk fine, but can't do anything (no sound device).  If it's on I get the first menu screen to recent projects, but when I try to open one it hangs on the 'almost done' for ever and I have to kill the task.  The device works fine in my score notator and in every other respect, so seems like an issue with Cakewalk. 

48 minutes ago, Gerald Clark said:

Sorry.. this was the right thread.

Since upgrading, I can no longer open any projects while my Sound device (UA Volt2) is turned on.  If it's off, then I can open Cakewalk fine, but can't do anything (no sound device).  If it's on I get the first menu screen to recent projects, but when I try to open one it hangs on the 'almost done' for ever and I have to kill the task.  The device works fine in my score notator and in every other respect, so seems like an issue with Cakewalk. 

With Cakewalk closed, rename your aud.ini file to aud.old and let Cakewalk recreate it for you.

• Like 1

FWIW I've had instances where replacing an instrument track synth via synth rack doesn't change the name of the track to reflect that change - ie it retains whatever the name of the replaced synth was. Also there are instances where when inserting a synth instrument track I have to manually set the output of the midi track to make it correct instead of it defaulting to the first output like it used to. 

21 hours ago, gustabo said:

With Cakewalk closed, rename your aud.ini file to aud.old and let Cakewalk recreate it for you.

Thanks I tried this.  I found two aud.ini files, renamed them both.  No luck.  Trying to find how to look at the exclusive option in the sound settings in Windows 11 (as recommended by mettelus)

On 4/13/2024 at 4:22 AM, kitekrazy said:

Check your PM

9 hours ago, Vyacheslav said:

Here :)

I downloaded the installation file from here and ran it, the downloaded full installer remained in the Downloads folder.

Here?  I can't find it.  Maybe a link would help.

Full installer is 500mb, update is 50mb.

A problem has arisen: when starting, cakewalk by bandlab constantly scans all sound cards in the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver mode and then does not start. Steinberg UR44C sound card. And Yamaha Steinberg ASIO was previously installed in the settings. Since the interface no longer starts, it is impossible to switch the driver!
Cubase, Nuendo and Sonar Platinum launch without problems!!!

Cakewalk_01.jpg.de28a15de6235f2103a0cd09ffcc28cf.jpgCakewalk_02.jpg.1e637ede2b34296c059483e93201065a.jpgCakewalk_03.jpg.bf322436348a2527b8f8096e263f374d.jpg 

Edited by mefodia

Three options:

- Delete the section of AUD.INI starting with something like [Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver (1 in, 1 out)].

- Remove the Generic Low Latency Driver key from the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

- Rename AUD.INI and let CbB build a default one.

I would start with both the 1st and 2nd options, and use the 3rd option as a last resort.

7 hours ago, David Baay said:

Three options:

- Delete the section of AUD.INI starting with something like [Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver (1 in, 1 out)].

- Remove the Generic Low Latency Driver key from the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

- Rename AUD.INI and let CbB build a default one.

I would start with both the 1st and 2nd options, and use the 3rd option as a last resort.

Thanks, I did this - nothing helped...