Total Studio MAX 4.0 is here!

Bapu

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

You don't even have that option with IK. If the owner doesn't transfer the license to you, you can't even download drivers for the product, let alone software for it.

^pretty sure that the hardware drivers are available under IKM Product Manager.
(edit - missed reading this:
"if the owner doesn't transfer the license to you"
 unfortunately as buyer you'd need to know there is a license associated with the hardware and not purchase or get a refund if it wasn't transferred)

What doesn't transfer is any free software bundles (e.g. AmpliTube, etc.) that originally were included in the purchase.  It's always been stated that bundled software is NFR and bound to hardware i.e. if you transfer hardware you loose** access to that software.
**but don't know if that happens or if it remains NFR in your account.

Edited by TheSteven

13 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

^pretty sure that the hardware drivers are available under IKM Product Manager.

If you don't register your hardware, no driver downloads will show in your account. And since the serial for the product is in a card which can easily be lost instead of being on the physical product, you're begging for users to be led into mistakes.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

57 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

What doesn't transfer is any free software bundles (e.g. AmpliTube, etc.) that originally were included in the purchase . . . .

This makes sense to me based on what I know of how IK does what it does. As for the resale of hardware, I understand the issue @Bruno de Souza Lino is saying. 

For example, I do not own any IK hardware.  So, for me product manager says:

You do not have any Hardware products registered. Click here to visit store

So if I purchase IK hardware from someone as a resale / second hand, so far as I can see there is no way I would have access to the drivers and it is unclear if IK would add them to my account / product manager (as the new owner) without the serial number.   If the serial number were on the hardware, perhaps they would.

Edited by User 905133
wording correction for the sake of clarity

With IKM, you have to pay a transfer fee for hardware, so that the new user can access firmware updates, utilities, and seemingly even drivers! :(
Plus the software isn't 
transferred, even though they will transfer the exact same software if bought by itself.

With NI's Maschine for example:
The drivers and firmware etc are open to anyone.
It's free to transfer the hardware and the Maschine software is automatically transferred with it. 
This is also stand-alone software in the way that IKMs is.

So with IKM you pay and get less, whilst with NI it's free and you get more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

If you don't register your hardware

then, to be blunt, that's a self inflicted injury.

The first thing that you should do when buying used gear is (if applicable) register it to yourself and if you can't then immediately get a refund.
Actually that applies for new gear as well...
Many Some vendors will only give you access to drivers or firmware updates to gear registered to you.

Apologies, this probably comes off with more 'tude than intended.
I agree that it is always nicer when you don't have to jump through hoops to access drivers, firmware updates, documentation, etc..
That IKM uses a printed serial number that is different than the serial number on the device is 'special'.  I would hope that if the paper # was lost that they could look up the # based on the number on the device but never had to test that.

If I'm shelling out significant $$ for audio equipment (guitar, keyboard, audio interface) I try to (re)register it with manufacturer if for no other reason in case it gets stolen (or turns out to be stolen).   That being said there's a lot of gear for which there is no tracking or registration.

Edited by TheSteven

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

then, to be blunt, that's a self inflicted injury.

The first thing that you should do when buying used gear is (if applicable) register it to yourself and if you can't then immediately get a refund.

The vast majority of physical products out there, audio or otherwise, do not require any form of registration so you can download drivers or companion software necessary for said product to work and thus, the practice of registering a physical product in order to have access to said features is an exception, especially for products which do not require a computer to work, like a synth or effects pedals.

That IKM uses a printed serial number that is different than the serial number on the device is 'special'.  I would hope that if the paper # was lost that they could look up the # based on the number on the device but never had to test that.

The serial printed in the product is not the product's serial number and cannot be used as such. The actual serial number of the product is in the card that comes with it.

If I'm shelling out significant $$ for audio equipment (guitar, keyboard, audio interface) I try to (re)register it with manufacturer if for no other reason in case it gets stolen (or turns out to be stolen).   That being said there's a lot of gear for which there is no tracking or registration.

