Automated mixing or plug in?

Simple Verse

Hi

is here any function in Cakewalk to let it automatically mix all the tracks and create proper EQ settings for each tracks? Os is there perhaps any plug in that does it? So that I could set it on all the tracks and then it would communicate with all the instances of itself and create balanced mix proposals to choose? Like for bass, kick drum, lead synth, pads, hihats, snare, lead vocals, backing vocals and so forth. Creating room for each instrument/track and come up with balanced master output.

I looked up Wavesfactory EQUALIZER demos but I did not understand if it works that way. And Trackspacer might need manual settings too.

If you want to throw in the bucks, you could get something like iZotope's Neutron 4. It has the Visual mixer which can find some kind of initial balance between your tracks. It can also suggest basic settings for each track's EQ, compression and whatnot. Then you can also use the Unmask module to carve space for important tracks in tracks that have a supporting role.

This is still quite a bit of clicking and making settings, and knowing what to go for. Neutron won't be able to set up your mix all by itself, but it sure can help.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Just put the work in and learn something....

https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Engineers-Handbook-5th/dp/1946837121

Bobby is great. I went to a NAMN session with him. He knows his stuff. 

You can also learn from Neutron and other “Smart” tools by studying what they did. 

Edited by Max Arwood
Added info

I think the whole premise of the question is kinda flawed here.   The assumption is that you need EQ, compression or a bunch of effects in order to mix a song.

This may turn out to be true in the end, but the assumption that you need to EQ all your tracks is starting out on the wrong foot IMO.

EQ and compression should be viewed as problem solvers, i.e.:

• EQ - to make space in tracks so they don't clash with other ones and allow each part to be heard; remove frequencies that are problematic or too dominant
  • Compression - reduce dynamic range to give a more even performance  and/or add punch; add glue to the mix bus

Start off with just using the faders and pan knobs to create a good balance.  Then listen. Only then use EQ and/or compression where it's needed.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

I remember trying an automatic mastering program back in the Windows XP days...it took forever to do it's thing and sounded dreadful. 

At this point there is no plugin that can create a full mix automatically, as mentioned Izotope Neuron can help as can the Sonible Smart range of plugins but these plugins can't read your mind so they can't really know what you're aiming for and you might not like what they do in any given situation.

I'm sure over time  things will advance in this area as a byproduct of some of these generative AI models that are springing up but really the best thing is to learn how to mix yourself which only really comes with practice. 

I can whole heartedly reccommend the book " Mixing Secrets for The Small Studio " by Mike Senior. I worked with Mike when I needed to get my mixes TV ready and after working through the book went on to invest in some pro critique with him. Suffice to say I've had hundreds of my mixes in TV shows now and nobody asked me to change anything but all done from a modest home studio. 

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1

Neutron Visual Mixer.

1 - Insert as many STEREE BUSes as there are in your production line (VOICE, VOCALS, FEMALE VOCALS, DRUMS, GUITARS, GUITARS, KEYBOARDS, PERCUSSIONS, ETC.)
2 - Insert the RELAY plugin in each of these BUSes.
3 - Insert the NEUTRON VISUAL MIXER plugin in the MASTER.

From there, all you have to do is distribute the elements according to your taste.

I think this saves a lot of academic approaches on the subject that you can return to in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvZe9R1UOt0&pp=ugMICgJwdBABGAHKBSBjb21vIHVzYXIgbyBORVVUUk9OIFZJU1VBTCBNSVhFUg%3D%3D