UAD Any 2 Plugins for $149

cclarry

10 hours ago, Ryan R said:

This was a great deal!  There was a $50 off this bundle in my cart, plus the $25 holiday coupon, plus a $25 from my last purchase.  2 UAD plugins for $50 is almost PA territory :)

Yep. Just told somebody I was tapping out unless a great deal came around. Well, then this showed up!! 

3 hours ago, Lionel said:

I’ve been out of the loop for some time… and I see they’ve added quite a lot of new stuff. What are the best UAD plugins these days?  

I just got the Hitsville stuff with a free upgrade, so I have no opinion on them yet.  

My favs or ones you should definitely demo are: 

TubeTech CL1b 

AMS DMX

AMS RMX

Capitol Chambers 

Lexicon 480L 

Lexicon 224

Ams Neve DFC 

Dytronics Cylopanner 

Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus 

Oxford Envolution 

AKG BX20

Massenburg Designworks EQ

Maag EQ4

Ocean Way Studios Room Modeler 

Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor 

Little Labs VOG 

Little Labs IBP

EMT250 

Sound Machine Wood Works 

Some of these are available in different formats, PA offerings, Softube, etc.  so that should be taken into account.  Some may or may not sound different.  There's also a question of if you partake in using UAD hardware for modeling.  

I concentrate these days on primarily the Unison stuff and have all the ones I want at the moment. Being able to track through the plugins is what led me to UAD 8 years ago. Native plugins have come so far that they rival a lot of the UAD plugins, though being able to off-load CPU cycles to the UA hardware is very helpful as well. The real magic is with the Apollo pre/Unison plugin signal chain. For instance, I usually track electric guitars by miking cabs through the Helios console in a Unison slot, followed by the UAD Distressor. Sublime. It got me back into committing the sound "to tape" like the old days as opposed to trying to fix stuff downstream.

The Neve 1084 is wonderful (I like it better than the 1073. The upper mids sound smoother and less spiky to me), the Avalon VT-737 and the Manley VoxBox are go-tos on vocals (the VoxBox is also great on a bass DI), the SSL 4000 gets used for tracking almost everything, as does the API Vision. The plain Neve and API preamps alone do wonders to an incoming signal. The Helios, though, is a secret weapon. It's about as surgical as a grenade but push it a bit and it sounds amazing.

To be sure, it's a sizable investment to enter into the UAD world but it's helped me make better, more inspired recordings from the very first day.

• Like 3

Been surprised by the hitvsille eq frankly , i didn texpected that much this sounds superb and you don t spend 30 min twealking ...

i already have a lot of eq so i ll skip for now budget already smashed ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e-cue said:

I just got the Hitsville stuff with a free upgrade, so I have no opinion on them yet.  

My favs or ones you should definitely demo are: 

Thanks for that list I'll look further into those.  I use their UAD internal cards.

That Hitsville plugin looks intriguing. 

5 hours ago, Zo said:

don t try it !!! run run run ....

I never wanted to get into the UAD eco system.  Too much money. 

I got a great deal on an USB Apollo and the plugins came with it. The first time I used the Unison tech to record some vocals I was hooked. Used the API Vision channel... sweet. 

I don't want to record without it now. And just like Tommy, I now commit more to takes than I did in the past. 

My fav has to be the Lexicons. Both are excellent.  That API Vision channel strip is nice too. 

Tommy is also correct about that Helios. Love it on my guitar.  :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Grem said:

I never wanted to get into the UAD eco system.  Too much money. 

I got a great deal on an USB Apollo and the plugins came with it. The first time I used the Unison tech to record some vocals I was hooked. Used the API Vision channel... sweet. 

I don't want to record without it now. And just like Tommy, I now commit more to takes than I did in the past. 

My fav has to be the Lexicons. Both are excellent.  That API Vision channel strip is nice too. 

Tommy is also correct about that Helios. Love it on my guitar.  :)

UAD is solid imho , not cheap , but when you understand when and how to buy , it's great , i spend too many not knowing this  ... on for exemple 3+1 bundles , i could have waited and bougth the ultimate ect ...

but anyway those are in every sessions on the majority of critical tracks at least ... and same in mastering 

Those could have made me skip buy several other plugins ;)

2 hours ago, mibby said:

Where does one get a "great deal" on anything UAD?

A friend, indeed!!

I should also say that after that "great deal" I jumped into the UAD system head first and haven't looked back!!

I got a Octo Satellite (from ebay - caught a good deal on that too!), then a Octo card  from another friend along with some great plugins I didn't have (it was also a great deal). I then went "all out" and bought a Apollo Twin X Quad Thunderbolt 3 from ProStar Audio. It was a brand new unit that was a "open box" item and got that at a reasonable discount. So once I knew what I wanted, I started looking and kept my eye open to deals. I think I got real lucky actually. 

Then, in keeping with my streak of luck, I happened upon a brand new Townsend Mic for a great price. Much lower than the asking price and below what I could get it used from ebay/reverb.

So, all the plugins I have I never paid the full asking price. The only thing I want from UAD now is maybe a couple of the Marshall guitar amps. I have almost all the channel strips and eq's.  You gotta do like Zo says and just sit and wait for the right sale. Larry taught me that!

And to be honest, the sound I get when tracking with the Unison tech has really changed the way I record. It's been an investment I don't regret.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grem said:

A friend, indeed!!

I should also say that after that "great deal" I jumped into the UAD system head first and haven't looked back!!

I got a Octo Satellite (from ebay - caught a good deal on that too!), then a Octo card  from another friend along with some great plugins I didn't have (it was also a great deal). I then went "all out" and bought a Apollo Twin X Quad Thunderbolt 3 from ProStar Audio. It was a brand new unit that was a "open box" item and got that at a reasonable discount. So once I knew what I wanted, I started looking and kept my eye open to deals. I think I got real lucky actually. 

Then, in keeping with my streak of luck, I happened upon a brand new Townsend Mic for a great price. Much lower than the asking price and below what I could get it used from ebay/reverb.

So, all the plugins I have I never paid the full asking price. The only thing I want from UAD now is maybe a couple of the Marshall guitar amps. I have almost all the channel strips and eq's.  You gotta do like Zo says and just sit and wait for the right sale. Larry taught me that!

And to be honest, the sound I get when tracking with the Unison tech has really changed the way I record. It's been an investment I don't regret.

Dude. I am sooooo beyond envious right now!  Besides the UAD stuff,  I literally just mixed a song where the Townsend mic was used on a few of the tracks. It was a blast playing with the Sphere plugin, and really pretty amazing at the different tones you could get. Really cool stuff!

You said in your earlier post you got a USB UAD audio interface, but your link is to a Thunderbolt.  Do need need a specific sound card to use a Thunderbolt cable?

Hey @cclarry didn't you get into the UAD stuff a while ago, then get out?  Someone tell me something "bad" about UAD (besides the price) PLEASE!  I stopped even considering UAD stuff because of the price a long time ago...

14 hours ago, mibby said:

It was a blast playing with the Sphere plugin, and really pretty amazing at the different tones you could get. Really cool stuff!

I can't wait to try it with my guitar amp!!!

14 hours ago, mibby said:

You said in your earlier post you got a USB UAD audio interface,

That was the first Apollo I had. I have it sitting on the floor in my music room. Not sure if I will get rid of it or not. I am presently using a Apollo Twin X Quad (two mic/line inputs) (four cpu). The USB has the same two inputs but only two cpu. The Thunderbolt also has better routing options with regard to inside the box.

• Like 1