Why Not...

5 hours ago, sjoens said:

... make CbB an As-Is, one-time paid option with no support for those who don't want or like the new Sonar?

3 hours ago, CSistine said:

But with a single activation!

I think you'd be on to a winner there, at least for the user.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

because they won't make ongoing money from that, devs have to eat etc

But the users are no aid agency! 😉 

IMO it's a question of consumer demand that has to be met. Enforcing selling by authorization games is not the proper way! But YMMV!

Oops, I've said too much again! (too pert?)

• Haha 1

compare to the gaming industry (huge!) there's only a couple of chancers trying to do it there, majority of stuff is a one-off payment, LIKE A TRADITIONAL PRODUCT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sjoens said:

make CbB an As-Is, one-time paid option

I have that, it’s called Sonar 8.5 IIRC. 
Meaning I own it and I have all the necessary “serial” and “key” to install and run it. Do I? Really? 🤷‍♂️

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

Those of us who would like to get off the bus now with what we have now should be permitted to if we want. Even for some nominal flat sum or some such.  I completely agree.

I have Sonar Platinum which I will revert to as it's fine and dandy and I have oddles of image backups that I can dump onto a new ssd and rock on at the moment's notice without reinstalling one nibble from the "cloud" or otherwise.

The synththesizer V ARA instrument I use for vocals anymore will do a region effect on Cakewalk by Bandlab and even the new Sonar but not Sonar Plantinum for some odd reason though.

I'm venturing into the retirement world and a fixed income. I do not like to be extorted one bit and don't understand why there is not and exit for old koots like me when I'm just giddish about the daw I have and want nothing more, not even vector graphics.

Edited by bitman
  • Like 2

I agree. In away the only excuse they have is that it was free software so we never owned it to begin with,  so therefore you cannot keep it. 

I'm still using Movie Studio 17 even though it's full of bugs. I bought the upgrade to 2023 and they had changed it beyond function for me. 

I already bought ( actually renting) Sonar but I'll admit I ended up finishing my work yesterday in Cakewalk. It was actually due to the fact that I haven't associated files with Sonar yet. I accidentally opened the song I had been working on from explorer and Cakewalk opened. Oops, there's was no warning about opening in an old version so I happily carried on. Now working more efficiently by not making all the click errors I had been making in Sonar

Returning to even Sonar Platinum is not a viable option. That hurts!   

Selling CbB outright as is would make a lot of people happy.  What do they have to lose?  And I'm sure just like the transition from 8.5 to the X series the hold outs would eventually cross over once the new version was to their liking. That's a more user friendly transition than what we are facing now.   We all hated the skylight interface too if you remember.  I stayed with 8.5 up until X3.  Now we are basically saying we want to keep it. 

They could add a button in the Cakewalk Product manager-  " Unlock Cakewalk " which takes you to the store where you purchase it. I would do this for sure even if I also keep Sonar. Win Win. They would actually create extra income if you think about it. Example as I said I'd be willing to own both! 

And it could happen the day Sonar is officially released. As it is,  after that day Cakewalk users will be waking up each day wondering if CbB will still be activated. That sucks. 

OK Bandlab are you listening-- I'm waving money at you! Do you want it?  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, sjoens said:

... make CbB an As-Is, one-time paid option with no support for those who don't want or like the new Sonar?

Imagine the screams of protest from the 'you said it would always be free!' crowd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitman said:

The synththesizer V ARA instrument I use for vocals anymore will do a region effect on Cakewalk by Bandlab and even the new Sonar but not Sonar Plantinum for some odd reason though.

I don’t know about Synthesizer V, but if it requires ARA 2, SONAR Platinum won’t work. SONAR Platinum only supports ARA, not ARA 2. I think ARA 2 support was introduced in CbB 2019.5.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, pwal³ said:

because they won't make ongoing money from that, devs have to eat etc

Money is made from each sale and some of those will also end up buying new Sonar, so could be a win-win for them.  If it's even possible to do.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

The developers have all but said openly that the pricing is out of their hands so they really aren't the ones to approach. I believe there is zero hope that any logic or offer from us will change Bandlab's mind but you need to go straight to Bandlab and let the developers do their work. Now if Sonar fails, Bandlab might release it to everyone like the older Sonar. Ya never know.

But hey, Bandlab hasn't said "This is the final pricing offer and you need to just shut up." Yes, the current Backdoor pricing is very likely the final pricing but until they say "This is it." Maybe there will be a one time offer for either CbB or Sonar. I'm hoping we know by June.

Edited by Terry Kelley