End of life for TTS-1

I just saw this posted in the announcement regarding the last release. 
Quote: 

“The TTS-1 synth is no longer installed by Cakewalk, by request from Roland. This product is no longer supported and has reached end of life. Older installed versions may continue to work but it is no longer a default for insert instrument.”

Unquote 

But I would imagine we will still have access to it if it was already installed.
I guess it will not be installed with upcoming Sonar. 
I wonder if  Sonar will include the same Generic boring instruments as Cakewalk Next? 
I noticed in Next that GM midi files open with very few appropriate instruments assigned to the tracks. I think there’s only a few common instruments. 
So GM midi files will end up with a lot of piano substitutes as tracks instead of wind instruments and what not. 

I can see Roland requested the removal of the TTS-1 as they  are one of the few developers that make a GM player still. 

We will all be fine until down the road when you rebuild a new system then you will be faced with life with out a free GM player. 

update March 23 2024- I’ll post the links to the 2 videos I produced on this topic so people don’t have to go digging through this long thread: 

No TTS-1 No Problem- https://youtu.be/kF3tEttGdIQ?si=ww5yU8Wesi0ejmBz

Goodbye TTS-1

https://youtu.be/Zw-UqrMmF0A?si=Y3lSjXwjR61elW-p

Edited by John Vere
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I just saw this posted in the announcement regarding the last release. 
Quote: 

“The TTS-1 synth is no longer installed by Cakewalk, by request from Roland. This product is no longer supported and has reached end of life. Older installed versions may continue to work but it is no longer a default for insert instrument.”

Unquote 

But I would imagine we will still have access to it if it was already installed.
I guess it will not be installed with upcoming Sonar. 
I wonder if  Sonar will include the same Generic boring instruments as Cakewalk Next? 
I noticed in Next that GM midi files open with very few appropriate instruments assigned to the tracks. I think there’s only a few common instruments. 
So GM midi files will end up with a lot of piano substitutes as tracks instead of wind instruments and what not. 

I can see Roland requested the removal of the TTS-1 as they  are one of the few developers that make a GM player still. 

We will all be fine until down the road when you rebuild a new system then you will be faced with life with out a free GM player. 

If you had TTS-1 installed and you wish to do a fresh install, you should just need to install your previous version of Cakewalk, then install the latest Cakewalk By Bandlab.

I am fairly confident that the New Sonar will also pick up a previously installed version of TTS-1.

But, I share your concerns.   Queue the posts , “all my imported MIDI files won’t play”.

Maybe Roland wants to steer users to their paid Roland Canvas VA (which, currently, costs $US69).

Note: I use an external Yamaha SW1000XG card for this, which can emulate Roland GM/GS.  This is basically a Yamaha MU100 on a card.

It’s really only bad news for people who only have CbB. 
The rest of us will simply install any old version of Sonar. My example is I have Home Studio from 2015. 
I understood that you could only obtain Roland VST instruments by subscription to the Roland Cloud. 

I have a real Sound Canvas as well as a Korg 05R/W. I also have Cubase and then Band in Za Box. I see it’s GM player shows in Cakewalk as a plug in. I think it’s DX too. Apparently there’s a way to get Steinbergs Halion into Cakewalk. 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I have a real Sound Canvas . . . .

I have several Roland hardware sound GM/GS/Sound Canvas devices from the early to mid 1990s.  There are only two drawbacks: (1) no digital outs and (2) they use 5-pin DIN connectors.  Other than that, they are more than capable of handling any of my GM needs.

Edited by User 905133
the --> they (fixed typo)

I only ever used the TTS-1 to preview midi files. You can still do this in Media player or WinAmp using the MS wavetable. Cakewalk just removed the MS wavetable synth back in the Fall in the original “last update “. Apparently a lot of people were using it judging by the angry posts made.  Now goodbye TTS-1.
The only people affected right now would be the very rare person who just installed Cakewalk who actually pre views midi files. 
But you then realize how many Cakewalk users were using the TTS-1 totally unaware there’s a much better world out there of better synths. I wonder what the default will be in Sonar? 

