How to disable this new Sonar splash screen when launching Cakewalk?

tdehan

How to disable this new Sonar splash screen when launching Cakewalk?  How annoying!  Besides annoying it causes Cakewalk to take up to 2 to 3 minutes to launch.  I was wokring in Cakewalk on my computer early yesterday morning and there was no splash screen when launching the app.  However, when I went to the gig and launched Cakewalk on my Surface tablet and this Splash screen appeared, it froze.  Shut it down and launched it again and this splash screen came up with no way to shut it down.  Again, it caused Cakewalk to freeze.  I performed an End Task and launched it again and this time when the Spash Screen came up for Sonar I could see a count down.  When the count down was finished it allowed me to close the splash screen.  Not a very good user experience!  I understand that Sonar is replacing Cakewalk however, I was under the impression that we could still use Cakewalk.  As such, there must be a way to stop this annoying Sonar splash screen from popping up each time Cakewalk is launched.  

Sonar.jpg

Edited by tdehan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

If you'd read the other 2 threads you'd have your answer

I did read the other threads.  I did not see an answer to my question...  And needing to go online is a stupid requirement.  As I mentioned in one of these threads, my band plays outside a lot where there is no internet...  What a stupid requirement...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Canopus said:

There are already two threads about this. I don't think we need a third one.

2 hours ago, tdehan said:

Perhaps a 3rd one will get some results...

Exactly, the more threads we have, the better chance the Bakers get the signal. ;)

We love Cakewalk, we're thankful for the free product during these years and we support the Bakers 100%. But it would surely have been sufficient to show the nag screen ONCE, and then no more. And/or to make it optional after the first display.

Someone had a bit of "bad luck when they were thinking". :) But that can happen to anyone, it sure happens to me a lot. 😆

29 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Exactly, the more threads we have, the better chance the Bakers get the signal. ;)

Unless you've been under a rock, you may have noticed that the Bakers have been on an extended hiatus from this forum since shortly after the last release... and certainly aren't going to extend any effort in creating a patch for this incredibly minor inconvenience. 

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Unless you've been under a rock, you may have noticed that the Bakers have been on an extended hiatus from this forum since shortly after the last release... and certainly aren't going to extend any effort in creating a patch for this incredibly minor inconvenience. 

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Yeah, I've been busy producing music, I guess I missed that part. :)

Sweat the small stuff? The devil's in the mouse clicks- sorry, details! :D

9 hours ago, GreenLight said:

But it would surely have been sufficient to show the nag screen ONCE, and then no more. And/or to make it optional after the first display.

Exactly. This nag screen (also with time counter) it's a total nonsense. I think pretty much everyone that uses CbB knows that soon there will be also again a reborn Sonar. It's a reminder that popup also when you are offline, so it's certain that I can't "know more" from that splash screen because I'm offline. It's only an annoying splash screen useful for disrupt workflow and creativity if I would like to rapid start CbB.

Edited by Ronny.G
  • Like 2

@tdehan Thanks for sharing and apologies for the inconvenience. As others have mentioned, we'll be introducing Sonar licensing soon, and while CbB will remain available for some time, the app will present this screen at launch if you're offline as we're hoping to spread awareness of the new Sonar. 

That said, the app certainly shouldn't hang. You'll notice a timer in the window, which counts down from 20 seconds. During the countdown, the window cannot be closed, but again it should not hang. DM if that's indeed the case and we'll try to find the root cause.

FWIW we plan to drop a maintenance update to CbB fairly soon, we may be able to refine the experience so it's less problematic for gig use.  Thanks for your understanding!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

@tdehan Thanks for sharing and apologies for the inconvenience. As others have mentioned, we'll be introducing Sonar licensing soon, and while CbB will remain available for some time, the app will present this screen at launch if you're offline as we're hoping to spread awareness of the new Sonar. 

That said, the app certainly shouldn't hang. You'll notice a timer in the window, which counts down from 20 seconds. During the countdown, the window cannot be closed, but again it should not hang. DM if that's indeed the case and we'll try to find the root cause.

FWIW we plan to drop a maintenance update to CbB fairly soon, we may be to refine the experience so it's less problematic for gig use.  Thanks for your understanding!

@Jesse Jost it indeed has hung Cakewalk twice!  Also, as stated the splash screen positioning on my Surface tablet sits below the taskbar and the count down is not in view as well as the CLOSE button.  When my band is performing live, the Surface tablet is mounted in Portrait position.   Not knowing what was happening as there was no warning that this stupid splash screen was going to appear and block the usage of Cakewalk, the fix was finally to take it out of the mount, restart the Surface in Landscape position.  Then I was able to see the count down and click the CLOSE button.  I am sure you must see how nerve racking that was as we were starting our live performance!  However, as also mentioned, when my band is performing live many times we are performing outside where there is no internet connection.  So, in those cases in order to keep the pop up splash screen from happening I would need to use my cell phone as a hotspot, connect my Surface to it in order to be online.  Not a good user experience.  Also... I don't want my Surface to be online when we are performing so that there are no automatic updates etc that could happen which could affect Cakewalk in a live performance situation.  Unless we have all been under a rock, we all know that Sonar will be available soon!  That doesn't mean that we are all going to run out and immediatly adopt it.  There is absolutely no reason that we should have to constantly be hit in the face with this annoying splash screen reminding us of that!  Right?  This is an absolutely terrible user experience.  There either should be a counter that only shows this splash screen a few times and then not again or the abilty to turn off this annoying splash screen!

And lastly.... You state that CbB will be available for some time?  Are you stating that it will stop working at some point?  If so...when?  If so...is there a plan to let everyone know so that doesn't just stop working prior to a performance or recording session?????   Geez!!

PS.... This annoying splash screen does not give me a warm and fuzzy about purchasing a Sonar License.  In fact..just the opposite.

Edited by tdehan
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

That said, the app certainly shouldn't hang

What I have found is that it hangs every time if I try to move the window sliders to see the rest of the window, which in my case do not work anyway.  Now that I have figured out not to even try that, the close button does seem to work after the timer has run it's course. Whatever secrets the unseen part of the pop up window holds remain a mystery to me. 

FWIW I think that once the message has been delivered there really should be an option to not show it again. I get that not every user is looking at the user forum all the time and may not be aware of it, but once told this, I don't see the need to be reminded of it every time the program is opened, especially as even when it is available I will not be able to install it if I wanted to without first buying a new pc.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, tdehan said:

it indeed has hung Cakewalk twice!  Also, as stated the splash screen positioning on my Surface tablet sits below the taskbar and the count down is not in view as well as the CLOSE button.

Any additional info you can provide about the hang would be useful. Any chance you can post an image of what this looks like?

31 minutes ago, tdehan said:

I am sure you must see how nerve racking that was as we were starting our live performance!  However, as also mentioned, when my band is performing live many times we are performing outside where there is no internet connection

Yep, I totally get wanting to operate offline. And of course you can,  but currently if you're restarting often then of course you'll get the screen. But as I said, I'm sure we can make refinements to improve this use case. 

36 minutes ago, tdehan said:

Are you stating that it will stop working at some point?

Any plans that will would affect CbB's future availability would be clearly communicated well in advance on these forums and Sonar home page. CbB will never just "stop working" without plenty of advance notice and a viable alternative. 

• Like 1

@Jesse Jost The first time it hung the splash screen was blank white as others have indicated as well.  The second time it hung the image appeared.

Also, it was my understanding from the forums that in order to not have CbB stop working because of the future release of Sonar we all needed to update the the last latest update.  Now we are learning that was not the case???

Edited by tdehan
  • Thanks 1