OTS Summer Sale! (Group Buy)

cclarry

Just curious to learn about how everyone else uses the Evolution electric guitar libraries...

My being happy with the Evolution presets kept me from venturing out and exploring  external amp sims and effects for quite a long time. I would tweak Evolution presets  a bit, but that was about it. But once I started combining Evolution guitars and basses with external guitar amp and effects sims, it opened up a whole new world of options for me (and costs for more virtual gear!).  In the last several months, I've been spending a lot more time using Evolution libraries with external amp sims and effects (I have Guitar Rig,  AmpliTube and Electrum), to the point where I really enjoy going through the amp and effects sims presets playing around until I find just the right sound and, ideally,  something fresh that inspires me. I mean,  I easily get caught up in jamming when going through the various options. 

I'd be very interested in how many others use these libraries with external guitar amp and effects simulators and any tips or insights.

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

...once I started combining Evolution guitars and basses with external guitar amp and effects sims, it opened up a whole new world of options for me...

Same here. The main limitation of Kontakt-based instruments is that you're restricted to the fx that NI have included with the sampler. For the most part, they're actually decent - at least for basic effects such as convolution reverb. But if you want a rotary effect or a believable amp sim or modulated delays they'll often fall short. Or require a lot of obtuse tweaking to get what you're after. That's why external fx are almost in my chain for sampled guitars.

I actually don't have a big assortment of amp sims on hand, and have been meaning to add Scuffham S-Gear for years. But Guitar Rig will get me reasonably close as far as amplifier and speaker distortion, then it'll be sweetened with Valhalla Ubermod and/or Valhalla Delay, and sometimes D16's Redopter. A FET-style compressor usually ends up in the chain. Often lots of automation.

I also like to use mismatched instrument/amp combinations, such as fat bluesy distortion on an acoustic guitars. OTS' lap steel and Slide Acoustic are favorites for this treatment, as are Indiginus' Delta Blues and The STEEL.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, cclarry said:

I forget that I had a boatload of Orange Slices from the last Group Buy....LOL

Thanks... I forgot about mine too. So you reminding me helped me save some more!!

Evo Rik 12 = $56.

• Great Idea 3

On 6/24/2023 at 10:17 AM, Greg Schlaepfer said:

We have lots of stuff in the works! Over 30 Evolution-based instruments in various stages of development, several of which are close to being released. Two have already been encoded by Native Instruments for the free Kontakt Player, and it's just a matter of finishing their demos and videos. We have a couple non-Evolution libraries in development, as well as updates in the works for existing products.

You're probably timing a mass release for the day after I get additional storage...
They say that nature abhors a vacuum, unfortunately the same principle applies to unused disk space.
Still... looking forward to seeing what you come out with!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

@Greg Schlaepfer  One of the things I appreciate the most about the OTS group buy is the ability to add or remove at will after the buy has been reached.  A customer doesn't feel "boxed in" to choices.   That flexibility is greatly appreciated, thank you. 

Edited by husker
  • Like 8

53 minutes ago, Grem said:

Another good thing is if you bought into the group buy, you can get more than the one purchase you commit to. IOW, you can buy more at the discount rate.

Which, let’s face it, is also the worst thing about this group buy.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Milan said:

How many Orange Slices do you get for buying an item on sale?

It's one Orange Slice per dollar spent (rounded). So if you buy a $99 library in the group buy at 60% off, the price comes to $39.60, earning you 40 Orange Slices, which can be redeemed for 4% off a future order.

If it's your very first order, you get a bonus 100 Orange Slices. And there's also the Surveys for Slices system, where you can answer a few survey questions to get points (currently you can get a total of 170 points from that).

• Like 2

Thanks! So, to get to 500 orange slices, from 270 (170 from the survey + 100 from the first purchase), one would need to buy something that costs $230 after the discount, and then upgrade later to the bundle at 50% off with the 500 orange slices? That's the most cost effective way to buy a bundle starting from scratch, correct?

8 hours ago, husker said:

@Greg Schlaepfer  One of the things I appreciate the most about the OTS group buy is the ability to add or remove at will after the buy has been reached.  A customer doesn't feel "boxed in" to choices.   That flexibility is greatly appreciated, thank you. 

Agreed. I booked two items, and ended up buying 4 item, of which none of them were the booked ones. Or, sort of. I bought the bass bundle and had the roundwound bass booked. With the orange slices, the bundle were too cheap to resist. 😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Milan said:

Thanks! So, to get to 500 orange slices, from 270 (170 from the survey + 100 from the first purchase), one would need to buy something that costs $230 after the discount, and then upgrade later to the bundle at 50% off with the 500 orange slices? That's the most cost effective way to buy a bundle starting from scratch, correct?

That's correct, and yes, that's usually the way to get the best price if you're looking at a lot of libraries/bundles. That way you're leveraging as many rewards points as possible on the second, larger order.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

Almost forgot to purchase. Wanted to do it on friday because that's my 'software day'. That would have been bad.

Got the Nylon and Hollowbody.

As long as you've signed up for the group buy sale, you have until the very end of July to actually complete your purchase or make additional purchases using the group buy discount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2