What are the deals you really want to see?

Magic Russ

21 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm pretty sure that I stumbled across someone trying to sell the NI Session Horns Upgrade to Pro when I was doing searches at the unfortunately-named KnobCloud a couple of weeks ago. If you're not familiar with the site, it was created by a forum member from VI Control as a place where people can resell their sample libraries and plugins (in the cases where the developers permit it). I've found that people sell NI libraries for a small fraction of their list prices there. I've only done one purchase and it was Abbey Road Modern Drummer, and I bought it a couple of weeks ago, and paid around $21 USD, which is less than half of the lowest price I've ever seen NI sell it for. Everything went smoothly (I bought it from a seller with a lot of transactions with a top review rating). I think Izotope allows resale, so you might want to check search on that there too. 

Thank you for the hind.

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

SD3 @ BFD3 prices

@Soundwise maybe have a look at this? (haven't loved the ST Speaker Shaper)

https://www.threebodytech.com/en/products/cabinetron

Thank you! This software looks awesome. I just don't want to mess with myriads of IRs and that's the main reason why I want this plugin. Other than that, I'm all set with cab-sims. 😊

On 11/15/2023 at 11:00 AM, Magic Russ said:

For me...

I want to see EZBass come down.

I'd like to see Overlouds's vocal processor thing be their annual holiday $30-ish no-brainer.

No joy on these.  However, I did get the upgrade from GR6 to GR7 for $45 on Plugin Boutique while it lasted.

I don't want to see anything anymore. Budget is gone. I was being a ***** and bought some hardware too (not on sale) so I got to the limit of my credit card pretty quick. I can always raise it, but that's against my principles.

Good thing is, it got me thinking about my wishlist and I marked almost everything 'not needed'.

Edit: oh wow the forum doesn't let you say 'not so smart buttocks'

Edited by Nick Blanc
Censorship
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

I don't want to see anything anymore. Budget is gone. I was being a ***** and bought some hardware too (not on sale) so I got to the limit of my credit card pretty quick. I can always raise it, but that's against my principles.

Good thing is, it got me thinking about my wishlist and I marked almost everything 'not needed'.

Edit: oh wow the forum doesn't let you say 'not so smart buttocks'

Yep i feel you..😬 please! Someone take my credit card out of my hands

how do you block the word sale out of your browser?… they are winning

Edited by GoncaloL
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GoncaloL said:

Yep i feel you..😬 please! Someone take my credit card out of my hands

how do you block the word sale out of your browser?… they are winning

I'm guessing I will spend some small change this week but nothing serious. What helps me is keeping a list and sticking to it. I already crossed out almost everything (like Heavyocity stuff, it's cool but I don't need it right now). So when browsing this forum, if it's not on this list I won't visit the page. That's where temptation lies...

• Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

I'm guessing I will spend some small change this week but nothing serious. What helps me is keeping a list and sticking to it. I already crossed out almost everything (like Heavyocity stuff, it's cool but I don't need it right now). So when browsing this forum, if it's not on this list I won't visit the page. That's where temptation lies...

That seems a good strategy.

So far i lost all my battles, one last to go, that u-he sale🤦🏻‍♂️

thankfully i have decided to wait for the cubase upgrade sale in the summer

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:30 AM, PavlovsCat said:

I'm pretty sure that I stumbled across someone trying to sell the NI Session Horns Upgrade to Pro when I was doing searches at the unfortunately-named KnobCloud a couple of weeks ago. If you're not familiar with the site, it was created by a forum member from VI Control as a place where people can resell their sample libraries and plugins (in the cases where the developers permit it). I've found that people sell NI libraries for a small fraction of their list prices there. I've only done one purchase and it was Abbey Road Modern Drummer, and I bought it a couple of weeks ago, and paid around $21 USD, which is less than half of the lowest price I've ever seen NI sell it for. Everything went smoothly (I bought it from a seller with a lot of transactions with a top review rating). I think Izotope allows resale, so you might want to check search on that there too. 

Thank you for the hind to knobcloud.

I've got Ozone Standard .

