Buying Guitars Online + ES-339

57Gregy

How many of you have bought guitars online? Of course, you can't play them first, but I've played those models in the store. 
Were you satisfied with them? You probably had to do a little setting-up but that would be expected. I would rather have one that hasn't been played by every pimply-faced EVH wannabe in town.

I like the smaller size of the 339 versus the 335 (I'm not a big person) but over the years I have read some folks here saying they were 'crap' or words to that effect. Why? I didn't notice any difference from the 335 (Epiphones, not Gibsons). 

If you have played these guitars, what is your opinion of them? 

Thanks.

I bought a Gibson Songwriter deluxe and got an SG Gibson included from sweetwater years ago. Both were prepared beautifully and delivered with care. However, I never did really enjoy either one. My advice, go to a shop and play one!!. Oh, and I own the late 80s model Gibson Epiphone Sheraton, same as a 335, love its feel and sound. 

Edited by Tony Carpenter
missed something.
  • Like 2

Personally, I would never buy a guitar online.  I recall playing over 30 Les Paul's at a Guitar Center and only about two felt good straight off the wall.  Guitars, properly packed and insured, are a nightmare to return if I got one and it felt like crap to play.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Modern manufacturing being what it is, unless you are buying an actual custom guitar that is actually hand made by an actual luthier, one is the same as the next one.

Definitely not my experience!  And part of the reason I went with custom guitars.

• Like 2

Another vote for bricks and mortar here, never done it any other way. I've bought my last three guitars from the same store (it's a 60-mile round trip for me), the buying experience and after sales is second to none - I would simply never go anywhere else.

A mate a mine is an avid guitar collector and buys almost all of his guitars online and on eBay, he's rarely had a problem but he's on first name terms with his local guitar tech. 😉

Andy

• Like 1

I’ve played numerous ES-339’s. 
They are NOT created equal. 
I loved the one I had, the previous owner (who I feel is trustworthy) said he had sifted thru about 20 of them. 
They can be great, but as they vary so much I would advise you “try” before you buy. 
t
I got it in a trade for a 2003 R9, you know the “We finally got it right” Brazilian board year? what a perfect POS! with some nut work I finally got it to play, but I was never satisfied with it. 
you think Henry screwed us with “lifetime” updates? That’s nothing compared to the way he handled the guitars. 
some of the custom shop stuff is great, but buyer beware….

I tried to buy an R9 that was “reliced” by R&S. Maybe the best burst I ever played. As good as any I played on my “big guitar hunts” back in the 70’s. 
In an original case it would have been indistinguishable from an actual ‘59. 

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 3

bought 10-15 new guitars online.

Epiphone many years ago had quality issues, but my new LP in 2015 was fine and their 'bad years' have long gone.

That said, lot of factories now and then still somehow ship a real bad one out...

Guess it will need some/little setup work, but shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

I had a Carvin TL60 made years ago and I like it, but I don't love it. I sold it to a friend, but the guy actually gave it back to me for free!

Now, I have a Les Paul, a Taylor and a Schecter I bought used. I played them and they all inspired me to play, so I bought them. Heck, I didn't even intend to buy the Schecter, but it felt so good in my hand I HAD to buy it. The Taylor was chosen after I tried every acoustic at Mars music.

So, when people ask me what brand to get, I say try them all and get what inspires you to play. Simple as that.

I wouldn't buy a guitar online at this point. I'd only buy something I tried first.

Edited by hockeyjx
  • Like 1

I have bought three guitars online. First.one was a Carvin DC 400. When I unpacked it, it was in excellent shape. Neck and frets felt like it had been played for years.

The two recent online purchases have been Epiphones. Quality of the craftsmanship is excellent.  My only complaint is the frets and fretboard do need to to be polished.  Otherwise I have no regrets about these online purchases.  

Just to put this in perspective,  I did purchase used guitars from my local Guitar Center, and deals I came across, in between the purchase of the Carvin and the Epiphones.

