Spitfire BBC Orchestra Updated

cclarry

On 7/1/2023 at 9:45 AM, Hillmy said:

I ran into an issue with the VST3 version not running after update, but I fixed the problem and it now works. The problem was that it created a folder called ".vst3" at the end of the name so Cakewalk assumed the folder was the file and it couldn't load it. So the solution is to rename the folder without ".vst3" at the end of the name, then it will work. 

Just wanted to share in case someone has the same problem and doesn't know what to do.

Thanks, but I'm still getting the same error message even after renaming the folder. I see no other such entries. Did it require re-scanning the plugin (vst3)

Just an FYI based on this thread at VI-Control: the latest update may cause the plugin and preset/sample files to become 'out-of-sync'.

The link I provided starts at page 32 where the discussion about the issue seems to start (I didn't read all 30+ pages).

I thought I'd post the info here to save folks time if they encounter this issue.  I'm going to wait to update to be safe.

Edited by locrian
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, locrian said:

the latest update may cause the plugin and preset/sample files to become 'out-of-sync'.

FYI - my BBCSO Pro is currently broken after the update (windows 10 - Nuendo 11/12)

Edited by simon

[Solved]

See bottom edit...

I'm really twisted now...

I finally was forced to do a full reset of 1.5 followed by a repair of 1.7... yet when it loads, it shows 1.5 and no piano?

I'm stymied... Glad ta meetcha!

ok... many tries later...

Finally allowed to re-install 1.5, then it wouldn't show the update. I ran the 1.7 repair and still no go...

Then it showed 1.5 as uninstalled???

So I installed and closed the spitfire updater. 1.5 installed and working....

Finally reopening their loader showed the 1.7 update. so I ran it, back to can't open

I reopened their loader again and it again showed the 1.7 update so I ran it again!

Still giving me grief with loading the vst folder and showing the pah with the .vst3 extension even though I renamed it???

What am I missing??? What a mess!

Situation still the same vst3 won't load, but the vst2 loads fine and I can hear the piano. It does sound very natural. A few oddities in the samples, but nothing unforgiving (I don't think so, anyway)...

Other than the slight dynamics control there are no other controls or adjustments... Still not bad in a free version. Piano sounds full in and of itself...

Still need to solve the vst3 dilemma though. I have renamed the folder but continue to receive an error message showing the folder with the .vst3 end on it...

sheesh!

Ha! Figured it out...

Not related to renaming the folder...

I read the info displayed in Plugin Manager and it displayed the vst3's expected location to be in the common folder... It was not!

So I copied the vst3 file into the common vst3 folder (program files/common files/vst3) and now all is well...

Be on the lookout for this oddity too... I'm guessing that if I re-scanned all the plugins (uhg!) It may have solved it? Oh well... Fixed is fixed. I'll do my best to remember in case any issues come up...

But sweet... It really is a great sampled piano as far as my poor ears can tell... I can see the urge to buy core or producer to gain all the room sound... We'll see if life grants me money some day...

Whew!

Edited by Keni

2 hours ago, locrian said:

Did the update break it?

updating the various contents to 1.7 but leaving the plugin at 1.5 broke it for me.  I'm not given an option to update that to 1,7

Edited by simon

So I figured out a fix for all the problems. It seems weird but it works since I tried multiple methods. Before I get into it. I just wanted to mention that the whole ".vst3" at the end of the folder name should not be an issue and that Cakewalk actually has no problem with other folders that have the same thing. I have multiple folders from other plugins the same way. So I advice that you do not rename them at all. I found a better way. I assume the problem arose because the original location of the VST3 in the previous version  was without a folder.

So what I advise is to manually uninstall it this way:

Go into the Spitfire program and click on the plugin to bring up the menus for it. In my case I have Discover. So it will show BBCSO Discover and BBCSO Plugin. Both have a grayed out button that says installed and next to it "Repair" and a cog wheel settings icon. You will want to click on the icon and select Reset. Then select "Entire Library". Do this for both. The grayed out "Installed" button will switch to "Install", DO NOT click it. Close the program instead. Then go into your VST3 folder and delete the file and/or folder for BBC Symphony Orchestra. Then go into your install folder. In my case it is just in /Documents/Spitfire but for you it may be somewhere else if you chose another location than the default. Delete the "Spitfire Audio - BBC Symphony Orchestra" folder. Then when you are done, go into the Spitfire program and click install for the BBC Symphony Orchestra. DO NOT rename the folder it installed the plugin to, instead go into Cakewalk and let it complete the plugin scan then go into the plugin manager. Since I use a layout for plugins for instruments and FX to keep them organized, I select my instruments layout file and remove where I had the plugin listed. Then I select the plugin category for VST3 Instruments and select BBC Symphony Orchestra. At the bottom where it says filename I make sure it says the correct path. For me it did. It should show as "c:\program files\common files\VST3\BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit).vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit).vst3". Then I add the plugin to my layout and hit the save icon. Now when you go to load a plugin it usually shows you a list of the most recent plugins you opened. Do not open the plugin through there this time. Open it from the selection so the recent list has the correct path this time. The plugin should open without an issue now and all the instruments should work and the plugin will show version 1.7. 

