RIP Avid.

Will.

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Mostly Meh!

Unless you're a ProTools user, in which case this is likely to be an ongoing frustration. It never bodes well when a company is taken over by a private equity firm, which only cares about profits - not product quality, staffing or customer support. They will slowly drive consumers away (mostly to Logic) while milking existing products for the last drips of profit until they eventually auction off the office furniture.

But for those of us happy to live in a Cakewalk world exclusively, then yeh, mostly meh.

• Like 2

I'm a ProTools Studio (perpetual) owner. I bought it on sale for like $249 IIRC. I have maintenance paid for until 15 September 2027 (got three years at an astonishingly low sale price).

For me it's mostly meh, for now.

I'll probably never record or mix (again) in ProTools. I'm a die hard Studio One user these days.

21 hours ago, Will. said:

Everyone is a die hard STone user these days. They stole most of our feature requests. 😭

I wouldn't say "stole", it's more like they "listened", to their customers. 

S1 won me over when I was able to run it flawlessly with low latency, low enough to track guitar and vocals with vsts with no noticeable latency, on an i5 650 iirc using SD cards after my audio drive died. I did that for years until I eventually built a new DAW. 

I still miss the look of SPE 8.5 and how you can customize the look but I got past it and moved on.

That said, I'm pretty much done with music so I really don't care one way or the other about Avid or any of them anymore. It's all turned in to a money grab. My DAW has been boxed up for quite a while now and my gear is in storage.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Will. said:

For the love of Bugs Bunny! Why?

Have you tried to venture into different aspects of the production side? Dont give up on being part of it. 

I recently moved from a 4400 square foot house with a studio to a 700 square foot apartment.

I give up on everything. Lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I recently moved from a 4400 square foot house with a studio to a 700 square foot apartment.

Hang in there. 

I'm in a debate about what these AI technology means for us - the project home based producers that are linked to major studios. Theres a group of 100+ producers, singers and song writters in all corners of the industry that wants to protest for awareness for this. AI has already killed few careers out there. 

Its a tough one. 

26 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I live alone, and went from an 1800 sq. ft. townhouse in the U.S. to a 550 sq. ft. apartment in France. I donated all of my DVDs and Blu-rays and 75% of my CDs and all of my furniture to a local charity 2nd hand shop before I left. Because of tax laws in France, you can't find unfurnished apartments or houses to rent. Buy empty or rent furnished. I got to know my landlady and she kindly allowed to remove the furniture in the second bedroom (which just barely held a double bed and has no closet. The one CD rack I brought with me is in the 2nd bathroom, blocking the sink. I invested in 2 König & Meyer guitar stands and can now get 10 basses in the space where I had 3 tripod stands. I bought a small desk and a 17" laptop to replace the desktop that I left behind. I bought a couple of 6.5" Focal monitors to replace the large monitors I sold. I replaced the Rumble 200 I sold with a Rumble Studio 40. It all fits. Just barely.

If you have one or more kids, then you need the second bedroom. If not, then a small studio is possible. I am slowing learning how to live in much less space. Good luck with your transition.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I live alone, and went from an 1800 sq. ft. townhouse in the U.S. to a 550 sq. ft. apartment in France. I donated all of my DVDs and Blu-rays and 75% of my CDs and all of my furniture to a local charity 2nd hand shop before I left. Because of tax laws in France, you can't find unfurnished apartments or houses to rent. Buy empty or rent furnished. I got to know my landlady and she kindly allowed to remove the furniture in the second bedroom (which just barely held a double bed and has no closet. The one CD rack I brought with me is in the 2nd bathroom, blocking the sink. I invested in 2 König & Meyer guitar stands and can now get 10 basses in the space where I had 3 tripod stands. I bought a small desk and a 17" laptop to replace the desktop that I left behind. I bought a couple of 6.5" Focal monitors to replace the large monitors I sold. I replaced the Rumble 200 I sold with a Rumble Studio 40. It all fits. Just barely.

If you have one or more kids, then you need the second bedroom. If not, then a small studio is possible. I am slowing learning how to live in much less space. Good luck with your transition.

On the bright side, you're living in France.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I wouldn't say "stole", it's more like they "listened", to their customers. 

S1 won me over when I was able to run it flawlessly with low latency, low enough to track guitar and vocals with vsts with no noticeable latency, on an i5 650 iirc using SD cards after my audio drive died. I did that for years until I eventually built a new DAW. 

I still miss the look of SPE 8.5 and how you can customize the look but I got past it and moved on.

That said, I'm pretty much done with music so I really don't care one way or the other about Avid or any of them anymore. It's all turned in to a money grab. My DAW has been boxed up for quite a while now and my gear is in storage.

Shane,

Say it isn't so,!!!   Never stop recording or mixing, you continue until they remove your lifeless stiff rigamortis fingers from the control surface faders.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

Les Paul recorded three Top 10 hits in hotel rooms. Physical space need not be a limitation.

I have a 3,000 sq ft house, but I only shower and sleep there. Most of my days are spent in a 400 sq ft garage with the windows permanently nailed shut. It's not even a proper studio, just a garage cloaked in a Home Depot's worth of rigid fiberglass.

I'm guessing your frustration has other reasons beyond a downsized living space.

• Like 2

Change is stressful!  When I lost everything, I went from a 3,600 sq. ft. house to a 90 sq. ft. bedroom at a friend's house! 😮

Things DO get better Shane!  Just figure out what lesson the Universe is trying to teach you and go with the flow. 🙂

• Like 1

From 4400 sq ft. living space to 700 is going to take some getting use to.  We currently live in a 1700sq ft. split-level house and sometimes we feel tight and other times we are like it is too big.  Main thing is storage and hobby room(s)  LOL.  I could make do with a smaller place as the upkeep is getting to me.  Alas upper age is getting to us.  We did major housework yesterday with patching and painting from a remodeled bathroom because of water damage.  My wife and I this morning are very sore this morning. At least it is mostly done now.

• Like 2