The TEN Most Self-Important musician in Music History | RANK:

craigb

As a branch off from Xoo's comment in that other fred, who do you think are the ten most annoyingly pompous, self-important musicians and singers?  You know, the arrogant, pretentious kind where it's all about them, right?

Here's my starter list in no particular order (note that I don't listen to much pop, rap or country, so I'm sure I'm missing some there!):

• Kanye West
  • Yoko Ono
  • Bono
  • Yngwie Malmsteen
  • Madonna
  • Gene Simmons
  • Axle Rose
  • Morrissey
  • Barbra Streisand
  • Lady Gaga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xoo said:

1 Bono
2 Bono
3 Bono
4 Bono
5 Bono
6 Bono
7 Bono
8 Bono
9 Bono
10 Bono

Isn't one of him enough? 😆

At a U2 concert in Ireland, as the band started to play, Bono told them to stop and then proceeded to start slowly clapping his hands above his head...

"Every time I clap my hands..." he told the crowd, "... a child dies in Africa!"

"THEN STOP FECKING DOING IT!!!" came a reply from the front.

😂

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, craigb said:

At a U2 concert in Ireland, as the band started to play, Bono told them to stop and then proceeded to start slowly clapping his hands above his head...

"Every time I clap my hands..." he told the crowd, "... a child dies in Africa!"

"THEN STOP FECKING DOING IT!!!" came a reply from the front.

😂

An oldie but a goodie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

edit : forgot David Lee Roth

OMG!  I can't believe I forgot him!  I was actually sitting with Eddie at a club when he came in being a complete you-know-what.  Eddie put his head in his hand and said, "Sorry, I've got to go..."  It wasn't long after that they kicked him out of Van Halen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, craigb said:

As a branch off from Xoo's comment in that other fred, who do you think are the ten most annoyingly pompous, self-important musicians and singers?  You know, the arrogant, pretentious kind where it's all about them, right?

Here's my starter list in no particular order (note that I don't listen to much pop, rap or country, so I'm sure I'm missing some there!):

• Kanye West
  • Yoko Ono
  • Bono
  • Yngwie Malmsteen
  • Madonna
  • Gene Simmons
  • Axle Rose
  • Morrissey
  • Barbra Streisand
  • Lady Gaga

I guess I grew more tolerant with the passage of time, as most of these I don't really mind that much. On the other hand, maybe it's because I don't like musicians all that much (as people) - even those whom I genuinely admire. I suppose I've learned to tune them out, so when Gene Simmons or Bono say or do something stupid, I just roll my eyes and move on. 

The 3 exceptions would be the first one whose name I refuse to even type, Madonna, and Morrissey. I think I hate Morrissey the most because he's the one I'm constantly exposed to. 

Roger Waters would rank very near if not at the very top of my personal list. Can't stand that bloody antisemite. I'd sooner listen to Bono babble about politics for hours than having to endure a single minute of Waters' ravings.

Lars Ulrich. I've always felt that the snare sound on St. Anger was the most accurate musical representation of all that Lars Ulrich is - obnoxious, loud, always in your face begging for attention. Makes you want to give him a proper tuning.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Roger Waters would rank very near if not at the very top of my personal list. Can't stand that bloody antisemite. I'd sooner listen to Bono babble about politics for hours than having to endure a single minute of Waters' ravings.

Interestingly, I had Roger on my initial list but replaced him with someone else...  He makes me want to yell "We came here for the music not your opinions!!!"

I guess my distinction was more towards those that want everyone to look at and adore them.  Roger just wants to force his opinion on everyone.

Misc-LookAtMe.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, craigb said:

Interestingly, I had Roger on my initial list but replaced him with someone else...  He makes me want to yell "We came here for the music not your opinions!!!"

I guess my distinction was more towards those that want everyone to look at and adore them.  Roger just wants to force his opinion on everyone.

Misc-LookAtMe.gif

Makes sense, too.

Lou Reed

There's a vid on youtube by a person who makes and sells fx pedals. Reed expected some for free because he was a "star". Edited because I remembered the story wrong, but I was close.

I found the vid from 10 years ago.

https://youtu.be/3ZFjVfR9_XQ?si=IBLMPCdYc6M9VVdB

There's other reasons too,  but that story didn't surprise me in the least.

Edited by Shane_B.
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 7:47 AM, Rain said:

Lars Ulrich. I've always felt that the snare sound on St. Anger was the most accurate musical representation of all that Lars Ulrich is - obnoxious, loud, always in your face begging for attention. Makes you want to give him a proper tuning.

This ^^^ 👍

On 1/19/2024 at 2:07 PM, Xoo said:

1 Bono
2 Bono
3 Bono
4 Bono
5 Bono
6 Bono
7 Bono
8 Bono
9 Bono
10 Bono

On 1/19/2024 at 2:14 PM, craigb said:

It will be if he ever  finds what he's looking for 😉Bono's washing machine .

Wdl4RCP.jpg

Kenny

• Haha 2