Jamstix (NOT a deal)

jude77

Hey Folks:

I was working with jamstix today and realized it hasn't been updated in years.  Has Ray given up on it?  Are there plans for any new developments?   I always thought it was a powerful piece of software and hate to see it simply fade away if that is what's happening.

Personally I find it unethical to continue to sell Jamstix with a total lack of support or any indication that you'll even be able to authenticate it in the future.

It seems that, from information in the JS forum, Ray is still alive and kicking therefore he should make some kind of statement.

Edited by simon

2 hours ago, simon said:

Personally I find it unethical to continue to sell Jamstix with a total lack of support or any indication that you'll even be able to authenticate it in the future.

It seems that, from information in the JS forum, Ray is still alive and kicking therefore he should make some kind of statement.

Got a link that actually indicates someone got confirmation he is still around?  I searched about a month ago and couldn't find a single post that anyone had been able to contact him including moderators.

I also hope he is ok and hope he and his family have a plan in place.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Got a link that actually indicates someone got confirmation he is still around?

I also hope he is ok and hope he and his family have a plan in place.  

obviously I hope he's ok too 

the forum link posted above showed somebody is filing tax returns and seems to indicate he opened a new company AFTER the date he went radio silence.

Somebody is also paying for and maintaining his website and authorisation system.  His email address doesn't bounce

either way somebody is taking money from new customers !

• Like 1

It's just mind-boggling that he won't give some sort of update.  How can you run a company and think that's acceptable? Or if he's indisposesd, then someone from the family or friends could give an update.

Just bizarre.  I love Jamstix, but I'm not hopful about its future.

This is sad news  :(  for the development of Jamstix but I hope Ralph is okay. 

It is the price when dealing with small developers.  I love Mobilesheets Sheetmusic software too but it is basically a one man developer. So if anything happens to "Mike"  I worry what will become of this great software. 

• Like 1

TBH I have never wrapped my head around Jamstix and I own the whole lot of products. Maybe I just did not spend enough time with it. At my age time is a precious commodity.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

TBH I have never wrapped my head around Jamstix and I own the whole lot of products. Maybe I just did not spend enough time with it. At my age time is a precious commodity.

I have to admit I feel the same way about a lot of software as I get older.  My daughter just yesterday taught be something about my Android Phone that I didn't know I could do 😆   it was something simple to do and I was like really and my daughter was like "Duh Dad"   😮  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Jamstix is the cleverest, most useful audio plugin ever developed.  If you have in your head a drum part, Jamstix can be fiddly and hard to tame.  But if you have a vague idea and are looking for inspiration, Jamstix is the GOAT.  I have written entire song parts around what Jamstix generates.  Its like having a drummer who says… “what if I do this?”  Only, he doesn’t complain when you reject the idea and do something else. 

I use Jamstix all the time.  Ralph should be rich living on the French Riviera having sold his incredible IP to any of the big-name drum packages.  If he ever does return and release an upgrade, I will buy it immediately... without even waiting for a sale!

• Like 8
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Lack of how to is the problem.  I never upgraded.

• Like 1

I just heard back from Ralph—just as helpful as ever, manning every desk in the shop.  I did ask if anything was on the horizon but haven’t heard back.  It was only an hour ago.

I find it hard to get my head around it at times but that’s me bichin’ about the interface more than anything.  The guy that did a multi-part in-depth YouTube series on Jamstix 4 was WAY too deep, and there’s not much else in terms of tutorials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Marc Cormier said:

I just heard back from Ralph—just as helpful as ever, manning every desk in the shop.  I did ask if anything was on the horizon but haven’t heard back.  It was only an hour ago.

I find it hard to get my head around it at times but that’s me bichin’ about the interface more than anything.  The guy that did a multi-part in-depth YouTube series on Jamstix 4 was WAY too deep, and there’s not much else in terms of tutorials.

You can tell him he needs to update the security certificate on the website while you are at it.  😂

I really do wonder if Ralph is behind the support and customer communication now though.  

I haven't seen anyone post anything yet that couldn't have been taken care of by someone else, this not really sure if he is still active.

Agree we need some good tutorials, I like the program but only in the context of let it do whatever it wants and I'll create something to match it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

but only in the context of let it do whatever it wants and I'll create something to match it.

Which is the complete opposite to the way I work. I use stoopid drums to start the demo and then usually live drums after all the live players and vox are done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

This is great news.  It's good to know he's ok.  Hopefully, he'll respond.