ROB PAPEN RG RHYTHM GUITAR PLUGIN for $19

Frank

https://www.jrrshop.com/rob-papen-rg

RG is a unique groove plug-in that is far more than just a "virtual Rhythm Guitar player!

New released RG 1.5 included 'Muted Guitar' model.

By using the RG onboard sequencer it is possible to create classic Rhythm Guitar grooves, but beyond that you can use the synthesizer features and effects to make fresh new edgy guitar grooves. To play the grooves RG is using a keyboard layout of "major chords" and "minor chords", each with two sequence patterns (A or B) option.
It is only a matter of hitting a single note in the major keyboard range or minor keyboard range and the groove plays. The sound sets are clean sampled guitars, which gives you great freedom and flexibility when using the synthesizer features and effects of RG.

RG 1.5 Guitar types included are:

- The classic Fender Stratocaster ? electric guitar (major and minor7 chords)
- A 8th note groove type Steel String acoustic guitar (major and minor chords)
- A 16th note groove type Steel String acoustic guitar (major and minor chords)
- A Power Chord groove type Distorted guitar ( 5ths chords / absense of 3rd)
- Muted Low and Muted High groove type guitar (single notes / no chords)

The synthesizer parts of RG include a classic analog modelled synthesizer filter, LFO, envelopes and modulation section. The effect section can be built up by using up to 3 effects at a time. Included are midi time-based delays, chorus and also speaker simulators, phaser, flanger and many more. Included are over 1000 presets included 850 "RG" grooves and 300 "basic" grooves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks! I was looking at this because there was a Muted Guitar (I think) by Rob Papen in the Computer Music freebies that was actually pretty good and it put this dev on my radar.  I listened to the demos on this and am sold.  It will definitely be fun to play around with.

• Like 3

Dissenting opinion from a long time virtual guitar user. I thought some of the demos sounded kind of okay and others sounded pretty bad. The recordings of guitar sounded badly recorded -- or the effects made it sound that way -- and some of the strumming sounded very unauthentic, even though it claimed to use recordings of a real guitar some of the strumming sounded very poor and clunky. I would suggest that if anyone is looking for sampled strumming,  NI's Session Guitarist line is a far better choice and goes on sake for around $50 USD during NI'S major sales. If you're willing to put in the time, you can do any kind of strum you want with Orange Tree Samples Evolution libraries (disclosure: I've consulted to them and had a good deal of input on the initial Evolution line). Even though I'm not crazy about their design, UJAM's series is also far superior to this as is a strummer from Wavesfactory (I can't recall the name, but it may be strum) or Pettinhouse libraries. When I listened to some of the demos, the recording quality of the guitar reminded me of the first version of Music Lab's RealGuitar, which significantly improved the sample quality since then (this was two decades ago) and would also be a far superior alternative to this plugin, IMO. 

Anyhow,  there are a good deal of superior alternatives to this. Not necessarily at the $17 USD price point, but candidly,  I don't think what I've heard would make that worth it either.  It's better to spend more to get something that actually sounds good. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Dissenting opinion from a long time virtual guitar user. . . .

Anyhow,  there are a good deal of superior alternatives to this. Not necessarily at the $17 USD price point, but candidly,  I don't think what I've heard would make that worth it either.  It's better to spend more to get something that actually sounds good. 

Respecting your opinion based on your experience (i.e., not attacking you at all), how does RP's RG (admittedly based on the demos) compare with AAS's Strum, IK's Guitar Libraries/Samples, and MeldaProduction's guitar samples (if you have any experience with any or all of those.  Thanks.   

55 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Respecting your opinion based on your experience (i.e., not attacking you at all), how does RP's RG (admittedly based on the demos) compare with AAS's Strum, IK's Guitar Libraries/Samples, and MeldaProduction's guitar samples (if you have any experience with any or all of those.  Thanks.   

I don't own AAS Strum, but it uses physical modeling and isn't going to fool anyone that it's a real guitar (I probably own 20 AAS synth packs, but that's not one of them). That said, I suspect that IK is going to introduce a physically modeled guitar library at some point, and based on MODO Bass, which I own, I bet it will be pretty good. The two Italian developers that do modeling that specialize in orchestral instruments, one is Sample Modeling,  I forget the other's company name, are excellent at what they do and if they decide to do guitars, I bet they would do a very good job in the near future. 

I don't have the Melda library and it wasn't on my radar. Years ago I tried their piano library and didn't love it, so I didn't go the Melda sampler/samples route. I own IK's SampleTank 4 Max, but candidly,  rarely use it. However, the recording quality of the individual samples from IK are always excellent. Their sampler format/libraries aren't as sophisticated as better KONTAKT or UVI libraries in terms of velocity layers,  round robins or scripting,, but the individual samples are excellent. I do own an acoustic guitar library from SampleTank and it's pretty nice. The tone of the recorded samples is beautiful,  IMO. Of course,  it's not as sophisticated as Orange Tree Samples libraries, but I got it as a freebie with a purchase and it's nice. It doesn't sound fake like the Papen stuff.  But I'm not aware of an IK recorded electric guitar strum library.  

Once again,  all of this is just my personal opinion and others may have very different opinions. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Walter Cruz said:

4 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

Yes, seems interesting, but the price that @Walter Cruz shared ($ 17.02) has changed... 😔

3 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

It is, but it seems very good for highly effected parts, it will have its uses! I managed to pick it up for$17.02 +VAT, less some loyally points from Best Service.

I suspected the pricing was a glitch (either that or they were allocated a limited number to sell at that price) and that all of these sales will sooner than later evaporate.
Some of the voicings/patches are crap but I like a couple (like the steel string acoustic strumming) enough that I thought it was worth picking up and so I grabbed a copy after seeing Walter's post.

@PavlovsCat raises some good points though I strongly disagree with at least couple of his choices.
But as they say YMMV, what works for me may not work as well for you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

@PavlovsCat raises some good points though I strongly disagree with at least couple of his choices.
But as they say YMMV, what works for me may not work as well for you.

And that, my friends, is a superb example of how to respectfully disagree with someone in a forum or IRL . Nothing but respect for you, @TheSteven

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5
  • Great Idea 1

25 minutes ago, Paul_in_wales said:

Just bought from KVR at $19 - not that I have great interest in this specifically, but it's a cheap way to add another RP title to my existing, bumping up the discount for explorer to tempting levels.

What other RP plugins do you have and like?

@PavlovsCat For the record, I'm not looking for a "convincing guitar" sound out of this but something to quickly get an interesting part down. As @Fleer pointed out, it's got a synthy feel to it which is OK. I remember first playing with the CM version and how quickly I was able to put down a part I liked on the song I was working on. So really, it's about different flavors and workflow.

If I want a convincing guitar part, I've got a couple of the plugins you mentioned and could put the time into learning them. Or I could try and muddle it out myself.  Or better yet, phone a friend!  :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

IMO AAS strum can sound ok in the mix but ironically fingerpicked and not strummed. Their engine is pretty tweakable, I like that a lot. For electric guitars, if you use an external amp, you can get decent results. But it really depends on the type of music you want to make.

IK has well recorded samples, but not a lot of articulations. The word on the block is that at some point they will release Modo Guitar, but no one confirmed anything from their side.

What guitar samples does Melda have? I have their whole catalog and didn't know about this 🙂

Btw, Pianoteq 8 also has a guitar (classical). They will most certainly add more guitars to their instrument collection in the future. You can download a free demo.

Edited by Milan
  • Thanks 1