Sonible - Smart:EQ4 coming December 20th

Kirean

4 minutes ago, Vst0nE said:

they just trying to cash you for little update, wasted money if you have previous version

Thing is, on a Mac I will eventually be forced to update. So they will probably get my money if it's like 29 EUR. I'm thinking of selling all their products anyway because at this point I am "smart" enough myself and/or have better/equal alternatives.

Let's see how much they improved the unmasking, that might be interesting.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Thing is, on a Mac I will eventually be forced to update. So they will probably get my money if it's like 29 EUR. I'm thinking of selling all their products anyway because at this point I am "smart" enough myself and/or have better/equal alternatives.

Let's see how much they improved the unmasking, that might be interesting.

question is: do you really need it? there is plenty of eq around and some developers do free updates as well...how many eq's do you need? i am pretty sure all of us has at least 10 more eq available already, however yes mac is bit of trouble for the future but that issue is with every plugin on mac

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Half excited, half disappointed. They release more paid major versions than patches…

23 minutes ago, Vst0nE said:

they just trying to cash you for little update, wasted money if you have previous version

Maybe V4 will contain 40% more fiber because at this point I can't give a crap.
Sorry but I've got smartfatigue - a condition caused by too many versions that cover the same ground, that are paid updates.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Vst0nE said:

question is: do you really need it? there is plenty of eq around and some developers do free updates as well...how many eq's do you need? i am pretty sure all of us has at least 10 more eq available already, 

Pro-Q 3 has been on Version 3 for 5 years. It's an exceptional EQ that can perform any task needed in the history of music or audio in the last 100 years. There's 100x more tech in that EQ than anything used to make 99% of the greatest songs ever made. This is why I buy FF. Modestly priced updates every few years, sometimes major new features added without version upgrades, and every new version blows everything else on the market out of the water, which I'm sure will happen with Pro-Q 4.

When I rifle through all my projects over the last 5 years, there are a few plugins that always stay the course. I rarely employ ai / smart type plugins. I see them in my projects a few times here and there. Usually not doing what I paid them to do, and serving some other purpose. However, the workhorses like Pro-Q 3 are literally everywhere. Same goes for Decapitor and Echoboy, despite me having 20 delay & saturation plugins that I bought because they sounded "better". It's weird how that works. It's also interesting, that when I go through these projects, the mixes that sound best are the ones with limited plugin selection. All the disaster mixes are filled with some Black Friday bukkake experiment of trying to use too much **** because "this new thing must be better!".

--------------------

EDIT: I can tell the exact time when I bought things like the Waves Abbey Road Bundle, or went through a tape emulation phase and now have 50 tape emulations, despite over time only ever using Sketch Cassette, which I thought was a ridiculous plugin when I got it but now gets used constantly. And I haven't opened an Abbey Road plugin in a year - and I thought a couple of those plugins weird incredible. So weird how this all works out in the end.

--------------------

I'm actually realizing - aside from distortion / amp type stuff, I could probably suffice with 20 plugins, despite having over 400 (including bundles, subscriptions). There are just certain plugins - delay, panning, modulation, saturation, reverb, channel strips, etc. that just work in almost every circumstance. These smart / AI plugins just don't do it for me this way. They could easily be dropped and I likely wouldn't even notice. No upgrade for me.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Pro-Q 3 has been on Version 3 for 5 years. It's an exceptional EQ that can perform any task needed in the history of music or audio in the last 100 years. There's 100x more tech in that EQ than anything used to make 99% of the greatest songs ever made. This is why I buy FF. Modestly priced updates every few years, sometimes major new features added without version upgrades, and every new version blows everything else on the market out of the water, which I'm sure will happen with Pro-Q 4.

When I rifle through all my projects over the last 5 years, there are a few plugins that always stay the course. I rarely employ ai / smart type plugins. I see them in my projects a few times here and there. Usually not doing what I paid them to do, and serving some other purpose. However, the workhorses like Pro-Q 3 are literally everywhere. Same goes for Decapitor and Echoboy, despite me having 20 delay & saturation plugins that I bought because they sounded "better". It's weird how that works. It's also interesting, that when I go through these projects, the mixes that sound best are the ones with limited plugin selection. All the disaster mixes are filled with some Black Friday bukkake experiment of trying to use too much **** because "this new thing must be better!".

I'm actually realizing - aside from distortion / amp type stuff, I could probably suffice with 20 plugins, despite having over 400 (including bundles, subscriptions). There are just certain plugins - delay, panning, modulation, saturation, reverb, channel strips, etc. that just work in almost every circumstance. These smart / AI plugins just don't do it for me this way. They could easily be dropped and I likely wouldn't even notice. No upgrade for me.

I agree wholeheartedly, yet I'm not sure I can make it to the next full hour without buying something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, jngnz said:

I agree wholeheartedly, yet I'm not sure I can make it to the next full hour without buying something.

I just wrote all that and I'm looking at another plugin. Haha. I totally understand. It's like being in a constant Twilight Zone episode. It's also because I only bought (I think) only 1 effect plugin this whole season. Maybe a couple for super cheap / free. I bought almost 100% instruments. But now there's a dark cavern in my soul that needs to be filled with new effects I don't need.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

--------------------

EDIT: I can tell the exact time when I bought things like the Waves Abbey Road Bundle, or went through a tape emulation phase and now have 50 tape emulations, despite over time only ever using Sketch Cassette, which I thought was a ridiculous plugin when I got it but now gets used constantly. And I haven't opened an Abbey Road plugin in a year - and I thought a couple of those plugins weird incredible. So weird how this all works out in the end.

--------------------

Interesting. I would be curious what is the workflow of someone like @Bapu owning so many plugins. How many he really uses, etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gang5 said:

Smart:EQ 4 is smarter than ever. Thanks to advancements in AI, and machine learning, Smart:EQ 4 will analyze your tracks, and tell you if your music sucks...

I have the Songs forum and our band members to tell me that!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Bapu said:

I only use the ones I need at any moment in time. 😋

Besides that I'm willing to give anything a try that is "supposed" to make mixing easier. If it doesn't, C'est La Vie.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

But now there's a dark cavern in my soul that needs to be filled with new effects I don't need.

Whew, for a minute there I was getting worried about you.  Glad to see you've re-embraced the true meaning of plugin ownership,  Whenever I'm looking at plugins I just remember that the word "need" should never appear in the equation.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

If they add more ways to EQ more than 6 tracks at the same time, I'm down for that!

Currently the limit of the group is SIX!  Meaning, if you have 6 plugins spread out on 6 tracks, that group will balance out the EQ together AND you can put the 3 levels deep front to back.

I would love to see them have unlimited levels deep, and unlimited tracks in a group.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:36 PM, El Diablo said:

If they add more ways to EQ more than 6 tracks at the same time, I'm down for that!

Currently the limit of the group is SIX!  Meaning, if you have 6 plugins spread out on 6 tracks, that group will balance out the EQ together AND you can put the 3 levels deep front to back.

I would love to see them have unlimited levels deep, and unlimited tracks in a group.

They increased it to 10 it seems. I'm afraid they got me again.