Future Re-install of Cakewalk after Sonar is Available?

dalemccl

Just now, dalemccl said:

I am the original poster.  I'm sorry, I seemed to have unintentionally ignited a lively discussion.  But I haven't seen an answer to my question about obtaining the full Cakewalk installation file instead of just the small installer, which is all that is available on the Bandlab website.

Do a fresh install of Cakewalk by Bandlab on a PC that has never had Cakewalk installed.  Do this using the web installer:

https://downloads.bandlab.com/cakewalk/setup/CakewalkSetup.exe

When the installation phase has started and completed, the full installer exe should be in the following folder:

%userprofile%\Downloads\Cakewalk

The filename is “Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_29.09.0.075.exe” with a filesize of 590,811,736 bytes

30 minutes ago, dalemccl said:

I got 590,811,792 bytes instead of 590,811,736 you mentioned.

I did another download and still got the 590,811,736.  Might be due to slightly different disk sector allocation.

As long as it runs and installs.

As far as the activation of CbB in concerned - I think that will be possible for quite a while yet - at least until the Bakers decide to pull the plug on CbB (I believe that's a long way off).  The new Cakewalk Sonar will be well and truly released and established before that happens. 

3 hours ago, dalemccl said:

I am the original poster.  I'm sorry, I seemed to have unintentionally ignited a lively discussion.  But I haven't seen an answer to my question about obtaining the full Cakewalk installation file instead of just the small installer, which is all that is available on the Bandlab website. 

On 11/27/2023 at 9:41 AM, User 905133 said:

I remember there was also an explanation of how to get the webpage to download the full installer. I do not remember what those steps involved, but as I recall they worked. Not sure if that's still the case today.

3 hours ago, Promidi said:

Do a fresh install of Cakewalk by Bandlab on a PC that has never had Cakewalk installed. . . .

When the installation phase has started and completed, the full installer exe should be in the following folder:

%userprofile%\Downloads\Cakewalk

Thanks for providing the steps.  You saved me a lot of time searching for them. 

4 hours ago, dalemccl said:

I watched a couple older youtube videos about installing Cakewalk by Bandlab, and in their screenshots they showed a choice of installing via Bandlab Assistant or what appeared to be a download a file to install the full program.  That choice is no longer there.  The small installer is all that is available to download, as far as I can find..

I am concerned that if I ever need to re-install, and all I have saved is the small installer file, and if Bandlab no longer makes the full program available to the small installer, I will be out of luck.  I am sure others would be in the same boat.

So, does anyone know how to get the latest full version to be able to install later regardless of what Bandlab decides to do in the future?

You are worried about nothing. The installer will remain as is until they pull the plug on the whole thing. Without activation the installer is useless. 

On 11/27/2023 at 1:12 PM, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I still have Pro Audio 9, Sonar 8, and Platinum on my desktop and they run fine! 

Not that I use them regularly.  I have had clients come back years later to remix or edit projects and they have worked fine.

I'd be interested what operating system is your desktop running?

Thanks

21 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Still on windows 10 on desktop and laptop. Pro Audio is on an older desktop that still is running 98! The older desktop serves more as an archive than a working computer. 

Probably will upgrade to a new computer next year.

Thanks

Wayne

• 2 months later...

I am waiting to see what is going to happen with Sonar like the rest. I have used Cakewalk for decades and was one of the many who paid for the lifetime upgrades to my sonar Platinum producer. It took me a long time to understand this program. I even had a couple of versions before Sonar I think they were called Pro Audio. So many people on YouTube seem to be switching to other DAW programs and not waiting to see what is going to happen with Sonar. I have only used Sonar so I don't know any other programs. I wonder how many are already running another program besides Sonar in case the new Sonar is too expensive or sucks.

• Like 1

@Cannimagine historically when new versions of SONAR where released they installed in a parallel directory within the Cakewalk directory structure. 

On my current machine I have both SONAR Platinum and CbB. 

Within the Cakewalk directory tree there are two significant directories 

SONAR Platinum which hold the program code unique to SONAR Platinum 

Cakewalk Core which holds the program code unique toCakewalk by Bandlab 

Then there is the other directories that are shared by both programs.

I suspect that when Cakewalk Sonar is released we will see a new directory in that tree which will hold the code unique to it.

All we need to do is patiently wait whilst it finishes baking in the Cakewalk oven.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jeremy Landig said:

Hm.  I bought Sonar 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, X1, X2, and X3. 

Can people like me be grandfathered into the new Sonar?  Please?

i would be surprised if they didn't offer a loyalty pricing but doubt a freebie as the monies for those versions mainly went to Gibson.

50 minutes ago, Jeremy Landig said:

Hm.  I bought Sonar 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, X1, X2, and X3. 

Can people like me be grandfathered into the new Sonar?  Please?

I’m not sure where this thinking comes from but my personal view is we were screwed by Gibson who took our money and abandoned us. End of story? 

It could have been, but an absolutely amazing, unexpected  thing happened.

Bandlab bought the code from Gibson. 
Then 2 more things that didn’t have to happen but did were also announced. 
They  kept the original staff  and they rebranded the code with a recycled name and made it free. 

In a way both the Name and the staff made former Sonar people happy but it also creates this problem that somehow a few people think the staff were the same people who took their money and left the building. They were not. 

And keeping the name adds more confusion for some people. In my opinion they are repeating this mistake by recycling the Sonar name. This will be massively confusing on the internet search engine. 
Anyhow I see no reason why they should be obligated to cut a deal. As just because you gave your money to a company that screwed you and oddly is still in business doing fine they had zero to do with that. 

You got 7 years of your moneys worth for free! If Gibson had kept going you might have had lifetime updates but I bet by now they would have wormed their way out of that deal . And who knows how much Sonar would have advanced. 

We are all in good shape and once they sort out the graphics all will be better than it ever was. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, John Vere said:

And keeping the name adds more confusion for some people. In my opinion they are repeating this mistake by recycling the Sonar name. This will be massively confusing on the internet search engine.

One way to keep old SONAR and new Sonar apart is to use proper capitalization. Old SONAR was always spelt in all upper case, but the new Sonar is not. If everyone adheres to these simple rules, keeping them apart will be simpler.

• Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steven Gerard said:

Even if you can save it, if it's going to require online activation, you're sol.  

What are you basing this assertion on?  If its from a reputable source, please post the link.  If it's just someone's opinion, does the source say it's a fact or identify it as speculation?

If it originates from you, what facts did you put together to come up with this conclusion?

I used the word "if".  I'm not asserting, I'm speculating.  I was under the assumption that Cakewalk could continue to be used, just that it wouldn't be available for download anymore.   Then I had people commenting that it was going away completely and that is why they recently started requiring online activation.   So it would make sense to wonder "if".  What other reason do you think they instituted online activation?   I'm open to any theories.