Cakewalk Next or Cakewalk Sonar?

Interesting video I watched about Dolby in general for music, basically they could not see the point,  as 90% of consumers listen on low price ear buds not capable of the Dolby needs.

Film very useful probably but not much for music.

4 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Interesting video I watched about Dolby in general for music, basically they could not see the point,  as 90% of consumers listen on low price ear buds not capable of the Dolby needs.

FWIW if you're talking Dolby Atmos, it can render to binaural audio that works well on headphones and earbuds. Of course, it doesn't have the impact a full-blown surround system with a bunch of speakers. However, with so many people listening on headphones, Atmos mixes are a step up. There's a sense of fullness and space you don't get with stereo. 

Lately I'm posting both Atmos (headphones only) and Stereo (speakers or headphones) mixes on my YouTube channel, like how labels put out mono and stereo versions of the same record during the transition from mono to stereo. The Atmos version gets more clicks.

• Like 4

On 4/1/2024 at 3:37 AM, Mr No Name said:

If they end use of Cakewalk DAW, that will be a very daft move imo.

it was designed as a free daw to attract people to the bandlab platform,

On 4/2/2024 at 12:32 PM, User 905133 said:

What do you mean when you say Cakewalk was designed to attract people to the bandlab platform? 

On 4/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, Starship Krupa said:

That seemed to be its function at first. Re-release this classic program to be used at no cost, but it requires creating a BandLab account.

So for years, it acted as a promotional loss-leader.

I hate to tell you because I thought you knew, but Cakewalk was around long before Bandlab acquired the Intellectual Property that became CbB.

@Craig Anderton I hear what you say, though this was the opinion of a respected (probably) music producer.

For myself however having listened to several tunes mixed for Dolby Atmos and Digital on both a good quality 5.1.4 and 5.1 systems, mixed by engineers that should know what they are doing, for me the 5.1 was a better musical experience. On the 5.1.4 matched Dolby Atmos Focal system whoopee the FX flew round the room,  but no better than on my 5.1 system, which is again quality speakers.

If it grabs your bits do it but......

Film different story, but to get the best of it you need a multi speaker system, those using sound bars, well it keeps some happy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I hate to tell you because I thought you knew, but Cakewalk was around long before Bandlab acquired the Intellectual Property that became CbB.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse here or if you really think I believe that Cakewalk's entire history began in April of 2018.

I (and I think the other person as well) was talking about Cakewalk by BandLab.

I had a SONAR license in 2002. Here's an article I authored about CbB that includes some of its history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_by_BandLab

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse here or if you really think I believe that Cakewalk's entire history began in April of 2018.

I (and I think the other person as well) was talking about Cakewalk by BandLab.

I had a SONAR license in 2002. Here's an article I authored about CbB that includes some of its history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_by_BandLab

Well, I was confused by your answering a question as if you were the person the question was addressed to.  One other option was that you have (at least) two accounts and for some reason you were using Mr No Name so you could post things you didn't want people to associate with Starship Krupa.  I thought that would be too ridiculous (though not impossible), which was why I expressed surprised.

I mean if I quote person X and ask directly "what did you mean when you said Y?" and you know I know the history, but person X presents himself as someone new to the community who doesn't read manuals, why would you answer a question as if you are someone else?

I suppose if you wanted to answer on behalf of Mr No Name (assuming you are two different people)

On 4/1/2024 at 3:37 AM, Mr No Name said:

it was designed as a free daw to attract people to the bandlab platform,

On 4/2/2024 at 12:32 PM, User 905133 said:

What do you mean when you say Cakewalk was designed to attract people to the bandlab platform? 

On 4/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, Starship Krupa said:

That seemed to be its function at first. Re-release this classic program to be used at no cost, but it requires creating a BandLab account.

So for years, it acted as a promotional loss-leader.

Based on the posts I have seen made under the name of Mr No Name, I had no reason to assume he didn't mean what he actually said.  So I did the responsible thing and asked a direct question to get clarification. 

So I was quite surprised that you told me something that I have every reason to believe you know I knew. 

Your insinuation that I might have been "deliberately obtuse" is very problematic.  As I stated, based on previous posts I have read from the Mr No Name account, I would have been wrong to assume that Mr No Name meant

it [Cakewalk] was designed purchased by Bandlab so they could use it as a free daw to attract people to the bandlab platform,

So far as I have seen from his posts Mr No Name could very well have thought that Cakewalk was designed as a free DAW so Bandlab [the company] could attract people to Bandlab [the software / app / ecosystem].

