pigs in our midst

Jesse Screed

Woodstock was fun. Especially the mud slides after the rain!  I'm sure that is not what you meant, but not everyone that plays in the mud are pigs.  Just having dirty fun. 

Anyway, the tune is very complicated., but certainly interesting in its own right.  I had to double dip to absorb it as best I could. comes across as chaotic, but there is certainly an underlaying pattern in all the abstract muck.  Its not something I would gravitate to or could listen to for any great length of time.  And by no means is that an insult or a disparaging account.  I really didn't like Frank Zappa too much, but obviously my assessment doesn't mean he had no talent. Just not my cup of tea. 

I hope I didn't go all piggy in my review.

9 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Woodstock was fun. Especially the mud slides after the rain!  I'm sure that is not what you meant, but not everyone that plays in the mud are pigs.  Just having dirty fun. 

Anyway, the tune is very complicated., but certainly interesting in its own right.  I had to double dip to absorb it as best I could. comes across as chaotic, but there is certainly an underlaying pattern in all the abstract muck.  Its not something I would gravitate to or could listen to for any great length of time.  And by no means is that an insult or a disparaging account.  I really didn't like Frank Zappa too much, but obviously my assessment doesn't mean he had no talent. Just not my cup of tea. 

I hope I didn't go all piggy in my review.

Hello Free Ear Candy, let me make a few things perfectly clear.

I appreciate your honesty in what your tastes are.  My expressions lately have been of this sort.  I don't think anyone would gravitate towards them or listen to them for any length of time.  I am ok with that.  Though I wish more people could appreciate what is going on under the hood I understand that it is not going to happen.  It is the nature of the form.

If you actually double dipped then that says a lot.  It says to me that you actually noticed that there was some substance to the expression.  Yes it is chaotic, but it is ordered chaos, and you noticed that.  That means more than anything to me.

I never really knew who Frank Zappa was.  I had heard the name, but never had any of his music or listened to any of it, and still don't.  The only pieces I can say I listened to was the one about yellow snow, and the dental floss song, other than that I only know about him because I am often compared to him.  I am also compared to Captain Beefheart, but again, I have heard the name but never listened to his group, except to figure out what people meant when they compared our styles.

So, thanks again for the listen and comment.  I did not take it harshly, it is abstract muck, on this we can agree, but that is where I am at. It is great to be alive.

Were you really at Woodstock?  I did see the movie.

• Like 1

Hey, Jesse, another good one, love the sound scape in this, particularly toward the end where the synth sounds like a warbling cry. Yeah, there's superficial comparisons that could be made with Beefheart, but imho much less so with Zappa. You've got your own thing going here, so keep working it.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

Were you really at Woodstock?  I did see the movie.

No! However, many of my childhood friends and I use to organize and attend week long parties in the deep woods that surrounded our community. Also many river parties. In some respects, our week long parties were better than Woodstock. Once the word got out there was a party happening in the woods the size of the parties were rather impressive. It was a great time to be young and alive, and I would have sold my soul to pee in the woods at Woodstock! But the devil had no interest in me, so we created our own good times in our own garden of Eden.

I'm so happy you didn't take my review the wrong way, but I felt it was important to share with you an honest reaction. As I was listening to your track I was trying to imagine playing along with it. I don't think I could do it. Much the same as jazz, I just do not have the talent to follow it, and much less, the ability to remember all the things involved. So I tip my hat to you for having that ability. 

Frank Zappa is a good complement IMO. The tunes you mentioned are some of his most popular commercial adventures.  He did do some stuff on guitar that was just amazing, but on a whole, his music was not something that resonated with me most of the time.  And,  I think it is fair to say there are some tunes that are considerably melodic that I don't care for either. Music is such a subjective adventure that arguing over which song is good and which song is bad is like arguing which side of the room is truly left and right.

Stay well, Jesse!

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 5:44 AM, Jesse Screed said:

Though I wish more people could appreciate what is going on under the hood I understand that it is not going to happen

or not... (perhaps I should rephrase that; "or maybe some do/will...")

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Thanks 1