Tracktion Outersect Modeler Physical Modeling Synthesizer for $90.30

cclarry

Seems this has quite a history of development...

https://outersect.net/modeler/

Rob Rayle's second Outersect CD, God Love the Fool, was released April 20, 2010 on Beats and Pieces records, Israel. The CD makes extensive use Kyma and of the Outersect modeler, a set of microsounds for the Capybara that were coded by Rob Rayle to emulate the expressive characteristics and modes of acoustic instruments using a small number of simple parameters that relate directly to the actions of real-world players. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Seems this has quite a history of development...

https://outersect.net/modeler/

Rob Rayle's second Outersect CD, God Love the Fool, was released April 20, 2010 on Beats and Pieces records, Israel. The CD makes extensive use Kyma and of the Outersect modeler, a set of microsounds for the Capybara that were coded by Rob Rayle to emulate the expressive characteristics and modes of acoustic instruments using a small number of simple parameters that relate directly to the actions of real-world players. 

I like how it says it convincingly recreates a lead guitar and then proceeds to sound like a synth patch from 1990.

• Haha 1

It looks and sounds (from the demo) lovely but I need to not use the synths I've recently purchased a bit longer before I buy any additional synths that I won't have time to use.

One of the things I love about guitar is that maintaining your chops, let alone improving them, takes a continual investment of time if for nothing else to maintain the calluses on your fingertips so that you can bend notes during your solos and not scrunch up your face and look like you're going to cry like you see with some players in performance videos.
So my keyboards end up being underutilized...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I like modeled synths.

ReasonStudios Friktion and Objekt are fine examples, and  AAS Chromaphone of course, while Pianoteq reigns supreme for pianos. 

+OrganTeq for Pipe Organs IMHO :D   I'm having so much fun with it. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

One of the things I love about guitar is that maintaining your chops, let alone improving them, takes a continual investment of time if for nothing else to maintain the calluses on your fingertips so that you can bend notes during your solos and not scrunch up your face and look like you're going to cry like you see with some players in performance videos.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to just think about playing an instrument than actually playing it and long enough to get good at it.

I have many instruments, real and virtual, that are waiting patiently for my retirement that'll probably never happen, and if it does, I'll hurt too much to play anything for real.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Yeah, it's a lot easier to just think about playing an instrument than actually playing it and long enough to get good at it.

I have many instruments, real and virtual, that are waiting patiently for my retirement that'll probably never happen, and if it does, I'll hurt too much to play anything for real.

Same... we'll find out in another year or so.

• Like 1

Have to say I’m not a fan. Maybe I’m missing something but just seems overly complex. I love tracktion but I guess I’m spoiled with Plasmonic. I bought it on sale for $99 so similar pricing. If on the fence and don’t own Plasmonic, check it out as well before deciding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin H said:

Have to say I’m not a fan. Maybe I’m missing something but just seems overly complex. I love tracktion but I guess I’m spoiled with Plasmonic. I bought it on sale for $99 so similar pricing. If on the fence and don’t own Plasmonic, check it out as well before deciding.

I agree. I couldn't get a usable sound out of this thing if my life depended on it. Everything sounds cheap and tinny. Easily the worst Tracktion synth. This is what physical modeling sounded like years, if not decades ago. I really should get into the habit of demoing, no matter what the dev is (or in this case, really, the publisher).

1 hour ago, jngnz said:

I agree. I couldn't get a usable sound out of this thing if my life depended on it. Everything sounds cheap and tinny. Easily the worst Tracktion synth. This is what physical modeling sounded like years, if not decades ago. I really should get into the habit of demoing, no matter what the dev is (or in this case, really, the publisher).

Indeed, this one doesn’t speak to me the way Objekt and Friktion do. Or as Novum, Kult and Abyss. Interesting story about the dev, but the synth is an acquired taste.