Who is your favorite 80's era guitarist?

hockeyjx

31 minutes ago, craigb said:

Maybe I'm biased but, in the 80's, I got to hang out with Eddie Van Halen and got to play with Craig Goldy (who was in Rough Cut like Jake E. Lee and was Ronnie James Dio's godson), so... 😎

Craig Goldy was Dio's godson???? I did not know that. Vivian made Dio IMO, Goldy held serve.

Yeah, Craig G. lived a couple of blocks away from me in San Diego.  Well, at least when he could!  He had a tough childhood and either slept in his car or in the music store he gave lessons at (where I first met him).  Not sure how Ronnie learned about him, but he saw that he needed some help.  I bought my first real guitar from him.

• Like 1

I'm going to add Tom Scholtz (Boston fame) and Steve Bartek (from Strawberry Alarm Clock and Oingo Boingo - I used to be a forum member).  Others I appreciated for their abilities that included how well they made their playing fit into the songs they were playing were Lindsey Buckingham and Neal Schon.  I'm sure others will come to mind later.

Prince, Andy Gill of Gang of Four, Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, John McGeoch of Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bernard Sumner of New Order, Steve Stevens (with Billy Idol, not so much solo), Johnny Marr of The Smiths, Robert Smith of The Cure, Billy Zoom of X, Andy Summers of The Police, and the almighty Michael Hedges (Windham Hill Records).

• Like 3

Randy Rhoads is the reason I started playing electric guitar and went on to study classical music.

I was a big fan of EVH too, obviously.

And I’ve always felt that George Lynch was the other side of that triangle - he has qualities that remind me of both (and he also happened to teach at Rhoads’ mother music school for a while). No disrespect to Jake E. Lee, whom I very much appreciate, but I think Lynch would have done a terrific job for Ozzy - just too bad they thought he didn’t have the look for the part.

I’ve always liked Adrian Smith - nothing flashy about him but I dig his phrasing. I’ve always felt that he provides the emotional anchor to Maiden’s music - when his solo starts, the song just opens up on a whole other level.

Vivian Campbell was another one I dug.

I must mention James Hetfield -  a tremendous influence on me. It’s often more exciting to hear him playing rhythm than it is to listen to someone shredding, to me anyway.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rain said:

... I think Lynch would have done a terrific job for Ozzy - just too bad they thought he didn’t have the look for the part.

Not as bad as when Axel wouldn't let Buckethead join Guns & Roses when he refused to play without his bucket! 🤣

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Approximately 0.3812% of those on Kenny's Rolling Stone list 😁

😁

Hey strummy !

The results are in and You have just Won the highly coveted # 251 slot on Kenny's Rolling Stone list by a crushing  landslide of twice the votes to the nearest competitor .

Congratulations my friend

Kenny

• Haha 1

Put on them knee high water proof boots fellas . Here comes a real tidal wave of a whooper   😁

I wrote this speech way back in the 80's, The thing is back then and up until today , nobody ever voted for me .

For Sale cheap ! one unused acceptance speech .

Friends , fellow guitar players , and musicians ! Let me say with out hesitation that I accept this great honor of being voted the best guitarist of the 80's   

I accept this honor with pride , gratitude and a full heart . Most of all I thank you for the confidence you express in me.

Today I thank you in words . After today , I hope to translate my appreciation into deeds , and new music worthy of your continued appreciation  .

Thank you again !

all the best ,

Kenny

PS: strummy  ! It's yours for free if you want it. Change a few words here and there and use it as your landslide victory speech in the Honorary Mention section of my thread  for your win as the # 251  Greatest  Guitarists of all time .😁

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

EVH probably had the biggest impact on me of the 80’s guitarists.  He changed everything, from the innovative mix of rhythm and lead, to the tapping, to the brown tone he was getting from his rig.  It was the first time I started changing pickups in my Les Paul trying to get the tone.  We were all trying to learn to tap.  

A close second for me was Alex Lifeson.  I was more a product of the late 60’s and 70’s, however.