What will make me consider buying highest tier of upcoming Sonar

Misha

It had been over 6 months since the announcement... 

From my understanding new Sonar will have several tiers. What will make me consider the "highest" tier:

1) Chord Track - that allows re-harmonizing similar to Studio One, Cubase and couple of others. That would be likely #1 reason, even if it will be for MIDI only from beginning.

2) Permanent activation option., to be absolutely sure nobody will pull a plug for one reason or another for foreseeable future. 

------------------------------------

I was seriously considering Studio One PRO specifically because PRO included Chord Track option, but I hate the way they designed "comping" / takes feature for audio tracks which is highly important to me and works amazingly well in Cake.

With more and more generative / phrase based  plugins emerging,  I see a chord track as a "must have" feature.  

Good suggestion. 

Chord track has been requested by many. An inexpensive option that I’m now playing with is called Chord Pulse http://www.chordpulse.com/

Its only $30. I created a backing track for a song in about 15 minutes with out reading the manual. I then read the manual to learn how to enhance the song with fills etc. 

The free version you can’t export midi so I bought it. You export the midi and open in Cakewalk and you have a real good start to your song.
The chords are super basic but if you are an ace at PRV it’s easy to move stuff around and make it work. 

I also bought Band in a Box but having issues with exporting the midi.It uses real tracks now so they are not midi. But it’s possible when you get better at the software. Myself I prefer the No BS of Chordpulse. BiaB was $135. So a bit pricey.

It does have a zillion styles and Chordpulse I think there’s only 140 styles but I still found what I wanted. 

2. It seems doubtful as the trend in software is using on line activation product managers. I didn’t get the opportunity to try Sonar but I have Next and it seems identical to CbB to activate. 
I think the main reason they choose this system is piracy. Serial numbers are easy to generate or bypass from the code. 
I can’t think of one bit of upto date  software I own that doesn’t involve on line activation now. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

3. nobody knows what's coming

No, but I do know that Cakewalk have never excluded/included individual features or functions in the different 'tiers' of SONAR. They have only ever been differentiated them by the amount of bundled content, and I expect that to continue.

2 minutes ago, David Baay said:

No, but I do know that Cakewalk have never excluded/included individual features or functions in the different 'tiers' of SONAR. They have only ever been differentiated them by the amount of bundled content, and I expect that to continue.

furry muff, but it's again a different owner so who knows 🤷‍♀️ expectation leads to disappointment (sometimes)

John Vere,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was early adopter of Chord Pulse when it came out. Developer is a great guy. I had a few conversations with him in the past. Unfortunately Chord pulse is limited as far as integration goes.

I am a huge BIAB fan (same goes for Cakewalk) . PM me, I will guide you through a few ways / types of MIDI you can export from BIAB> Cakewalk. 

-----

Hoping for an integrated Cakewalk Chord track. Even barebone MIDI without Wheel or suggester.  It was requested on quite a few occasions. Time is ripe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Misha said:

... guide you through a few ways / types of MIDI you can export from BIAB> Cakewalk. 

maybe share some tips for BIAB - there are quite a few folks on the forum (myself quite a lot) who would like to see how other people are using it beside the DAW plugin.

for myself - i'm either exporting stems of Real Tracks performance (solos mainly) or purely the MIDI (also usually solos). depending on the quality of the RT performance, i might use Melodyne to extract the MIDI and re-instrument it.

4 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

for myself - i'm either exporting stems of Real Tracks performance (solos mainly)

That's been my main use also since I'm not much of a soloist... but neither is BiaB as it turns out. 😜

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Baay said:

That's been my main use also since I'm not much of a soloist... but neither is BiaB as it turns out. 😜

depends on the soloist 🙂 i find i have maybe 4 or 5 "people" on the RT side who consistently produce usable solos. but the chord progression and the backing style can impact things as well as tempo. i find myself sometimes going 1/2 speed and making the progressions 1/2 as long and get better results than if i'm using full tempo (even if the tempo and changes are roughly equiv @ half speed). then when in doubt, i'll try some other tools like EZ Keys (MIDI & re-instrument), Scaler, and sometimes, gasp, just play it myself and then edit (and edit).

Edited by Glenn Stanton

I wish there was a sub forum that discussed biab, scaler 2 and other midi generators.  Only thing subs get so ignored. 

I didn’t know about this either from google search ->
A new generation of AI MIDI software has emerged over the past 5 years. Google, OpenAI, and Spotify have each published a free MIDI application powered by machine learning and artificial intelligence

Will Sonar be called “Sonar AI” Wouldn’t this be a pleasant surprise?

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

Chord track has been requested by many. An inexpensive option that I’m now playing with is called Chord Pulse http://www.chordpulse.com/

Its only $30. I created a backing track for a song in about 15 minutes with out reading the manual. I then read the manual to learn how to enhance the song with fills etc.

I have Chord Pulse and it's very good.  However, I didn't know it did fills.  I scoured the website and the online help, but couldn't find any mention of fills.  Do you have any pointers to that info?

• Like 1

I’m on the road until Thursday so can’t check. 
It was on the manual I think. And possibly only for the drums. But you place a little icon by clicking above the measure and I think a menu opens with options like stops and fills. If your familiar with Margaritaville I easily put in the stops for — There’s a Woman to blame… I think the style was called Village. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

2. It seems doubtful as the trend in software is using on line activation product managers. I didn’t get the opportunity to try Sonar but I have Next and it seems identical to CbB to activate.

Yes, it is a trend, but still there are a some others!

It would make the decision very easy for me, if the new Sonar had a time limited activation (re-activation needed)! Then I will surely pass! (I accepted it for a free product, but would never for a payed one!)

I think the main reason they choose this system is piracy. Serial numbers are easy to generate or bypass from the code.

I don't think this is the main reason! I am sure it is more this big brother thing a) for the marketing department and b) to force users to new versions!

I can’t think of one bit of upto date  software I own that doesn’t involve on line activation now.

Poor guy! 😄

I have quite a lot of actual software that does not depend on online nag. The last 2 years I focus my purchases on this! But there are also some companies that are on a black list because of their activation! 😆

The minimum requirement for me is offline activation (this is also fulfilled with iLok!) and most companies still support this.

What will make me consider buying highest tier of upcoming Sonar?

Simply offering it to the public!

This has become the biggest boondoggle in marketing I’ve ever seen!

Sadly, Cake is bleeding user base faster? than when Henry “screwed the pooch”.

Still here, still loyal, still waiting; but it’s been more painful than a root canal…

t

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Without a doubt!!!

But, don’t advertise “coming soon” until the Cake is out of the oven and cooling, and you’re preparing to serve…

t

If you are referring to the "splash screen", no where does it say "coming soon" in the "splash screen".

43 minutes ago, gustabo said:

referring to the "splash screen"

Not exactly, although it certainly “implies” releasing Sonar is eminent; to me. BUT what I’m really referring to, is in June, Sonar was “coming soon”. 
Well that backfired, and S1 is the dominant DAW on this forum now. 
Henry couldn’t have handled this any worse… (and that’s saying something)

t

• Haha 1