• Like 1

AudioBro's Eternity releases tomorrow at noon (EST). I'm hoping for sub $300 intro price, or cheaper with crossgrade from Genesis Children's Choir.

https://audiobro.com/eternity-adult-choir/

Genesis is possibly the greatest sample library ever created, so hoping that Eternity does the same for adult choir. But if it's priced too high I'll be back to looking at Audio Imperia's Chorus. 

This is the first library I've ever set alarms for to check reveal price on launch lol.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

AudioBro's Eternity releases tomorrow at noon (EST). I'm hoping for sub $300 intro price, or cheaper with crossgrade from Genesis Children's Choir.

https://audiobro.com/eternity-adult-choir/

Genesis is possibly the greatest sample library ever created, so hoping that Eternity does the same for adult choir. But if it's priced too high I'll be back to looking at Audio Imperia's Chorus. 

This is the first library I've ever set alarms for to check reveal price on launch lol.

Man. that's such high praise -- and knowing you're a pro composer and how critical you are -- even though I'm just a hobbyist on a limited budget and those aren't libraries in my budget nor libraries I would have much use for, after your praise, I feel I have to go check out the Genesis and Eternity choirs out, because, well, expectations are super high and I suspect I'll be blown away and I want to hear it for myself. 

I am, unquestionably, envious that you have a job where you get to enjoy this stuff as much as us hobbyists. On a Audio Bro note, they used to get mentioned A LOT by the VI-Control aspiring pro composer crowd a decade or so ago -- I suppose you can say that they had flavor of the month status for a time -- but the crowd moved on from them for some reason. Even here they don't get much attention. However, I take from your comments that they're still producing excellent libraries.  

UPDATE: Listening to the demos. As expected, they sound superb.

Edited by PavlovsCat

40 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Man. that's such high praise -- and knowing you're a pro composer and how critical you are -- even though I'm just a hobbyist on a limited budget and those aren't libraries in my budget nor libraries I would have much use for, after your praise, I feel I have to go check out the Genesis and Eternity choirs out, because, well, expectations are super high and I suspect I'll be blown away and I want to hear it for myself. 

I am, unquestionably, envious that you have a job where you get to enjoy this stuff as much as us hobbyists. On a Audio Bro note, they used to get mentioned A LOT by the VI-Control aspiring pro composer crowd a decade or so ago -- I suppose you can say that they had flavor of the month status for a time -- but the crowd moved on from them for some reason. Even here they don't get much attention. However, I take from your comments that they're still producing excellent libraries.  

UPDATE: Listening to the demos. As expected, they sound superb.

Ya - LA Scoring Strings was their first big library - and is an exceptionally detailed library - with reeeeallly  deep programming features. Possibly the most advanced instrument scripting on the market. But it is also exceptionally classical sounding - i.e. quite dry / sharp, some would say cold, and can very difficult to mix. The legato is absolutely gorgeous though, and is highly customizable (you can get extremely natural long / deep bends that no other library has been able to replicate). Tone wise - complete opposite of most modern orchestra libraries, which have a much warmer tone and are much easier to mix with other libraries, especially in modern scores. Note: I use LASS a lot to back up wetter / warmer libraries. It cuts through mixes like no other, so great when you need certain leads or short articulations to cut through a mix. 

Here's a very short example of the LA Scoring Strings tone: (there are some great neo-classical / complex string arrangements done with it that sound incredibly good - it's short articulations, when programmed well, are second to none):

IMO - it can be one of the most beautiful strings libraries around - many, many people are loyal to it's sound - but trying to mix with it - and learning how to program it - it takes a lot of time. Other libraries are much more intuitive and streamlined to just load, play, record and done. Anytime you open LASS you're likely in for hours of engineering. It's definitely a key reason  (along with the very dry tone) why it faded from most conversations. But it's still highly respected, I find mostly with really traditional / classical types.

However, AudioBro eventually released Modern Scoring Strings, which is also exceptionally well programmed / produced, but it still has quite a classical tone, but much warmer (imo) than LASS. Easier to work with & mix with, but requires some heavy manual reading.

Short example (seriously, the portamento / legato in their engine is incredible):

As for Genesis Children's Choir - well, it's just the greatest damn thing ever. It's just a "buy it, you'll never need another children's choir ever again". I played it for days when I first bought it. I'm very biased. I am a little bit concerned about the Eternity demo...as it has a much colder / plasticy sound than the children's choir (especially those sopranos), but hoping it's just the person who did the demo and that it's easy to tone it down a bit.

