1. 1. Best free DAW Open source

• Ardour
    • Soundbridge
    • LMMS
    • Waveform free
    • Muse DAW
    • Audacity
    • Other

That's a really good idea for a poll/post. To be candid,  I don't even know about those DAWs. Maybe if you don't get a lot of responses it might reflect that a lot of people aren't aware of the different open source DAWs and could use a basic primer on the various options.  

• Like 1

Reaper.fm discounted license $60

You may use the discounted license if:

* You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or

* You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or

* You are an educational or non-profit organization.

3 hours ago, satya said:

Cakewalk by Bandlab or Sonar does not count . People who chose other

Actually if you get Bandlab by Cakewalk right now before it goes paid, you'll have one hell of a DAW that's been fleshed out over 30+ years for free!  It's a $500 value for free... get it before it goes paid again!

Other than Cakewalk and Abelton Live, I don't know of any other DAW that has Pwr-3 dithering!

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It is far more updated than any of those other DAWS and will be for a while.

Don't care about MAC users who spent too much money on a machine that will break the software loaded on it with the next OS update.

oh well. i guess i am out then. i invested and bought into the M1 platform hoping for better performance.

there was one guy I met on another forum that was doing some great music using Samplitude.  Not free, but that one I see goes on sale for crazy low prices as long as you are willing to buy the previous version.

Edited by telecode 101

14 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

oh well. i guess i am out then. i invested and bought into the M1 platform hoping for better performance.

there was one guy I met on another forum that was doing some great music using Samplitude.  Not free, but that one I see goes on sale for crazy low prices as long as you are willing to buy the previous version.

Are you seeing the performance you hoped for related to audio specifically?  Is everything M1 native that you want to use?

Anyone with talent can create great music using any DAW (even free GarageBand on the Mac) as long as it can record audio.  But at the same time Cakewalk has ~30 years worth of updates, feature build outs, etc under the hood with dedicated paid teams.  It simply is going to have more to offer for those that want it than these fly by night systems or even more limited resource houses.