IK Multimedia Releases TONEX 1.5.ONE

jackson white

52 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The Library.db would be the file you want to use for that, it would be a lighter weight way to keep things in sync from what I can tell for your situation.

Thanks.

Another observation about the update.  It seems like there is no longer an option to change the CAB to any of the existing IRs/CABs in ones collection (other than specifically imported IRS - which is now going to be a crazy long scroll list instead of something searchable( - am I missing something or is this simplification also a major limitation?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jackson white said:

Anyone have any problems opening this in CW?

nm, directory issues, resolved with a complete uninstall, reinstall...

Yes, I rescanned & still had a problem.
I then deleted the ToneX VST3 entries in the registry (Cakewalk VST Inventory)
image.thumb.png.a0b3c35e9394e9128a170c000b49dce4.png

and rescanned again and all is now good.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Yes, I rescanned & still had a problem.
I then deleted the ToneX VST3 entries in the registry 
image.thumb.png.a0b3c35e9394e9128a170c000b49dce4.png

and rescanned again and all is now good.

Thanks for this.  What a complete nightmare needing to do this across multiple computers with this update.

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Thanks.

Another observation about the update.  It seems like there is no longer an option to change the CAB to any of the existing IRs/CABs in ones collection (other than specifically imported IRS - which is now going to be a crazy long scroll list instead of something searchable( - am I missing something or is this simplification also a major limitation?)

This is something I really enjoyed! Will not update until confirmed cabs can still be swapped between captures. 

only a bit of a test drive given the need to troubleshoot the update, but provides much needed improvement to a rather convoluted interface. still a ways to go though. user folders are great, but the drag & drop behavior has me smh (keeps jumping to the target folder rather than displaying the source folder). ya, only have to do it once (or twice), but a rather tedious implementation that differs from well established OS practices... idk

not sure i get the perceived priority on high gain models either, it's like they do their marketing on gearspace forums...

that said, giving a shout out to the Swart from Amalgam, in addition to a nice range of Vox tones.

Anyone using standalone on Windows with a UA TB interface? I can’t switch the ASIO driver to the UA Thunderbolt option.

scratch that - need to change output device before input.

Edited by Greg

On 1/11/2024 at 11:45 AM, DeeringAmps said:

<rant>

Create a “junction” and get this beast off the C drive. Totally unnecessary for it and TRackS et al to “hog” so much space. Lazy design (typical) on the part of IKM. The installer could just as easily ask where you want this data to reside (on your sample drive; duh!) Drives me nuts!
</rant>

t

The junction looks like this: (bear in mind that my sample drive is "V" and named VSTi. the juction is created in the Command Prompt and must be run as "administrator" do your due diligence and learn how to do it properly. IF I can do it, so can you!)

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\ToneX" "V:\VSTi\IK Multimedia\ToneX"

ToneX 4.18gb
Amp5 2.91 gb
T-RackS 5 1.89gb
Amp 4 1gb

This should be a sticky,   I'm too stupid to mess with this stuff.   The issue which is turning my off towards DAW software is the addiction to bloat.  Most gamer have a 2TB OS drive and 256gb is pushing it for DAW software.  The rationale is disk space is cheap. Well yes if you want to compare prices from the 80's and 90's. Many users don't go back that far.   Where cheap ends is the inconvenience of upgrading an OS drive and having to do that many different reauthorization schemes.  That means contacting support and waiting on them,   No issue if you use only iLok.   

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

This should be a sticky

We’ll actually the credit goes to @scookhe has explained how it’s done more than once. With SSD’s you can let yourself get lazy and ignore the “bloat”, except when you image the OS drive all that comes back to bite you in the tush. Keep the OS drive “lean and mean”, image it often and IME you’ll have a healthy and happy DAW. 
YMMV

t

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

We’ll actually the credit goes to @scookhe has explained how it’s done more than once. With SSD’s you can let yourself get lazy and ignore the “bloat”, except when you image the OS drive all that comes back to bite you in the tush. Keep the OS drive “lean and mean”, image it often and IME you’ll have a healthy and happy DAW. 
YMMV

t

I use Tree File Size Free to see what clogs up disk space.  VSTs take up little space. It's when you start looking at their presets.  256gb drive just won't do it anymore. Plus there is also non DAW software installed.  Wave table synths with presets will eat up a drive. Another clogger is Live if you allow auto updates.  I've had to delete those installers left behind.  

I keep telling myself not to fall for those Komplete upgrades.  I almost went for the CE version but you acquire a lot of Maschine libraries. 

The biggest culprit is Reason with sample based REs.  For some the makelink fails. I don't bother with it. At some point developers need to do things that a user should never have to do.  I've seen some people fix NI's issues that developers need to fix.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if you update whether this 'breaks' old projects that use earlier versions of Tonex? I'd assume not, but those assumptions have been wrong before! I like the sound of the updates but don't want to bork projects I'm working on!

• jackson white changed the title to IK Multimedia Releases TONEX 1.5.ONE
6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I was curious about the changes, this seems to cover some (if not all) of it.

He's usually on top of things, and in my opinion has capture packs second only to Amalgum Captures. IMO of course.

Edited by heath row

2 hours ago, heath row said:

He's usually on top of things, and in my opinion has capture packs second only to Amalgum Captures. IMO of course.

Clearly he had early access to the release.

He is doing good stuff though I also think it is odd having content creators getting all this early access as though IKM is passing off the job of updating customers.  

• Like 1