Anyway - I've always been a big fan of AudioBro. I think they just took a much more classical direction that isn't particularly popular with certain composer crowds (especially VI-Control crowd, which seems to lean much more to the Hollywood sound - seen in the Orchestral Tools / Spitfire Audio obsessions). I totally get it, but I still find AudioBro libraries beautiful in what they do. But in a very specific style.

(EDIT: I have never tried their Brass or Drum / Percussion libraries. I honestly don't even know what they sound like. I'm guessing they're very good, but I don't want to listen because then I'll buy them lol.)

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Ya - LA Scoring Strings is an exceptionally detailed library - and extremely, extremely deep when it comes to programming. Possibly the most advanced instrument scripting on the market. But it is also exceptionally classical sounding - i.e. quite dry / sharp, some would say cold, and can very difficult to mix. The legato is absolutely gorgeous though, and is highly customizable (you can get extremely natural long / deep bends that no other library has been able to replicate). Tone wise - complete opposite of most modern orchestra libraries, which have a much warmer tone and are much easier to mix with other libraries, especially in modern scores. Note: I use LASS a lot to back up wetter / warmer libraries. It cuts through mixes like no other, so great when you need certain leads or short articulations to cut through a mix. 

Here's a very short example of the LA Scoring Strings tone: (there are some great neo-classical / complex string arrangements done with it that sound incredibly good - it's short articulations, when programmed well, are second to none):

IMO - it can be one of the most beautiful strings libraries around - many, many people are loyal to it's sound - but trying to mix with it - and learning how to program it - it takes a lot of time. Other libraries are much more intuitive and streamlined to just load, play, record and done. Anytime you open LASS you're likely in for hours of engineering. It's definitely a key reason  (along with the very dry tone) why it faded from most conversations. But it's still highly respected, I find mostly with really traditional / classical types.

However, AudioBro eventually released Modern Scoring Strings, which is also exceptionally well programmed / produced, but it still has quite a classical tone, but much warmer (imo) than LASS. Easier to work with & mix with, but requires some heavy manual reading.

Short example (seriously, the portamento / legato in their engine is incredible):

As for Genesis Children's Choir - well, it's just the greatest damn thing ever. It's just a "buy it, you'll never need another children's choir ever again". I played it for days when I first bought it. I'm very biased. I am a little bit concerned about the Eternity demo...as it has a much colder / plasticy sound than the children's choir (especially those sopranos), but hoping it's just the person who did the demo and that it's easy to tone it down a bit.

Anyway - I've always been a big fan of AudioBro. I think they just took a much more classical direction that isn't particularly popular with certain composer crowds (especially VI-Control crowd, which seems to lean much more to the Hollywood sound - seen in the Orchestral Tools / Spitfire Audio obsessions). I totally get it, but I still find AudioBro libraries beautiful in what they do. But in a very specific style.

Wow, those strings (and brass in the second video) sound gorgeous. I don't know about orchestration. I spent 12 years semi-professionally as a rock drummer but also played jazz, soul, fusion, funk and dance. But I was also trained on piano and organ. With severe tendinitis, I'm never going to embark on complex orchestrations, I just bang out simple rock songs. But I admit that I would love to have all of this stuff (and the reality is, I would use it very poorly). But your posts are a treasure trove of knowledge and passion for music that anyone exploring these sample libraries can learn from.

I think that hobbyists and aspiring pros can be very misled by forums like VI-C where it's run by a developer and commerce motives, personality cults and peer pressure drive a good deal of the conversations and preferences. As BandLab has done a great job at keeping this community very user-centric, that's largely not a problem here.  Your posts have always stood out to me as clearly reflecting a pro sharing insights as compared to the pervasive parroting of groupthink and steered conversations that come from the largest forum for cinematic sample library research. It's why I originally asked if you were a pro, because it was becoming increasingly clear based on the way you conveyed how you use orchestral libraries, the way your choices didn't reflect the amateur groupthink mentality at VI-C. And that's truly refreshing and that is why I value your posts in this forum so much.  I seriously wish there was a section where advice from pros/experts like you could be archived, because I think your insights provide enormous value to most users, including me. Again, thanks for sharing. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1