37 minutes ago, Hillmy said:

the whole ".vst3" at the end of the folder name should not be an issue and that Cakewalk actually has no problem with other folders that have the same thing. I have multiple folders from other plugins the same way. So I advice that you do not rename them at all. I found a better way. I assume the problem arose because the original location of the VST3 in the previous version  was without a folder...

I thought about the same, if there wasn't any change to the name of the folder and it's exactly same as the plugin previously it could be that cakewalk didn't scan the new plugin inside the folder as it didn't recognized there was a change. What I would do is pull out just the dll plugin file out of the cakewalk vstplugins folder for a few secs and wait until cakewalk scans and reports there was one plugin removed (or click the scan button if you have automatic scan disabled) then put it back and wait for rescan again.

Unfortunately I'm not buying the piano so I won't touch anything for now to stay away from troubles. So I can't try it myself to validate this method.

• Great Idea 1

Whatever development program / framework Spitfires devs are using to compile their plugin is placing it in a subfolder PluginName.VST3 and the developer is pushing the whole folder into the installer setup instead of just the plugin.
I've seen several other developers do the same thing and I've assumed that it's because they don't really use Windows (or else they would know better) and just market to it. 
Since Spitfire hasn't done this previously perhaps they have a new developer or installer builder on staff? 
Don't know but it's irritating that they didn't adequately test their app after making changes affecting how the Windows plugin gets installed or upgraded.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chris.r said:

I thought about the same, if there wasn't any change to the name of the folder and it's exactly same as the plugin previously it could be that cakewalk didn't scan the new plugin inside the folder as it didn't recognized there was a change. What I would do is pull out just the dll plugin file out of the cakewalk vstplugins folder for a few secs and wait until cakewalk scans and reports there was one plugin removed (or click the scan button if you have automatic scan disabled) then put it back and wait for rescan again.

Unfortunately I'm not buying the piano so I won't touch anything for now to stay away from troubles. So I can't try it myself to validate this method.

I'm glad you validated that.  I don't need any more pianos.  Hell NI Komplete 8 gave me several pianos and then the update to 14 have me several more with gigabytes of data!

The plugin is stable and hasn't cause be any issues.  So, I'll not be updating either!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, simon said:

updating the various contents to 1.7 but leaving the plugin at 1.5 broke it for me.  I'm not given an option to update that to 1,7

Here's a potential solution:  Do a 'repair' on either the Piano/Core/Discover and it will install the version 1.7 plugin.

Yo can read about it here.

Edited by locrian
  • Thanks 1

BTW, was the limit for attaching images recently reduced?  The last few times I've tried to upload a screenshot I received a pop-up error message saying "You are only allowed to upload 40.96kB."

Edited by locrian

15 minutes ago, locrian said:

BTW, was the limit for attaching images recently reduced?  The last few times I've tried to upload a screenshot I received a pop-up error message saying "You are only allowed to upload 40.96kB."

The only time I upload images is if a site like Facepalm requires it. I've been using a free account on IMGUR.COM, copying files I want to post somewhere to it, and using the URL imgur provides. Works great for .jpg, .png and .gif files. It may handle other file types as well.

Edited by John Maar

50 minutes ago, locrian said:

Here's a potential solution:  Do a 'repair' on either the Piano/Core/Discover and it will install the version 1.7 plugin.

Actually, I don't think so... The problem turns out to be that Cake's plugin manager has the old common file path for the plugin's location instead of the new foldered location. I fixed mine brute force copying the vst3 dll to the common vst3 folder... Then Cake loads it fine, but next update I'll have to fix it again etc... so I will probably go the long route and do a reset, followed by a Plugin manager Re-Scan All Plugins (How I hate doing this!) So that it scans for the new location...

Then all should be well for the immediate future...

2 minutes ago, Keni said:

Actually, I don't think so... The problem turns out to be that Cake's plugin manager has the old common file path for the plugin's location instead of the new foldered location. I fixed mine brute force copying the vst3 dll to the common vst3 folder... Then Cake loads it fine, but next update I'll have to fix it again etc... so I will probably go the long route and do a reset, followed by a Plugin manager Re-Scan All Plugins (How I hate doing this!) So that it scans for the new location...

that's a slightly different issue - The VI thread mentions that the old v1.5 VST3 plugin might not get overwritten as the v1.7 VST3 plugin gets relocated to a new subfolder. 

1 hour ago, locrian said:

I think that's what did it for me after a lot of trial and error.  Thanks!  The plugin now shows as 1.7 when opening inside the DAW and the plugin doesn't show in the list inside SA installer.  No piano for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fwrend said:

I think that's what did it for me after a lot of trial and error.  Thanks!  The plugin now shows as 1.7 when opening inside the DAW and the plugin doesn't show in the list inside SA installer.  No piano for me.

do you get the errors in the log file as per that VI forum post ?   - I see another post from a couple of days ago on the SpitfireAudio forum saying something similar.    I suspect something is broken under the hood.