Ed Sheeran Decision

Johnbee58

3 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

The original intent of copyright law was to protect the income of the original artist by being stolen and used by another. There is no way Sheeran's song is hurting the income of the heirs of Marvin Gaye's estate.

or Ed Townsend's

😉

I think I'll copyright a song that consists of 32 bars of rests for every instrument in a full orchestra, followed by one sixteenth note on a snare drum. The rests will consist of whole rests, down to 64th notes, plain and dotted, and also include various triplet rests.

Then when anyone records a song with a bit of silence in it. I'll sue. I don't care how long, I'll cry infringement.

Notes ♫

• Great Idea 2

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I think I'll copyright a song that consists of 32 bars of rests for every instrument in a full orchestra, followed by one sixteenth note on a snare drum. The rests will consist of whole rests, down to 64th notes, plain and dotted, and also include various triplet rests.

Then when anyone records a song with a bit of silence in it. I'll sue. I don't care how long, I'll cry infringement.

Notes ♫

Like I said! 😁

7 hours ago, craigb said:

So...  I could get in a lot of trouble for all of my covers of John Cage's 4'33" ??? 😮

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

Some say my songs would be better served by applying this method.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Think of all the licks that we use as the vocabulary of our music. They evolve through time, the boogie woogie piano part of the swing jazz era became a bass line in the early rock days, and so on. There are thousands more like this.

We all learn from what came before, and we are all influenced by what we hear, so some of it is going to come out.

In both jazz and folk music, there is a tradition of quoting a few bars of another song in a new song. It's homage, not plagiarism.

If you steal the melody, or the lyrics, that's an obvious violation. But the rhythm? Or the chord progression? Come on.

Samples are different. They are using someone else's performance. I'm not sure if the paying for them is right. After all, a visual artist can make a collage of different images to create a new work of art, and he/she doesn't have to pay royalties.

Perhaps the musicians should be paid for the session work? I don't know.

The original intent of copyright law was to protect the income of the original artist by being stolen and used by another. There is no way Sheeran's song is hurting the income of the heirs of Marvin Gaye's estate.

Funny thing about copyright.

If someone creates a cure for cancer, he patents it, and gets fewer than 20 years of protection.

Yet a 25-year-old person can write a song, live to 100, and his/her copyright is good for 75 years after he/she dies.

The cure for cancer gets 20 years of protection, and the theoretical song above gets 150 years.

That just doesn't seem right to me.

But this is all just my opinion.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

In music school they taught me to borrow phrases. They said that is how it is done. Just like you said.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rfssongs said:

In music school they taught me to borrow phrases. They said that is how it is done. Just like you said.

They sing a different tune in lawyer school!

(Pun intended! 😁 )

16 hours ago, craigb said:

So...  I could get in a lot of trouble for all of my covers of John Cage's 4'33" ??? 😮

OK, I looked it up. I guess my idea wasn't so original. But mine has a drum beat at the end.

And does his have the exact same distribution of various rests? I don't think so. Just a slacker IMO.

I was never into John Cage, when introduced to some of his 'legit' works it didn't turn me on, so I never looked for anything else by him.

Gig got rained out tonight. I kept the deposit, and they will reschedule. I'll apply it to the new date. It's summer so it pays to be flexible.

The rainy season usually starts mid-May and runs to the end of October, but it started early this year. We're doing more outdoor gigs this year than we did before COVID, so I suspect there will be more of it.

Back on topic.

On tomorrow's gig, I'm going to do my best to quote other songs during my imrov solos. Send lawyers, guns and money.

Notes ♫

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Except you'd be sued for copying 31 bars of John Cage's 4'33"

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

2 hours ago, craigb said:

We were just chatting tonight about YouBoob's bots blocking Weird Al Yankovic's covers due to copyright issues! 😆

They were blocked for being  bollocks.

Edited by Wibbles

On 5/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

Is now a good time to mention John Fogerty being sued for allegedly stealing from himself?

As you may know, he won, but had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to recoup legal fees.  https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/27501/time-john-fogerty-was-sued-ripping-john-fogerty

So money left his left pocket then went back to the right one?

• Haha 1