Lightning Strikes - Interesting little experiment with Cakewalk

PJH

I'm in the process of remixing my second solo album which was released in 2013. The album was recorded initially using Sonar X3. I opened the project in CBB and none of my third party plugins loaded.

I decided to remix this track but only using the Pro Channel and the the plugins that came with Cakewalk. (Eq, compression, reverb etc) Guitar was recorded the old school way (miced up Marshall) using an MI Audio Crunchbox.

The video was shot in standard definition back then so I tried the upscaling feature in Vegas to HD as a test and then re edited the video as well.

It's come out much better than I expected. It also makes me think that maybe less is more regarding amount of third party plugins installed on my system.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, PJH said:

makes me think that maybe less is more regarding amount of third party plugins installed on my system.

Yep! Too often I jump on the “next best thing”. When I should just learn the tools I have. (sub “we” for “I” if you like)

Really enjoyed this. Especially Larry, man can he drum!

Hearing the cymbals better now…

Left my like and comment on YouTube…

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
spelling
  • Like 2

Great rockin' track, enjoyed it! It sounds great, on my headphones the crunch rhythm is  over powering the lead a bit, I don't know if the rhythm is slightly loud or the lead could be a little more up front. Love your playing.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Yep! Too often I jump on the “next best thing”. When I should just learn the tools I have. (sub “we” for “I” if you like)

Really enjoyed this. Especially Larry, man can he drum!

Hearing the cymbals better now…

Left my like and comment on YouTube…

t

Spot on Tom! We're always looking for that "silver bullet" to make things sound better. Yep, I don't know what I would do without Larry!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:16 PM, KSband said:

Great rockin' track, enjoyed it! It sounds great, on my headphones the crunch rhythm is  over powering the lead a bit, I don't know if the rhythm is slightly loud or the lead could be a little more up front. Love your playing.

Thanks for your comments! Yes, I prefer the solo guitar to a bit "in the mix" instead of upfront. I like the backing guitars giving the track more power.

Cheers!

On 3/31/2024 at 10:20 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Peter

Liked this a lot - excellent playing all round and I thought the mix was just right

Excellent

Nigel

Thanks Nigel!

Cheers!

On 3/27/2024 at 3:33 AM, jwnicholson78 said:

Sounds great, and I really enjoyed the video too.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Thanks for subscribing!

On 3/31/2024 at 4:44 PM, AndyB01 said:

Right in my wheelhouse this Peter, sounds and looks terrific.

Enjoyed the listen.

Andy

Thanks for the comments Andy!