What is one unique music of a movie you really like?

Linn Doan

Love me some Hans Zimmer ...

This may be one of the first soundtracks I heard from Hans Zimmer back in mid 90's . That's when I started hearing about he whole digital thing .

This is as good as it gets when it comes to the music for the modern style action film genre . Any one besides me hear early glimpse of some of the Pirates themes in there?

Hans the man !

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 3

Many moons ago in the place where I lived then, new film releases at what passed for a cinema were always on a Thursday evening for whatever reason. An older female work colleague was so excited with the news that the current week's big release was The Mission, starring her personal favourite Robert de Niro, that she left work early that day to go and get a good place in the queue. It was a very much a small town cinema, so when the big new releases came to town, this was the kind of thing you had to do if you wanted to see it on the first day.

Friday morning she was full of praise for it and so taken by Ennio Morricone's soundtrack that she went to what passed for the record store that lunchtime and asked for the CD of the music from The Mission which she purchased and dropped off at home on her way back to work. For what seemed like the whole afternoon, she went on about how much she was looking forward to getting home, making a nice cup of tea with a nice piece of cake to go with it, putting on her new CD, turning the volume up and immersing herself in it's magnificence.....

Now imagine her face when the full volume CD started .....

• Haha 1

The tense music when the shark is about to attack in Jaws.

I don't like, like it, but I appreciate the genius behind it!

"The soundtrack is particularly notable for the 2-note ostinato which represents the shark, a theme so simple that Spielberg had initially thought was a joke by the composer"

• Like 1

I'm as big a John William's fan as there is, and I could list 20 of his scores here without hesitation. However, it's nice to highlight other worthies who don't quite get the same spotlight.

One of those is Bruce Broughton, whose score for the Steven Spielberg produced movie Young Sherlock Holmes is a neglected masterpiece from the mid-80s. It's a big dose of full-throttle orchestral thunder in the classic tradition, from charming and melodic to bombastic and apocalyptic, courtesy of the Sinfonia of London and a 16 voice SATB choir. The main themes and motifs are top-class, and very memorable. This is the main theme, and it's great:

I've been collecting study scores the last few years, and I've been lobbying the various score publishers (Omni Music, Neumation, Chris Sidall, etc) to publish this one. They all agree it's brilliant, and a couple of them have expressed an interest in getting it out there.

Here's hoping. It's got a ton of great music in it. 

• Like 1

NOTE: The album itself starts at 1:05.  

At the time there were two sound track albums, one from the movie (official soundtrack album) and one that had full versions of the music Carlos composed / realized for the movie. 

I learned something new today:

The film was met with polarised reviews from critics and was controversial due to its depictions of graphic violence. After it was cited as having inspired copycat acts of violence, the film was withdrawn from British cinemas at Kubrick's behest, and it was also banned in several other countries.

Nowadays, you can see graphic violence on television and from other uncensored media sources.  JMO: Times have changed.

Edited by User 905133
(2) Added something I never knew about the film. (1) Historical note added.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, User 905133 said:

At the time there were two sound track albums, one from the movie (official soundtrack album) and one that had full versions of the music Carlos composed / realized for the movie. 

i have one of these, will have to check which, if i can find it haha (i think it's the ost)

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

i have one of these, will have to check which, if i can find it haha (i think it's the ost)

Just looked...  I have one (from 1972) but, ironically, the cover doesn't say anything other than "Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange" ...

[Edit...  Just looked on Discogs...]

Here's the cover of the version I have:

LTU2MDAuanBlZw.jpeg

Which must be Walter's/Wendy's since here's the other version:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

"Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (Music From The Soundtrack)"

Edited by craigb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

In the US the cover of the Carlos version was like the one pictured in the Vimeo but with English wording. The Official Soundtrack version had large section of white on the cover.  I am not sure if that was true for other countries.  Googling "clockwork orange album cover" might jog your memory in case you can't find it (or don't want to search for it)      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange_(soundtrack) shows the soundtrack version.  

9 minutes ago, craigb said:

Just looked...  I have one (from 1972) but, ironically, the cover doesn't say anything other than "Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange" and has 15 tracks on it...

Is Timesteps the full version or just an excerpt?  Wikipedia says the soundtrack version has Timesteps (excerpt) = 4:13.  

Also the sound track version has music not realized by Carlos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange:_Wendy_Carlos's_Complete_Original_Score shows the full version of Timesteps is 13:50.

Edited by User 905133