We have been updated!!! ​😮​

craigb

Yeah, on desktop there's a summary of the thread on the right. Kind of annoying, honestly.

I think the bulk of things are more or less working again now, which would have been the priority for @Jesse Jost to tick off first, but I'd say there's still a good amount on the list that still needs fixing. The mobile version especially is still missing some stuff like the Notifications and Messages items in the top bar and things like that (probably cut off because the padding isn't set correctly yet).

I think that side bar has a positive side effect (no pun intended); it makes each post become less wide which in turn makes it easier to read. The rows are otherwise on the verge of being uncomfortably wide on my WQHD monitor.

However, for anyone who desperately wants to get rid of it, and also got AdBlock Plus installed in their web browser, you can always add a custom filter to remove it completely. I did exactly that, but in the end decided to return to the way it was for the reason mentioned above.

• Great Idea 1

Funny thing is, on my music computer with Win10 I get the bar on the right. On my home PC that I am using right now, there is no bar!! I have no idea why it's there on my music PC and not this one.

Missing the notifications thing up on top of the page too.

5 hours ago, craigb said:

Is that a phone question?  I don't see any new right column!

At least in my phone, it appears right below the first post of a new page. And because it was not dimensioned with the page layout, it clips the top banner.

I was gonna upload a screenshot, but I don't seem to be able to do it from mobile. After I select a file to upload, it deletes my entire post text, which then gets restored after I click the text box again.

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Funny thing is, on my music computer with Win10 I get the bar on the right. On my home PC that I am using right now, there is no bar!! I have no idea why it's there on my music PC and not this one.

Missing the notifications thing up on top of the page too.

No bar?

Where is a man supposed to get a drink? 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Grem said:

On my phone, the page number of threads is a nice color. 

On my desktop they are faded, unless I hover my mouse over them, then they get brighter.

Likewise, sans the "nice color" part.

On Desktop, the contrast ratio is so low you can't even notice the threads have multiple pages if you don't squint.

using Firefox in both cases.

This is all obviously still a work in progress. There's still a lot of stuff that's broken and missing, especially on mobile. I would suggest the goal is to get as functional as possible as quickly as possible and then knock off the rough edges as time permits.

Basically, I think we should be a bit patient - this isn't the mix, this is the drum edit and vocal comps. Dunno if I'd like to have a client sitting on the studio couch complaining that the mastering is all wrong when I'm still trying to get his snare to sound good.

I do notice that even the Theme selection is no longer there at the bottom of the page now and it was mentioned that a lot of the new forum software wasn't entirely backwards compatible with the customisations that were done in the past, so I'd say that'll all be returning (hopefully with different forum theme options as well).

My guess is it was more that there was issues with the Legacy site that was preventing people from seeing documentation, etc. so it seemed like an opportune time for the back-end team in Singapore to put in the latest patches and updates while the configs were being sorted out, plus I'm sure you guys have seen the big wad of forum spam we've had over the last couple of weeks too - new software = better spam fighting tools. But it looks like that put a lot of the custom stuff back to square one due to incompatibilities.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Basically, I think we should be a bit patient - this isn't the mix, this is the drum edit and vocal comps. Dunno if I'd like to have a client sitting on the studio couch complaining that the mastering is all wrong when I'm still trying to get his snare to sound good.

While I do understand the comparison, I don't think you're gonna find a single engineer in the world that will deliver you a partially completed rough mix. Why can't they do all the changes they want to do somewhere else then add them all at once? That was what XDA did when they changed their forum layout.

• Haha 1

This isn't XDA. This is a small team with other jobs, plus they need to coordinate between the US and Singapore too, and sometimes with these kind of updates, things aren't always so cut and dried as far as updates goes.

But analogies and theories aside, complaining that a colour is wrong or some standard isn't being followed when there's very obviously work still being done isn't particularly useful. I'm pretty sure that when this update was put into progress, the devs didn't go "hey you know what would be fun? Let's break the top nav bar so nobody can see the notification and messages icons because... lolz."  It's very obvious it's still being worked on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

But analogies and theories aside, complaining that a colour is wrong or some standard isn't being followed when there's very obviously work still being done isn't particularly useful

Personally I don't think it's reasonable to complain about complaints when they are the result of lack of communication from people who, based on the fiasco that was the introduction of the paid versions of Cakewalk software a short while ago, should've known better at this point.

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

It's very obvious it's still being worked on.

It is very obvious to you, the other moderators and BandLab. I don't think it's clear it isn't obvious for regular users because there are at least two confused posts asking about what's happening with the forums.

• Haha 1