Backstage Pass and Sonar Pricing

On 3/22/2024 at 9:17 AM, John Vere said:

only Pro Tools was a subscription

And it seems even Avid have backed down and they now offer a perpetual license for PT.

Studio One has a subscription option, Studio One+, which bundles Studio One Pro with a variety of other products and services.

Which leaves Audition as the only DAW I can find that is subscription-only. $23 a month.

I have to wonder if anyone other than people who have full CC subscriptions uses Audition.

9 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

... and a simple thing like communicating to potential customers  what their options are is a herculean task which takes several months and requires preparing the grounds several times for some reason.

I agree, it is very weird!

Usually the marketing people work out prices and versions while the development team is working on the software. So that they are ready when the product is "feature-complete".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CSistine said:

Usually the marketing people work out prices and versions while the development team is working on the software. So that they are ready when the product is "feature-complete".

Absolutely as well as have all the details attended to like the info on the web page. Tutorials and fancy promo videos press releases to the industry, unveiled at NAAM. 
They either have a brilliant plan that has yet to be revealed or they just don’t think things through. 

I have now been on all the major DAWs web pages and Bandlabs sites will need a lot of work if they want to look good out there. For almost a year the main thing you see is “Coming Soon”. ?? 
That’s unheard of elsewhere. 
I want to see Price and a demo the rest is exactly the same boring promo all the web pages have which I doubt anyone reads, I don’t, it’s all promo marketing speak and you rarely see what you want to know so on to the demo.

I guess Cakewalk is the demo! 
What a confusing mess I feel sorry for any one who might have been interested. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 6
  • Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, CSistine said:

In my experience this is done before development begins in earnest. A business needs to know the size of the market, competition, pricing, feature set and cost of development  before the first shovel full of dirt is turned. Bandlab may not have decided what sales model to implement but they almost certainly know what the numbers are.

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

In my experience this is done before development begins in earnest. A business needs to know the size of the market, competition, pricing, feature set and cost of development  before the first shovel full of dirt is turned. Bandlab may not have decided what sales model to implement but they almost certainly know what the numbers are.

Guess they just haven't had enough time yet? Really?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Guess they just haven't had enough time yet? Really?

Please clarify. I can't tell if you're questioning my experiences or if your expressing dismay at BandLab's actions. As for me, I have no idea what's going on at BandLab. I'm just adding some insight into how some companies I've been involved with have made product decisions. 

Someone forgot to put the cake in the fridge and is now suffering the consequences. The longer it takes, the worst it gets.

Cutting sugar intake is good though, especially added sugar. So your body will thank you I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

As we can be reasonably sure that the Bandlab guys will be keeping some oversight of this discussion, it would seem to be a good time for them to make some kind of clarification statement about how Sonar is going to be made available in the future.

It is confusing to see the pre-release being made available on a paid for basis via Backstage Pass, without (as far as I can see) any confirmation that this paid for access is going to count for something when the full release is done.  I say this, in part, because of the amount of additional 'beta' testing feedback which those folks accessing Sonar via Backstage Pass are providing to Bandlab.

I'm not suggesting that firm pricing needs to be announced now (although I don't see why not) but at the very least some clarification as to whether Back Stage pass is the final 'purchase' route to Sonar or not; and if not, how we are going to be able to purchase Sonar.

• Like 2

Yesterday, as some of you did, I received Native Instruments 2024 newsletter. Cutting all the blah, it specifically mentioned this:

"We also understand subscriptions aren’t for everyone, so don't worry – our perpetual bundles won't be going anywhere."

:)

I agree, it's not healthy  not disclosing if perpetual licenses will be available for Sonar.... Especially now, when working demo is available. 

While I do have faith that Sonar will not be a subscription only gig, very recently I was looking at a few competitors and made a probable choice if things will go sour.  That was after reviewing Sonar demo. The reason - because non subscription options were not mentioned. This is not a "threat" of any kind, just want to show, if it matters, how some of millions of users think. I do like new look/feel of Sonar and will be among first in line if non sub. options will be offered.

P.S. I also think it will be noble for Bandlab to permanently unlock  the software that was purchased before Bandlab's takeover and if they want to be extra nice, unlock Cakewalk by Bandlab permanently...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Misha said:

That was after reviewing Sonar demo. 

Warning- I’m being attack in another thread for calling it a demo. But I can’t help but think of it otherwise. To me a Demo is what you have when you can try software but you haven’t bought it yet. It will expire if you don’t buy it. 
Im also demoing a bunch of the most popular DAW’s. Each one is different but all have a similarity in what they can accomplish. 

There’s just one deal breaker that is interesting and that is none of them so far use a smart tool! I find it now prehistoric to have to manually switch tools for midi editing. 

But none of them are subscription only. Most have different levels at different prices. I see no signs of needing re- activation. 

In the end Cakewalk/ Sonar has the best workflow for midi editing bar none. Problem I have right now I hope they fix is all the themes except Mercury have dark PRV. So for me Sonar is crippled. I’m still using Cakewalk in the meantime. 

• Like 2

"Demo is what you have when you can try software but you haven’t bought it yet."

I downloaded Sonar without registering with "backstage pass". It runs, but saving is disabled. To me that's sort of a demo :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Please clarify. I can't tell if you're questioning my experiences or if your expressing dismay at BandLab's actions. As for me, I have no idea what's going on at BandLab. I'm just adding some insight into how some companies I've been involved with have made product decisions. 

Comment is about Bandlab, NOT you. Yes your post prompted the post "about Bandlab", hence the quote. A stated by others much too much coming soon ...............
Nothing personal intended.

Edited by Pathfinder

For me https://www.bandlab.com/membership is just black... It contacts tons of trackers (google, tiktok, facebook, outbrain, etc.), my Firefox refuse to load it.

From the beginning,  "free" CbB was demanding re-activation every half an year. So it was clear it will not be really "free" forever. All these locking, started at Platinum time, especially after "new" version of Z3TA2 with online activation as  the only visible change, and especially related bugs, was not convincing. Now the owner is different and management behavior is even less convincing: "our free product will be paid product... soon..."

But I have thought may be there is re-start in the development. Unfortunately the video linked early in this thread has demonstrated the second change of GUI framework and several tiny features.  No MIDI routing/VST and  no offline pre-processing during playback and so I guess still the very same 20 years old engine.

I am hobbyist, but last years I have payed quite some money for plug-ins and a bit for  the DAW. And I have no regrets because each time it was absolutely clear for what I pay (and how much... for Bandlab membership I can't even find the price in euro and info about VAT). I want a DAW be able to run during lifetime (my! not DAWs!). And I know that is the case with Sonar X and my current DAW. Any version, at any time, offline.

In other words, Sonar X (and CbB, till possible to run) projects will be supported by ReaCWP (I am still fixing bugs when spotted), but any changes in the format introduced by "new Sonar" will not be supported/fixed. I mean if you have project files from X/CbB, don't overwrite them when "testing" "new Sonar". Just in case you need ReaCWP in the future... who knows...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

I'm sure it was sarcasm as Bandlab has been able to pull stats for YEARS now on end users using Cakewalk and having to re-authenticate every 6 months.  

• Like 1

This thread is like putting an unopened bag of popcorn in front of you and shouting POP! POP! POP!

I have a suspicion - and you can call me crazy if you like - that the price will become known when - and this is a bit out of left field, I know - the price is announced.

I also think that the before the price is announced, the price will not be known.

Edited by John T
  • Confused 1