Free Demon Drop 48hrs

Fleer

59 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Sadly, I'm not downloading it because of how it was advertised.

It really is annoying and pretentious

and this other video

i was not able to reach the end of it, the piano sounds great but i dont get this kind of communication

Edited by GoncaloL
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GoncaloL said:

It really is annoying and pretentious

and this other video

i was not able to reach the end of it, the piano sounds great but i dont get this kind of communication

If we're going to be really candid, the Spitfire co founders were always proudly arrogant, and pretentious in their early days. It was very much on brand for them to alienate people as sport. But Christian cultivated a much more likeable,  approachable persona in his YouTube videos in the past several years when he realized the importance of growing the Spitfire brand.

With the exception of his infamous tweet, I thought Christian really did well with the video format.  I'd say he was probably better with the medium than any other sample developer I can think of (with apologies to my sample developer friends). I think this video is a bit meandering. But Christian is certainly capable of doing masterful YouTube videos for his business. I think it's been a factor in growing Spitfire to be one of the biggest players in the industry. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, I still quite like him. Here’s hoping his new endeavors succeed. 

Controversy aside. I have no idea if Christian cashed out his investment in Spitfire or  if he remains a silent partner, but one would assume that considering that, at least until recently, he owned half of a business that generates more than 20 million pounds annually and has a net worth in the tens of millions of pounds, he's easily able to fund this new venture for as long as he sees fit. Plus, there's not too many people in the sample development business that know how to create a successful brand in this business at the level he does.  I think it's probably just a question of what his goals are for this new venture. It does tell you a lot about what he was responsible for at Spitfire (based on what he's doing now and what Spitfire hasn't been doing since he left), and we can see that a lot of other orchestral sample developers have followed Henson's path in doing the freebies to get attention and bring new future customers in the fold.  I think some folks naively see that as altruism -- just as they saw Pianobook as altruism, but it really isn't. It's putting future customers in the pipeline and was a very wise strategy -- but one that it appears his partner at Spitfire wasn't totally on board with, or hasn't found the right person to lead the effort in Christian's absence. The Labs+ teaser was a great example of fantastically bad marketing communications. A sub brand that gives away free product is silent for the better part of a year and its first communication is a cryptic message that tries to excite its target audience that they're now going to have to pay for future product. Really, really bad idea. Even if they were going to launch this new Labs non-free product, that isn't a good way to do it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

The Labs+ teaser was a great example of fantastically bad marketing communications. A sub brand that gives away free product is silent for the better part of a year and its first communication is a cryptic message that tries to excite its target audience that they're now going to have to pay for future product. Really, really bad idea. Even if they were going to launch this new Labs non-free product, that isn't a good way to do it. 

It's speculation until we see Labs +. I get it if(not buy it) it unlocks features in their player.

Edited by kitekrazy

On 4/26/2024 at 3:00 PM, TheSteven said:

That's a hell of thing to get offended by...

At least nowadays. 

Yeah, one might think that real spiritual concerns would be more along the lines of lying, injustice, exploitation, cheating, stealing, fraud, deception, hate, intolerance, abuse, discrimination... but yeah, say the word "demon" and, well, I'll just quote the words of JI Packer, "...three thousand miles wide and half an inch deep." But there it is. I hear that Henson sacrifices one goat for each Demon Drop 😈 that's downloaded. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I just think they had trouble trying to come up with a name.  Maybe they used a dart board with all sorts of words on it.

The worst one I heard is called Apeshyt.  Then the emails are full of urban wannabee words.

• Like 1