"Indian Dream" -Gary Brun- remaster

mark skinner

Hello , here's an instrumental I've just finished up. I'm sharing the melody with a nylon acoustic , cello , and bass guitar. I'm not sure of the genre ??   It's got an Indian feel. I've been on that kick lately. Any suggestions for improvement , crits will be appreciated. 

Thanks ..   mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14745974

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 7

Absolutely love this.  Outstanding playing, and the indian influence gives it a really nice vibe.  I agree with earlier comments about bringout out the melody a little more.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Thanks 1

@Wookiee Thanks , a room correction box is something I could use as well ..

@morenoises Thanks Rik , I believe calm is the main thing going for this one.

@KSband Appreciate the listen and comment. If you had a choice between an eletric guitar or piano which do you think would work better for a melody instrument ?

@jack c. Thanks , I really like working with minor 7ths. I guess you are in agreement about boosting the melody line. I'll see what I can come up with without stepping on everything else.

@subvibe Thank You for weighing in. I appreciate the guitar comment. There was more of it , but the song was getting too long and I ended up cutting a section out. I had a little trouble with the transition afterwards.

@Lynn Wilson Your comments are always inspiring. 😊 I usually don't know what to expect myself. They're never written before I start recording. This one started as a vocal song (again)..    I'm back on it with completely different backing but the same vocal ideas. Another one with an Indian vibe..

@jwnicholson78 Thanks Jeff . I was typing when you responded. I appreciate the conformation. Maybe you could 3d print me a Sitar ..  I once owned one made out of some type of plastic .  😁

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions ..   mark

11 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

@jwnicholson78 Thanks Jeff . I was typing when you responded. I appreciate the conformation. Maybe you could 3d print me a Sitar ..  I once owned one made out of some type of plastic .  😁

🤣I had a hell of a time coming up with a uke design that didn't break apart from the tension of the teeny little nylon strings.  I need a whole new print technology to handle a Sitar.

Nice goal to shoot for thought 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Nice Mark, this is the first third party track I have listened to using the ARC Studio room correction Box.

Hi @Wookiee
I just bought this too..  you happy with it?
I find it really brings my bass and vocals more forward.
Also I have it on the default curve after correction... do uou?
Don't need my Sonarworks and mic anymore.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:34 AM, mark skinner said:

Hello , here's an instrumental I've just finished up. I'm sharing the melody with a nylon acoustic , cello , and bass guitar. I'm not sure of the genre ??   It's got an Indian feel. I've been on that kick lately. Any suggestions for improvement , crits will be appreciated. 

Thanks ..   mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14745974

Hi Mark.
I think sounds great pal.
Nice panning and you've nailed the eq on that kick sound...

• Thanks 1

• mark skinner changed the title to "Indian Dream" -Gary Brun- remaster

@mark skinner, @garybrun . . . I listened to this last night (headphones), so looks like you've updated the mix . . . first of all it's got that "classic" different guitars panned left and right thing that Mark does so well, and the recorded acoustic instruments are captured to perfection I think. From my memory of the previous listen I think the arrangement got a lot clearer, especially in the low end . . . bass guitar pops a lot more, and the tabla sounds really good and punchy.  Certainly goes through a lot of moods, Indian jazz, mix collab sounds excellent, and you know I love that cello !

• Like 2

@noynekker...  Thank You.
I mastered it privately for Mark as I love his sound.. and he asked if he could publish it.
Just purchased the ARC Studio and this was the first song I have ever tried it on.. and I am pleased with the result.
Some of the comments have mentioned adding a melody.
I think it doesn't need it personally.

I really like Marks music and his voice.. so I have great picture in my mind when I listen to it.
I haven't listened to it on headphones yet.. will give it a try now.

• Like 1

Very nice Mark.

Left a like and comment over at SoundClick.
Y'all could too ya know...

t

I'm bluetoothed into my new hearing-aids and adjusting to being able to hear the "top end" again!
Consequently I'll hold off on any "technical" comments as I'm still "learning" where I'm at these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes , I was pleasently surprised recieving a new master from Gary. I transferred it to a new project and compaired the new with my old one. 

I was Blown Away by the clairity and tonal differences of the two using my monitors.  Suttle things like reverb panned opposite of the track came thru that were lost on my master. The highs were pristine and brought out the reverb more , but not "too" much to make it washy. The lowes punched more with better seperation of the instruments. He mentiond he kept the low frequencys in mono using mid /side.   A little over my head ,  I've  lots of learning to do..

I guess this is one example of being satisfied with a basic Ozone AI master, against one done by a competent audio wizard using his ears.  No comparison ..       Thanks Gary.    mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

I guess this is one example of being satisfied with a basic Ozone AI master, against one done by a competent audio wizard using his ears.  No comparison ..       Thanks Gary.    mark

I am not a "competent audio wizard".. wish I was though!!
Just learning new things and experimenting.
I learned everything I know on here... and other courses etc.
One advice is...  "If it sounds good... it usually is" and you don't need all the meters.

I use the meters as the last part of my chain just to check.
But it helps a lot when you have good recorded and worked out mixes  (your good at that Mark)
The saying "crap in and crap out) is spot on and you cant polish a turd!!

You should post the before and after so people can learn and hear the difference.
Banldlab would be good for that... I can do it if you like?

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1