This is an false dichotomy.

In case it's not clear, I asked for clarification about what "Mr No Name" meant by what he said. It was clear that I was asking a direct question for the purpose of getting a clarification of what he meant.  

I don't understand at all how that was not clear to you from my post. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo (way --> why)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Well, I was confused by your answering a question as if you were the person the question was addressed to.  One other option was that you have (at least) two accounts and for some reason you were using Mr No Name so you could post things you didn't want people to associate with Starship Krupa.  I thought that would be too ridiculous (though not impossible), which was why I expressed surprised.

I mean if I quote person X and ask directly "what did you mean when you said Y?" and you know I know the history, but person X presents himself as someone new to the community who doesn't read manuals, why would you answer a question as if you are someone else?

I suppose if you wanted to answer on behalf of Mr No Name (assuming you are two different people)

Based on the posts I have seen made under the name of Mr No Name, I had no reason to assume he didn't mean what he actually said.  So I did the responsible thing and asked a direct question to get clarification. 

So I was quite surprised that you told me something that I have every reason to believe you know I knew. 

Your insinuation that I might have been "deliberately obtuse" is very problematic.  As I stated, based on previous posts I have read from the Mr No Name account, I would have been wrong to assume that Mr No Name meant

So far as I have seen from his posts Mr No Name could very well have thought that Cakewalk was designed as a free DAW so Bandlab [the company] could attract people to Bandlab [the software / app / ecosystem].

This is an false dichotomy.

In case it's not clear, I asked for clarification about what "Mr No Name" meant by what he said. It was clear that I was asking a direct question for the purpose of getting a clarification of what he meant.  

I don't understand at all how that was not clear to you from my post. 

Amish rakefight!

Just a silly misunderstanding, mate. You know I think yer a good dude and a credit to the forum (I hope you know, at least). Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I should have said "I think what he means is...."

BTW, I have no secondary accounts and believe that it's bad form to do so. You can always recognize me by the long-winded pedantic style anyway. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

BTW, I have no secondary accounts and believe that it's bad form to do so. You can always recognize me by the long-winded pedantic style anyway. 😄

oh that's why I keep falling asleep reading your posts ;)   😁

On 4/2/2024 at 5:32 PM, User 905133 said:

I have a confession to make. I am a second user account of  User 905133,

I'm sorry I shouldn't have done it, please forgive me.

• Meh 1

7 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

I have a confession to make. I am a second user account of  User 905133,

I'm sorry I shouldn't have done it, please forgive me.

If you think this is funny, you are an *****.

In case anyone is inclined to believe Mr No Name's blatant, malicious, and malevolent lie, you might want to read this thread

Edited by User 905133
To add a reference to a thread where a number of us tried to help "Mr No Name" with what what seemed at first to be a legitimate request for help with his "No Sound" issue.

42 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

In case anyone is inclined to believe Mr No Name's blatant, malicious, and malevolent lie, you might want to read this thread

That doesn't really prove anything. There used to be a guy in the songs forum that argued with himself all the time.😀

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

You can always recognize me by the long-winded pedantic style anyway. 😄

TLDR.

Oh wait......

Sorry, force of habit.😁

3 minutes ago, paulo said:

That doesn't really prove anything. There used to be a guy in the songs forum that argued with himself all the time.😀

If you want to believe Mr No Name's false accusation against me, I suppose there are some that would say "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" to which we can add "even if they are factually wrong."

3 minutes ago, paulo said:
13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

You can always recognize me by the long-winded pedantic style anyway. 😄

TLDR.

Oh wait......

Sorry, force of habit.😁

@Starship Krupa After re-reading the original "Mr No Name" thread and seeing the length and pedantry in some of my posts, I think we should pretend we were separated at birth.  Otherwise some people will jump to the false conclusion that you and I are the same person.  🤪

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

If you want to believe Mr No Name's false accusation against me, I suppose there are some that would say "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" to which we can add "even if they are factually wrong."

I didn't say that I believed it, I said that the evidence you presented to make your case did nothing to prove that it's not true.😁

Edited by paulo