First gig of the day

bitflipper

Already finished my first gig for today. Played the state fair, spent my earnings on an overpriced sandwich and came home.

Next up: get back into Friday afternoon traffic for a two-hour drive to tonight's gig on Camano Island. Normally, it's 45 minutes, but Friday afternoons it's bumper-to-bumper all the way.

Yeh, it's thankless work, bringing culture to the masses. But it's my mission.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, bitflipper said:

spent my earnings on an overpriced sandwich

Its called "Fair Prices" Dave.
Not to be confused with "Fair and Equitable", it means; You're at the Fair!

t

$50 and drinks beats $75 each for the night, for the band member thats a drinker.
just sayin'...

I remember the days when I used to do two gigs in one day. That's when I was greedier than I was sane ;)

We have a lot of gear to haul, that's the problem. 1 Sax, 2 wind synths, 2 guitars, tactile MIDI controller, 4 synth modules, 3 computers, 2 almost 40 pound powered speakers, and plenty of stands, pedals, and other accessories.

It's not the giging, it's the setup and tear down.

There was a guy who played before us before they shuffled things around that brought a Bose Speaker, microphone and two flat-top electric guitars. If I could play guitar as well as I play sax, I might go that route. Then I could do 2 gigs a day.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Thanks 1

Holy crap, was I beat when my head finally hit the pillow early this morning. Yesterday was a record-breaking 3-Mocha day. That's three Starbucks Iced Mochas in one day. I should have been bouncing of the walls, as I normally don't drink caffeine. 

We've really been gigging too much this summer, I think. The band's pretty tight now, but we're at that stage where it's all becoming rote muscle-memory. I'll catch my mind wandering mid-song, admiring a hot waitress, wondering if the forecast rain will hold off until after loadout, how I should feel about Pell grant recipients getting a $20,000 break on college tuition, and whether another Chernobyl-class nuclear disaster might be imminent. And then a brief panic when I suddenly realize that a) I've forgotten what song we were playing, b) I think I'm supposed to be soloing now, and c) how come we don't have a single jam in Am? I'll have to bring that up at next rehearsal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We were playing a large private party last night.

Great time, great setup, right near the pool and hot-tub

Ladies dancing in bathing suits.

One had a cover-up top where it looked like nothing was underneath.

Distracting to say the least.  Tried to avoid looking that direction.

Hazards of playing gigs at 55.   🤪

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, bitflipper said:

Holy crap, was I beat when my head finally hit the pillow early this morning.  then a brief panic when I suddenly realize  we don't have a single jam in Am? I'll have to bring that up at next rehearsal.

🤣

I dug your whole post ...I just couldn't resist ..

More Jams in A Minor = better gigs with better pay , All expense paid travel including airfare for the band members and equipment ,  And last but not least  free overpriced sandwiches😉

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I love it when the bikini babes come in. Mrs. Notes, my duo partner will even point them out to me....

Well..... at least she thinks that she does, right ? 

14 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

she is very secure

Because she knows that you have zero chance anyway. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well look at the bright side . You  may of had less than a zero chance while at the gig , but when you get home all the  pent up and frustrated energy you feel flowing through every cell of your being will need an outlet . Lets face  it you may be fast approaching over the hill as far as being a relevant  Saxophone $ex Icon goes , but hey! ,  your hurt feelings  can be transformed by your lovely wife  whom will be there to help you get over all the pain and suffering  you may be  feeling  .

Ah Yes it's the ole let me look at everything on the menu  , but " honey can we just order in from home tonight"  .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

You did have to point that out, didn't you :D

There is a positive side to being an older guy...... you no longer have to worry about the avoidance of temptation.

Because now temptation avoids you.

• Haha 3

Yes, all the cute young waitresses treat me like a friendly uncle. (Not that kind of friendly, either) ;)

The bikini babes that come through don't give me a second look (or actually a first one).

I had my days in a road band, playing singles bars, and eventually opening concerts for major stars. It was fun but I'm very comfortable and happy with Mrs. Notes. So when the bikini babes walk by, flaunting their youth, they are pleasant to look at, but there is no way anything more than a glance by me is going to happen.

On the other hand, I get to play music for a living, the audience is having fun, I'm having fun with both the audience and Mrs. Notes, the scenery is beautiful, and after 3 hours of fun, we go home with money in our pockets.

Life is the perfect way to spend the time of day.

Notes ♫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Life is the perfect way to spend the time of day.

Whenever my Dad was asked "how's life?", he'd always reply "beats the alternative".

But when I reminded my deeply religious brother of that, he said "well, not necessarily".

I will never get into a car with my brother. Or an airplane (he's a pilot).

On 8/29/2022 at 9:44 PM, Notes_Norton said:

We do two afternoons and one morning per week in an outdoor restaurant/bar on the public beach.

I love it when the bikini babes come in. Mrs. Notes, my duo partner will even point them out to me (she is very secure).

Notes ♫

How would she do here in France, where topless happens? Or some of the French islands were bottomless also happens?

Hopefully, she's like the wife of one of my friends. They returned from a trip to Tahiti,  and all she could complain about was that nude men lay on their stomachs and nude women lay on their backs. 🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, paulo said:

There is a positive side to being an older guy...... you no longer have to worry about the avoidance of temptation.

Because now temptation avoids you.

I turned 71 last Friday. Quit dating 6 years ago. I've not been hit on once since then. Younger women think they can change you. Older women know better.

I can't change the PTSD, but at least I don't have to deal with being left anymore. My 3 dogs handle my bad moments beautifully. They hide. When I get through one, they come back out best buddies, still with all the love in the world. My 3 sons!

What's a "gig"? 🎸😄

• Like 1