All EzKeys Expansions Updated (Not a Deal)

ZincT

Same here. Updated yesterday. I agree with your hypothesis. From this size of the updates, it looked like MIDI pack updates do. 2MB to 3MB. Same UI. So, maybe it's MIDI pack format updates for EZK2. We'll see if the separate MIDI packs get updated, as well.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

It was just the EZkeys Sound Library for me. I only have the Upright Piano expansion.

But I do have a dozen of the EZkeys MIDI packs, and none of them had updates. Agree with the theory that it's a compatibility update for EZK 2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Maar said:

Same here. Updated yesterday. I agree with your hypothesis. From this size of the updates, it looked like MIDI pack updates do. 2MB to 3MB. Same UI. So, maybe it's MIDI pack format updates for EZK2. We'll see if the separate MIDI packs get updated, as well.

Yes, I think that's correct as I have 9 expansions and all of them had  2/3 Mb updates (MIDI packs). I expect we'll also see the separate MIDI packs updated. Good to know that they are putting in the effort to keep existing purchases working on the new system. 

51 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Good to know that they are putting in the effort to keep existing purchases working on the new system. 

Right! I have confidence in Toontrack this time, because of the smooth transition my EZdrummer products made from v2 to v3. :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, abacab said:

Right! I have confidence in Toontrack this time, because of the smooth transition my EZdrummer products made from v2 to v3. :)

So unlike the fiasco from EZDrummer to EZDrummer 2. Sheesh.

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

unlike the fiasco from EZDrummer to EZDrummer 2.

I’d forgotten about that. Thanks for re-enabling a little PTSD 🙃
IIRC it blew up the routing and could muck up all the midi routing in a project?

Now I have to thank myself for a little “quiver”; ouch!

I’m sure TT has it dialed in 🤞.

t

as he mutters to himself there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home…

Welk, I’ve only been hitting Toontrack’s EZKeys (almost all instruments except for the two lost dance oriented ones) and their EZMix (including some named expansions like the Supertramp-inspired Henderson one). 

Never used it, like my addictive drums (paid) and addictive keys i got free with my Novation controller and i use the paid version of synthmaster that i use the novation to control the automation so i wont chance it as it was a balls ache to set up my controller. There is so many plugins out there. Iv'e got a few other freebies and all do the job. I try to concentrate on writing there days, its so easy to chase your tail with plugins. 

59 minutes ago, whoisp said:

I try to concentrate on writing there days, its so easy to chase your tail with plugins. 

It's probably best to think of the Toontrack EZ line as writing tools. I wouldn't buy them just for their sound libraries. The factory sounds are decent, but you may prefer other instruments, and chasing the sound expansions to get what you want can take money.

The MIDI packs are the most interesting for me!

In fact you can layer other instruments with EZkeys, EZbass, or EZdrummer or replace their internal sounds completely by muting them & using the available MIDI out to drive other plugins. 👍

• Like 5

1 hour ago, abacab said:

It's probably best to think of the Toontrack EZ line as writing tools. I wouldn't buy them just for their sound libraries. The factory sounds are decent, but you may prefer other instruments, and chasing the sound expansions to get what you want can take money.

The MIDI packs are the most interesting for me!

In fact you can layer other instruments with EZkeys, EZbass, or EZdrummer or replace their internal sounds completely by muting them & using the available MIDI out to drive other plugins. 👍

I think of all my instruments and plugins as tools.  To be fair many  midi plugins instruments you can layer.  I layer with SynthMaster 2 and it as a massive library you can expand or create your own. I will create sounds on my Fender strat or bass guitar to sample them SM2, you can have up to four layers of samples if you want to or mix and match samples with any other type of synthesis you want so it makes it super powerful and i would imagine EZ the same. When you can create the sounds you want it cheaper but can be time consuming to learn sound design and know what mods and filter really can do.  

i will use Addictive keys because the piano is second to none. But like you say, i will dabble with like Spitefire Labs, Symphony Orchrstra,  Vital,  Izotope, Union, Kontakt and Surge XT  etc for inspiration from sounds, its just ive note used EZ when ive not ever used much i already have but get what you mean

The point is that EZKeys is a unique tool that will help you generate MIDI keyboard parts that you might not have thought of or might not have been able to play.  There are not a lot of other products out there that will do that.  For people like myself who are working on their keyboard chops, it saves a lot of time and makes it possible to create things we might not have been able to play.   I can't speak for how useful these compositional features are to a competent keyboard player, but if you have a guy named @abacab touting them...

• Like 1

Agree, I've never come across a plugin that enables me to create a unique and professionally played piano track from my own chord track composition, I consider that something of a game changer given my limited piano chops.

Scaler 2 and uJam Virtual Pianist to some degree but neither are in the same league in my view. 

You can also (and I have) make very credible 'original' songs from the default midi packs - provided you can accept and live with the fact that thousands of others may well have used the same arrangement.

You are only really constrained by the number and variety of midi packs you own.

Andy

53 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

You are only really constrained by the number and variety of midi packs you own.

The important thing to consider here is that you are not constrained to only purchased Toontrack MIDI packs. If you have your own collection you can import them as well!

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

For people like myself who are working on their keyboard chops, it saves a lot of time and makes it possible to create things we might not have been able to play.   I can't speak for how useful these compositional features are to a competent keyboard player, but if you have a guy named @abacab touting them...

Still working on my chops too, LOL!!!

I have always admired many of the legendary progressive rock keyboardists, such as Emerson and Wakeman, but Tony Banks of Genesis was a favorite of mine. Been a Genesis fan since long before there were only three of them remaining, but grabbed that name as a nod to them.

Less obvious fact: A-B-A-C-A-B was an early song structure used for the song, and it stuck as the name. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacab_(song)

Guitarist Mike Rutherford explained in an interview in 2006:

[There are] three bits of music in "Abacab" and we refer to them as 'bit A', [correcting self] 'Section A', 'Section B', and 'Section C'. And at different times they were in a different order. We'd start with section A and then have section C and then have section [pauses] and at one point in time, it spelt "ABACAB". And you've got the final version where it's not that at all, it's like "ACACACUCUBUBUGA".

Maybe I should actually change my name to ACACACUCUBUBUGA??? LOL!!! 🤣

But how would you pronounce that?

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, abacab said:

The important thing to consider here is that you are not constrained to only purchased Toontrack MIDI packs. If you have your own collection you can import them as well!

Very good point.

Btw - I'm with you on the Genesis thing - been a massive fan since I first discovered their music back in 1980. 

3 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Btw - I'm with you on the Genesis thing - been a massive fan since I first discovered their music back in 1980. 

I had a friend introduce me to Genesis during the mid 70's. Selling England by the Pound, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, A Trick of the Tail, etc.

Good times! :)