Far Cry

treesha

Been working on this one for a while. I used SI Bass, Addictive Drums, Generation guitar, Kontakt Strummed Acoustic, Kontakt 25 Crescent keys, Kontakt Hypha keys, New Nation Natura synth pad, Xperiments Dark Sky Audio free for Kontakt and Vital free with Lucy Blake preset. Here are the discontented lyrics, thanks for listening/reading, feedback and discussion welcome !

Far Cry by Treesha deFrance

It’s a far cry from the blue sky
Doesn’t satisfy only magnifies
It’s a far cry from where I wanna be
From where I wanna be
O set me free let freedom ring

O each day I wonder
All I see all I hear all I know
O betrayed I wander
What I feel what I say where I go

Far, Far Cry
Far, Far Cry

O feet on the ground
It’s a long way down
From underground
O give me a moment
I need a minute
To get back in it

Far, Far Cry
Far, Far Cry

Long time, hard try, scarred life
Scarred life

Far, Far Cry
Far, Far Cry

• Like 4

Tressha ,  Oh Boy  , I get to go first !   I'm Really liking the feel of this and Love the song artwork. I believe I would boost the kick and bass a "lot" harder. As you are a bass player ,  I'm surprised you don't normally punch it and bring it forward too often. I Really enjoyed it ..      mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

Hi Mark

Ha I appreciate your enthusiasm to go first ! I thought that only was a thing to go first and beat Larry in the deals forum (which I did once!) The artwork is from pixabay.com called Mayan Calendar by KLAU2018 that I changed some of the characters to read Far Cry. Ugh, this one I spent so much time with the bass and kick and got it to this point which I thought was just about acceptable. It was very challenging for some reason. I think I would have to change out the kick to really make it a lot better. I played a very simple bassline in this and am not too excited about it so I let it be a bit back but yes, you zoned right in on my biggest issue with this song. My room is probably not the best for low end judgements, I use Tonal Balance Control and it showed the low end the lowest I have ever seen one of my songs even after I worked to get it stronger. I'm glad you enjoyed it ! Thank you

Really good. Good existential angst lyrics (there would be no great songs without them, "Bring in the Clowns", "Comfortably Numb", "Anti-Hero"). Your compositions are so interesting, lots of melodies moving in and out, sometimes solo and sometimes layered🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Thanks 1

Wow. This is more melodic than what I have heard from you in the past. The added harmonies to the vocals are a very nice addition as well.  Yeah, I'm hearing 60's influences in this.  There is a bit more of all the things I tend to like, so this pulled me in and made it easy for me to travel along. Even though some things seem a bit awkward to me, they do have an interesting attribute that deserves some points. Pretty cool tune, Treesha! You hooked me with this one.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Really good. Good existential angst lyrics (there would be no great songs without them, "Bring in the Clowns", "Comfortably Numb", "Anti-Hero"). Your compositions are so interesting, lots of melodies moving in and out, sometimes solo and sometimes layered🎶🎶🎶🎶

Hi Larry T.

Thanks for listening and your comment, yes some angst in this one and part of the human experience ! so angst music happens. I appreciate you saying you find my compositions so interesting with the melodies moving in and out. I wanted to make a simpler song this time but that didn't happen ha. I guess that complexity is what I like to do. Maybe next one will be simpler! Thanks again

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Treesha  

I always like how you process your vocals. The doubling works really well here IMO.
Great lyrics!

Needs more bottom  to tie things together better, though not that critical.
-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn

Thank you for checking it out and your comment. Thanks for appreciating the lyrics which are painfully honest and the vocal processing. Honestly I wind up putting so many vocal tracks and processing because I am unhappy with my plain voice most of the time, so I guess that has been good in a way. I agree the bottom could be beefed up, I thought it was a bit weak but acceptable but maybe I will revisit it and make it stronger.

14 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Wow. This is more melodic than what I have heard from you in the past. The added harmonies to the vocals are a very nice addition as well.  Yeah, I'm hearing 60's influences in this.  There is a bit more of all the things I tend to like, so this pulled me in and made it easy for me to travel along. Even though some things seem a bit awkward to me, they do have an interesting attribute that deserves some points. Pretty cool tune, Treesha! You hooked me with this one.

Hi FreeEarCandy,

Thank you for listening and your feedback. Thanks for the wow and telling me you traveled along due to things you like and got hooked! ha! I dont think I make 100%

"normal" music so I understand how some of my choices might be awkward, but yes they are thoughtful choices. I appreciate your comments!

• Like 1

This a fun interesting track.  A little quirky in both presentation and vocals and instrumentation and has a nice little groove moving with it.

There’s almost no low end on the entire track tho and the drums could be pushed a little to give a bigger sound.  I would also suggest maybe shortening it a little, as it starts to feel a little repetitive at almost 5 minutes.  

Dig it, nice work.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Rossi said:

This a fun interesting track.  A little quirky in both presentation and vocals and instrumentation and has a nice little groove moving with it.

There’s almost no low end on the entire track tho and the drums could be pushed a little to give a bigger sound.  I would also suggest maybe shortening it a little, as it starts to feel a little repetitive at almost 5 minutes.  

Dig it, nice work.  

Hi treesha

I really like this - I agree with what David has said re the low end etc

Apart from that, cool track

Nigel

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 4:35 PM, David Rossi said:

Dig it, nice work.  

Hi David,

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Yes I agree the low end is too light, and maybe will revisit this but tired of working on it at the moment. My last posted song with vocals, I got feedback from @whoisp who suggested I leave some space in between my nonstop words, so this time I took his advice and intentionally had some non-vocal sections. Probably there is a sweet spot. Glad you dig it!

13 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi treesha

I really like this - I agree with what David has said re the low end etc

Apart from that, cool track

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for listening and for leaving a comment for me. Oh yes, the low end is not strong enough, I may revisit the mix in the future. I was working on this a long time and need to do something different. I was struggling to get the kick and bass to be good together so not surprised its lacking. Glad the rest is ok ! Nice to know you think its cool!

The lyrics have a killer emotional drive to them, and your sense of vocal leads and harmonies are truly wonderful in this song!

You are getting good advice on the low end I think, so I would only add that you consider giving the hi hat a little interval or break. It's 8 to the bar for the entire song, and if it took a rest occasionally, it might be easier to bring other mix elements up and out, like the acoustic rhythm guitar which could step forward a bit I think.

Luckily the vocals are 90% of the business, and you've got those worked out!

Nice one, quirky and lovely.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hsmusic said:

Interesting writing style, enjoyed it. A bit retro, parts of it remind me of my early fm / underground station listening days.

Hi hsmusic

I see you have a #1 so welcome and if I got your first post thanks ! Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoy when people comment on what one of my songs sounds like or reminds them of as you have. And often the comments are diverse, which is cool. I did my share of early fm underground station listening myself and I think it is all inside me bouncing around and shows up in songs. Thanks for listening and commenting