But that's not the problem. The problem happens when you have to jump through hoops in case you want to sell the equipment in the future. You now have to store boxes and crap that came with the product. Invariably, you'll forget that only IKM works that way because none of the other products you have are like that, then that will come to bite you once you decide to sell it or buy it used from someone which made the same mistake.

As much as I like IK, I can't get myself to do it.  Other than the new ST sounds and synths, the only thing I'm missing is Mesa Boogie 2.  Since I collected these items a la carte my upgrade price is $299 which gets me MB2 and some sounds and synths I will likely never use. A little off topic but Tonex is fantastic!

25 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

TONEX Pedal doesn't cost anything to transfer and also transfers the TONEX MAX and AmpliTube 5 software all free of charge.  We should have some additional news soon on the topic too.

Interesting news indeed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

TONEX Pedal doesn't cost anything to transfer and also transfers the TONEX MAX and AmpliTube 5 software all free of charge.  We should have some additional news soon on the topic too.

@Peter - IK Multimedia Thanks for changing the policy to be responsive to the needs to your customers.

Curious folks can check out TheGearPage.net for the discussion thread.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ALC said:

@Peter - IK Multimedia Thanks for changing the policy to be responsive to the needs to your customers.

Curious folks can check out TheGearPage.net for the discussion thread.

No problem, I won't claim to be solely responsible but my opinion and data gathered figures into this and other changes regularly (sorry didn't mean that to sound smug or whatever, just assuring folks I put my 0.02 worth into these discussions as strongly as I can as much as I can).

Also, there is indeed more related news coming on this front.  I believe it is just being tested currently before any news can be shared.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 5:30 PM, Bapu said:

IK releases Total Studio 4 MAX

FEATURING MORE AFFORDABLE PRICES AND UPGRADE DISCOUNTS

IK is pleased to announce Total Studio 4 MAX and permanent pricing reductions on our full range of software. Plus ANY registered owner of a single paid IK product now qualifies for IK’s new upgrade-for-all policy on our complete catalog of software titles.

Even better yet, because you recently purchased Total Studio 3.5 MAX you’re entitled to a special coupon* for an additional $/€50 off the new MAXgrade price for Total Studio 4 MAX. Just checkout as usual to see and apply the auto-coupon. Act soon. This coupon deal expires April 30.

BUY NOW

THE WIDEST RANGE OF SOUNDS

With 170 products and over 640 GB of rich, authentic sounds, plus over 500 ultra-realistic FX, Total Studio 4 MAX offers more than ever a complete solution for creating music in virtually any style.

THE RIGHT GUITAR OR BASS TONE

Plug into any tone imaginable with every available piece of gear from AmpliTube 5 including all 18 brand and artist collections with AmpliTube MESA/Boogie 1 & 2, Fender Collection 1 & 2, AmpliTube Brian May, Dimebag Darrell CFH, AmpliTube Leslie and so much more for over 430 ultra-realistic amps and FX to build each player's own unique sound, and over 2,500 included artist presets. You also get AmpliTube TONEX MAX with 1,100 Premium Tone Models, unlimited user Tone Model downloads from ToneNET, plus the ability to capture user rig.

INDUSTRY-LEADING STUDIO TOOLS

Total Studio 4 MAX offers everything, literally, to create the perfect mix. There's MixBox, IK's 500-series style plug-in with 72 mixing processors and all 53 T-RackS modules including the new ones like The Farm Stone Room and Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip and classics like FAME Studio Reverb and the TASCAM Tape Collection. You also get ARC 3, the advanced acoustic room correction system and Lurssen Mastering Console. From tracking guitars to mastering albums, all the essential gear is here, looking and sounding better than ever.

Complete your collection today!

TOTAL STUDIO 4 MAX

$/€799.99

MAXGRADE

$/€299.99 $/€249.99 ($/€50 Coupon)

BUY NOW

Hi. When is the best time to buy? Black-friday / christmas maybe? It was not in my needs but I am tempted to buy. I own Max products and my maxgrade price is 299, no coupon.