Just Bones

treesha

So its been very many months since I had any real opportunity to work on music and I had been messing around with this during my distance and just finally got it to this point to share. I have heard it so much that I am not sure I can hear how it is, so feedback very welcome. The months have not been good ones, so this is moody for sure  and reflects how difficult things have felt, from one to another to another. I hope to be more able to work on my songs and comment on other people's songs, I have missed being here.  Thanks for listening and any comments !

I used kontakt middle east saz, the si bass, kontakt strummed acoustic and session strings, the drums are a mystery to me, forgot it was so long ago.

Edited by treesha
  • Like 2

Hello Treesha , I'm Really Glad to see you back and hope things start going smoother for you. I Loved the harmony in this and the great melody lines. I Really liked the change around the 1:30 mark. Seems like the mood lightened up from there to the end.          Very Nice .    Enjoyed it ..  mark

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Hello Treesha , I'm Really Glad to see you back and hope things start going smoother for you. I Loved the harmony in this and the great melody lines. I Really liked the change around the 1:30 mark. Seems like the mood lightened up from there to the end.          Very Nice .    Enjoyed it ..  mark

Hello Mark, I'm really glad to be here ha, thank you for your kind words. When times are tough and one can make music, that makes things better, when you aren't able to indulge in this wonderful world of sound, well that makes tough even tougher ! Thanks for listening and I am glad you enjoyed it and for you telling me what you liked about it. Much appreciated !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

I'm loving the fearless experimental nature of this song.  It seems to have it's own genre.  You use some interesting combinations of instruments.  Love it.

😀John B

Hi John B, Thank you for listening and your comments. I do sometimes not know what genre to pick so I picked alternative for this one. The next one I am hoping to get going on is kinda reggae-ish so that might be more in a genre. I like to try new  to me instruments and its always a learning experience too, so yes always experimental. The fearless part is posting it ha. I am glad you loved it ! Thanks again

Thanks Bjorn,

I always struggle with my vocals and am really not even sure how far to take them treatment wise, (besides melodyne ha) I just have a small amount of reverb in Nectar on the lead vocal, with a second sung lead vocal on a different mic coming in here and there for accents with more treatment via gentle amount of Noise Ash Vocal Finalizer and of course the layers of backing vocals have valhalla going on. I'm glad you think it works well. It is an honest song for sure ha. Thanks for listening and for your feedback !

@treesha . . . I really enjoyed listening to this one . . . and agree with @Johnbee58 that it doesn't have an obvious genre, the harmonies are perhaps medieval sounding, but of course you've put it against an interesting and modern rhythm track, it's also a very sound audio recording, well done there . . . just very fascinating to my ears, thanks for posting it here !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, noynekker said:

@treesha . . . I really enjoyed listening to this one . . . and agree with @Johnbee58 that it doesn't have an obvious genre, the harmonies are perhaps medieval sounding, but of course you've put it against an interesting and modern rhythm track, it's also a very sound audio recording, well done there . . . just very fascinating to my ears, thanks for posting it here !

Hi noynekker,

Thanks for listening and your feedback, I appreciate both. That's a new one for me, medieval harmonies! Usually my aim in harmonies is to help out, even hide some stuff in my lead vocals and to make them sound nice. Intriguing feedback ! Next stop, listen to some medieval music ha. I appreciate your feedback that the recording is sound as I said I worked on this sporadically for so long I didn't think I could be objective about how it actually sounded.  And if it is fascinating to you that is very special for me to know.  Thanks again!

Yeah, you've done a great job on this one. The music has a chamber orchestra quality...it's like a river of sound, I'd be hard pressed to put any one instrument as central to the song, although it's probably the bass, as they all fit together so seamlessly, mix is very well done. Vox fit the song perfectly. Unique, intriguing and accessible sounds 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

I, too, love the experimental nature of this song and its unique arrangement.  My only suggestion is to balance the vocals and instruments more evenly.  I hear the vocals a little too far above the instruments, but that is all.  This has a chance to be stellar with just a few, slight adjustments.  Hope all else goes well for you this year!

• Like 1

Hi Larry T

Thanks for listening and for your comments.  I think your calling it a river of sound will stay with me, what a beautiful comment. I think bass is central to my heart as a former reggae band bass player. I appreciate knowing you find the mix very well done too ! Nice to have my work appreciated, thank you !

• Like 1

Hi Lynn

I appreciate you listening and your feedback. I can hear how you mean about the vocals (pun?) and always question my decisions about vocals in all their aspects! This one is certainly vocal rich and out front. I will keep that in mind for my next one. I have worked on this one intermittently for so long I don't think I can do more on it, I just want to go forward to the next one which is kinda reggae and not so experimental or washy. Not having a perfect listening environment its so helpful to get feedback about the mix ! So I get your point and appreciate the feedback !

Edited by treesha
  • Like 1

A most pleasant song indeed.  I think that the lyrics and vocals certainly justify them being out in front of the vocals.  This is kind of a genre defying song.  I suffer from that conflict with some of my songs.  As stated above, perhaps alternative might be appropriate.

Very nice work indeed and I enjoyed the listen!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi treesha

A really good track - loved the vocals and harmonies in particular and enjoyed the listen - keeps your interest all the way through

Cool

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for listening and your feedback, glad to know you enjoyed it and was interested all the way through. Now to check out what you have been up to.

1 hour ago, freddy j said:

A most pleasant song indeed.  I think that the lyrics and vocals certainly justify them being out in front of the vocals.  This is kind of a genre defying song.  I suffer from that conflict with some of my songs.  As stated above, perhaps alternative might be appropriate.

Very nice work indeed and I enjoyed the listen!

Hi freddy j,

Thank you for listening and for your comments. Glad you enjoyed it and found it a pleasant song.  Yes some songs are hard to put into a genre so alternative kinda covers those I guess? Appreciate your feedback !

Always enjoy your tunes treesha.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:55 PM, treesha said:

sometimes not know what genre to pick

that's what critics are for, I'm terrible with genres!

t

only crit here, I'd let the final note ring out a bit (of course maybe SC just cuts it off when a certain level is hit...)

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

Hi t,

Thank you for listening and leaving your comment. Nice to know you enjoy my songs! I will listen to the ending with your comment in mind, I always enjoy making endings. Yeah, sometimes genres are easy to be terrible with... thanks again

• Like 1

Right!

I listened (a couple of turns maybe more 😉 ) I am a reader of words and I love (if that's right, given the sadness and seemingly hopeless message ) what you have put down in your music, for me, it seems unfinished, and I also feel that I can't offer a crit to help ... just that something is missing .. certainly not the verse, but in the whole piece somehow.. maybe the high hat could come down a bit and bass drum up, to carry the tune through , the continuous drone of the pad is great ( John Lennon's 'I'm only dreaming ' comes to mind) .. for me you have a real feel for the message and skipped your skill as a musician, in some way.

Never the less it is a great piece and worthy of a little more time ..instrumentally ... plus! "where's the lyrics!"😎 LOL

All the best

Steve

Edited by Supa Reels
  • Thanks 1