[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2024.02 Early Access

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The bigger question to me is why anyone serious about using our products want to use an old unsupported product, when a much better (and affordable) version is made available. I

A lot of us is afraid that change to vector graphics will make the software much "heavier" and not performing as well as CbB on our PCs. (Especially that the specs suggested for Sonar are much bigger than for CbB_ I am planing to buy Sonar anyway but I wanted to have CbB as a backup. Espacially that it was suggested few times that CbB will continue to work indefinetly just without any support and now it looks like rules are being changed during the game.

Edited by ancjava
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ancjava said:

A lot of us is afraid that change to vector graphics will make the software much "heavier" and not performing as well as CbB on our PCs. (Especially that the specs suggested for Sonar are much bigger than for CbB_ I am planing to buy Sonar anyway but I wanted to have CbB as a backup. Espacially that it was suggested few times that CbB will continue to work indefinetly just without any support and now it looks like rules are being changed during the game.

Vector based is actually less system intensive because the vector based graphics are dynamic and not having to load bitmaps into memory.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

vector can also take more CPU to recalculate each time as well as typically being restricted to a single CPU (as multiple CPU vectoring is often more wasteful than simply processing on a single one...)

And while you usually can add more RAM the need of better CPU = new PC. That is why I belive that CbB should be just  left activated after final update. Lack of support and promised affordable prices should be enough for everyone that treats music production seriously to evnetually switch to sonar anyway.   

Edited by ancjava
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

vector can also take more CPU to recalculate each time as well as typically being restricted to a single CPU (as multiple CPU vectoring is often more wasteful than simply processing on a single one...)

I'm running sonar on a 10 year old pc with a very average graphics card and I don't see any performance degradation compared to cbb.

The graphics look vastly cleaner rendered as svgs compared to bitmaps (no aliasing) and text looks much sharper too. This is especially  evident if you are running at higher dpi resolutions like 2k or 4k. We have been paying attention to performance and have not seen any hit so far. In fact we've made other optimizations to rendering. 

Btw for those thinking they can’t upgrade without new hardware, my old almost 10 year old DAW PC  is running with no issues on win 11 even though there's no TPM chip add the CPU is out of spec. There are ways to get windows 11 installed on older hardware  :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ancjava said:

Not at all. As stated we havent seen any performance downside. 
It was never implied that Cbb would be indefinitely made available only that it would be kept active during the transition period to Sonar. Its not going to be affected in the short term.

• Like 1

I believe that the development team would not have put forward switching to a vector based GUI when they are not absolutely certain about it. Did you know that Ableton is using vector graphics as well?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JazzP said:

I believe that the development team would not have put forward switching to a vector based GUI when they are not absolutely certain about it. Did you know that Ableton is using vector graphics as well?

Yeah AFIK Ableton was vector from the get go. Most modern application use SVG vector graphics for art or a hybrid approach when bitmaps are really needed. 
In CbB all graphical elements are bitmaps including simple things like buttons. In such cases, the downside with bitmaps are they are much bigger than equivalent vectors leading to slower load time and memory bloat. Additionally applications that run at high DPI have to store multiple resolutions of the bitmaps to avoid leading to even more bloat. Otherwise you get major aliasing and fuzziness as seen in CbB when you run on high def displays.
In Sonar almost all resouces are now vectors and very fast to draw since they are typically simple button graphics.

• Like 11

On 2/17/2024 at 8:11 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

In the future there may be a free version (with some limitations) however.

@Noel Borthwick Any free version (without a timeout) with the ability to open project/bundle files and export stems would be a nice move.  Especially if it will run on Win7! There are a few of us that don't have access to X -series or any 64 bit Sonar Daws. I can open these with my old 32 bit programs , but my projects are Loaded with vst3s and really not worth the effort. I am one of the users who will probably have to replace my PC and upgrade my OS to efficiently run the new Sonar.   Timing will be crucial ..       Thanks ..   mark

yes, if you're not using 3D vector graphics (ala gaming ...) then it can definitely be fast and lower on resources. for me, i design things with a lot of 3D vectors and materials so i'm always wary of apps using vector UI unless they're basically the flat kind...

12 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

yes, if you're not using 3D vector graphics (ala gaming ...) then it can definitely be fast and lower on resources. for me, i design things with a lot of 3D vectors and materials so i'm always wary of apps using vector UI unless they're basically the flat kind...

Can't imagine the bakers using 3d vector graphics for Sonar...

1 hour ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i could 🙂 i was hoping for the 3D kind so i didn't have to buy that SSL 9000 in order to get 3D controls 😉 

Maybe you can ask for an Oculus type user interface...

2 hours ago, gustabo said:

Can't imagine the bakers using 3d vector graphics for Sonar...

We're working on a 3d visualization Craig Anderton version. When you are tired of mixing you can zone out watching your faders move in 3d on a virtual mixing board and your waveforms flying around the screen :)

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 5