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

It’s really only bad news for people who only have CbB. 

I only have CbB. I havent done the new update yet. When I do, will I lose access to the TTS-1? (I have current projects that use the "piano 1" in the TTS-1). Thanks!

2 hours ago, T Boog said:

I only have CbB. I havent done the new update yet. When I do, will I lose access to the TTS-1? (I have current projects that use the "piano 1" in the TTS-1). Thanks!

If you currently have TTS1, the update to latest/last CbB should NOT affect it.

If you update via the in-app toast it is about ~52Mb, if you use the Cakewalk Product Center, it will DL the entire installer (~500Mb).

But... it might be a good time to re-visit those old projects and sub in another piano instrument to make them bomb-proof for a little longer. Or at least label the tracks and notes so that changes can be made down the road.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

If you update via the in-app toast it is about ~52Mb, if you use the Cakewalk Product Center, it will DL the entire installer (~500Mb).

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage(s) to downloading the entire installer? And does it matter which download I choose as far as the TTS-1 goes?

10 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I have several Roland hardware sound GM/GS/Sound Canvas devices from the early to mid 1990s.  There are only two drawbacks: (1) no digital outs and (2) they use 5-pin DIN connectors.  Other than that, they are more than capable of handling any of my GM needs.

As does my SW1000XG Card (in a Windows 7 HP SSF PC)

6 hours ago, T Boog said:

If you have a fully functional TTS-1, then CbB 2024.02 build 98 will pick this up and be able to use is (I have tested this). 

If you do a fresh install of CbB 2024.02 build 98, then you need to first install the latest version of Cakewalk you had that came with TTS-1

I am fairly confident that the new Sonar Paid will also pick up any previous working version of TTS-1.  I suspect a fresh of install of the new Sonar Paid will also require that you first install the latest version of Cakewalk you had that came with TTS-1.

3 hours ago, T Boog said:

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage(s) to downloading the entire installer? And does it matter which download I choose as far as the TTS-1 goes?

If you need to do a fresh install without the Cakewalk Product Centre.   Mind you the Cakewalk Product Centre will do the install for you  - that would probably be easier.

12 hours ago, John Vere said:

I understood that you could only obtain Roland VST instruments by subscription to the Roland Cloud. 

No, a lifetime key*) to Roland Sound Canvas VA can be bought for $69, e.g. from JRR Shop. I don't have that plugin myself, as I have a Roland SoundCanvas SC-88 Pro standing on my desk, but would that one go up in smoke, I'd probably buy it. How else would I be able to listen to all the unfinished material I have from the last century? And although I do have TTS-1 since SONAR X1, is not for me.

*) Make of that what you will.

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Or maybe it's time to Just Say No! (to GM)!  😜  Seriously, GM is so 1980s! 

If you need that kind of aesthetic, TTS was the answer :D 

I used it extentively in that track, where i tried to capture 80's/90's games ost:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SVSX said:

If you need that kind of aesthetic, TTS was the answer :D 

I used it extensively in that track, where i tried to capture 80's/90's games out . . . .  [typos fixed]

Several years ago, I saw Roland MT-32s [pre-GM sound modules] listing for (and even selling at the time for) $400+ .  Those were without the after market, third party mods! I did some internet research and evidently, for a while they became desirable by gamers with seeming unlimited resources. 

Summer Games Miami does indeed capture the vintage game vibe!  A fun happy tune. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed misplaced )
  • Like 1

Disclosure: Last week I dug out one of my M-GS64 Sound Modules and connected it to my current Audio PC (Win 10 Pro). It works, and although even though I almost never used it as a GM device, it does have a GM sound bank.  It performed admirably with the old standby tune, Canyon.mid.  During the past decade (2010s) I used it extensively for multi-channel, multi-timbral textural improvs.

I suppose if I wanted to I could make tunes using just the GM sound bank.