[edit] My brother-in-law over the last year and a half has purchased at least 10 - 15 guitars all online. I have played almost every one of them and they are all keepers. If he finds something wrong with them (and he has) he gets with the salesman and they knock so much off the price. Out of all those guitars he bought he has not returned a single one. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I like the smaller size of the 339 versus the 335 (I'm not a big person) but over the years I have read some folks here saying they were 'crap' or words to that effect. Why? I didn't notice any difference from the 335 (Epiphones, not Gibsons). 

The only real difference I have read is that the body on 339's resonates more focused on mid-range due to its smaller size. I have never played one, but that can be compensated with EQ.

I have bought a few guitars online and as long at the bridge and truss rod are easily adjustable and you know how to set them up properly, they can save a lot of money. The electronics can be hit or miss (especially for the pots), so I always make the assumption I will need to replace electronics. That being said, the pots in the 335/339s are the biggest PITA to swap out (you literally want to run a few feet of heavy thread with the pot when you pull it so you can get the new one to feed back into place easily). The bridge pickup I typically replace, and I had one where the bridge was pot metal, so replaced that with a Wilkinson Locking Roller Bridge. It is about $100 more to replace all those parts. Tapping/dressing frets is another possibility, and the nut might need to be filed down (I have noticed the nuts are way high from some places for some reason, but posted a quick fix for that here (very bottom of that post)).

All that said... besides the pots, another quirk with the 335s is that they are head-heavy, so want to floor dive when standing up. There are straps which have enough friction to counter this, or you can simply run a string to the peg side of the nut rather than use the neck joint strap mount with them.

• Like 2

I don't know why I feel the need for a new guitar. I have hardly played in months. Maybe because the ES-335 is the last of the guitar on my Guitars I Want To Own list.
I've had Stratocasters and Les Pauls. I've had SGs and an EB whatever (we just called them SG basses) and a Precision. Telecaster, too. Of all the guitars I saw being played by people I like, the 335 is missing. I would like to have one before the end. And I'm a lot closer to the end than the beginning! 😁 
Maybe something new will spark a desire to play more like that new Strat did 5 years ago.

I have played them in The Store That Shall Not Be Named, so I have a good idea which one to get, but I was wanting one that wasn't greasy or sticky or Jimi-tongued to death.

Lots of good advice and experiences here. The general tone is, buy online but there may be problems or buy online and there will be problems. Thanks!

I have found that they all are pretty much alike (in the store). I may not be as discerning as others, but they pretty much feel like 'guitars'. I probably don't know what to look for, but they're all fine instruments.

I doubt I'll ever be modifying any guitar, so that is not an issue. The only time I did something like that was converting a 6-string Trutone guitar into a bass when I was 15. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 57Gregy said:

I doubt I'll ever be modifying any guitar, so that is not an issue.

That may be a reason to consider getting one in a store. They can be cleaned up very nicely and you will at least KNOW what you are getting. Online stuff can very much be hit-or-miss, unless you are buying from a good source that will check that before sending it (like Sweetwater).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mettelus said:

buying from a good source that will check that before sending it (like Sweetwater).

I can say that most the guitars that my brother-in-law got were from Sweetwater. The more expensive ones came from SW. He did get three from Harley Benton that I haven't played yet, so... have no idea how they ship. But for the price you almost can't go wrong!!

Check this out: $229 (before shipping)

https://harleybenton.com/product/hb-35plus-ch/

• Like 1

Had a bunch of Harley Benton guitars....can recommend their Custom series.

I have a DC custom that is just built like a tank, plays great....came with Grover tuners, Graphtec nut and Wilkinson pu's / hardware....paid 129 for it...?

Their 'cheaper' series I find not so great....and need a lot of setup/fret work.

Personally I would spend 100 more on fe an Ibanez Artcore then.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/ibanez_am53_srf_artcore.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for the options.
I should have mentioned that GC is where I have credit. Pretty much anything musical I buy from them.
Other folks have mentioned problems dealing with them, but I've never had any.
This whole fred has been rendered moot, I think, since the guy there told me that if you order something online and a local store has it, they will ship it to you rather than from some warehouse in Nebraska, so I would be getting the floor model anyway 😳 in which case I'll just go pick it up (if I buy), reducing the chances of it getting damaged or lost or winding up at Bit's house.

• Like 1