Toontrack Weekend Deals - EZKeys Classic Electrics & Contemporary R&B EZKeys Midi

pseudopop

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Superior Drummer 2 to 3 and the limited time deal felt pretty unreasonable to me.  Thankfully I have other drum packages.  EZ keys is fairly unique though.

This is what ticked off a lot of people. SD 3 was released on September 12th 2017 and the upgrade path from SD 2 to 3 was available until 31st of December 2018.

Personally, if I use something regularly and think it's worth updating to a new version, I rarely wait over a year to do it. So I can't really understand the rage of SD 2 owners. If you wanted to update, why didn't you? If you didn't want to, what's the problem (besides the principle of thing)? I mean, it's basically like the intro pricing of some products.

I concede that putting a time limit on the upgrade pricing seems a bit like forcing people to buy the upgrade, and it also makes all those SD 2 licenses that might float up later useless. I think the latter is what Toontrack was aiming for, though.

Edit: I can understand if someone had trouble getting the money together by the deadline. This is a valid and understandable reason to be upset about it. Also, I'm not saying there aren't any other valid reasons to be upset about the deadline. I'm just saying that while I can kind of understand how some people would find this kind of deadline offensive, having over year to decide about and prepare for an upgrade seems reasonable to me.

Edit 2 (3, actually): I'm reading forum conversations from the time this was more topical. Someone said that they had bought SD 2 just before SD 3 was released. I can understand how in that situation you'd want to wait a bit longer before updating.

Edit 3: There were also people who hadn't used the software during the time of the upgrade window. You know, life happened and all that.

I have successfully changed my own mind and I am now of opinion that there shouldn't be a time limit for buying an upgrade. Bad Toontrack!

Well, this was an educational self-talk.

Edited by pseudopop
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Superior Drummer 2 to 3 and the limited time deal felt pretty unreasonable to me.  Thankfully I have other drum packages.  EZ keys is fairly unique though.

I agree that one move was extremely unreasonable. Other than that one episode though, I find them to be pretty customer-oriented. Certainly more than InMusic’s BFD, which seems incapable of working the unreliability and wonkiness out of their software. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pseudopop said:

I have successfully changed my own mind and I am now of opinion that there shouldn't be a time limit for buying an upgrade. Bad Toontrack!

Just my speculation, but I think there may have been some kind of technical challenge with the keys involved. The cut-off period was also round about the time that Toontrack moved from DVD-only distribution to online downloads and the Toontrack Product Manager.

Aside from the upgrade cutoff, I'm glad they made the transition: not sure I'd like to install 235 GB of drum samples from DVDs.

2 minutes ago, antler said:

Just my speculation, but I think there may have been some kind of technical challenge with the keys involved. The cut-off period was also round about the time that Toontrack moved from DVD-only distribution to online downloads and the Toontrack Product Manager.

Well, Toontrack never gave any reasons, even when they were asked about it.

The only key related reason I can think of is that they somehow lost all the SD 2 keys and couldn't verify if someone was eligible for an upgrade or not. In that situation it would make sense to set a deadline so that everyone and their uncle could not upgrade their non-existent SD 2 to SD 3 until the end of time.

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Why does every discussion of Toontrack always turn into an SD2/3 discussion? I have never owned, and never will own that program.

I am a fan of the Toontrack EZ line of products, and FYI this thread topic is EZkeys... :)

Why does every Waves conversation turn into WUP discussion? :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, abacab said:

I am a fan of the Toontrack EZ line of products, and FYI this thread topic is EZkeys... :)

I like it too - it's very cool for trying out different arrangements quickly.

The deal prices are pretty good too - the MIDI pack works out even cheaper than the price of one in a 6-pack!