IK Product Manager Updated to 1.0.7

cclarry

27 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Someone also mentioned it on their forum.  BTW does this happen on the account webpage?

In my online portal view it seems like I have 8 authorizations left (instead of the 3 the product manager says)

But I also haven't try to deauthorize and re-authorized anything to test if it shows up and changes.  I'll let someone more brave test.

Edited by Brian Walton

Peter replied on one of the forum threads. Seems like the move from 10 to 5 is intentional as you can now deauthorize machines much easier.

Peter's reply:

Some of you may have already heard this same thing directly from IK Support but to make sure all here are aware. Also, please note the EULA has always stated that you are licensed to install IK software on a maximum of three computers at a time and the license is not to be used simultaneously on any combination of those three devices.

As you may have noticed, the maximum number of authorizations per IK product has been changed from 10 to 5.

Although our EULA limits the installation of our software to 3 devices, in the past there was no way to unauthorize licenses so we increased the number of authorizations provided as a workaround to save you the trouble of contacting support each time the limit would have been reached.

Since IK’s new Product Manager introduced the ability for users to manage authorizations, including removing and re-activating them at will, we have reverted to our system to previous behavior. With the ability to unauthorize as needed, you should never reach the limit of your authorizations.

In the rare case this does happen, please just contact us and we’ll take care of you as always.

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27472

I'm not gonna update until the Installer is no longer flagged as malicious...

Yesterday I looked to see what computers IK Product Manager listed for my products.  I specifically looked for the authorization manager thinking I would see a reason for the drop.  I could not find where the software said what computers I had authorized for which products.  Maybe I missed it?

Also, I looked to see if I had multiple authorizations for each purchased product.  So far as I can see, they aggregate the authorizations.  When I have a chance, I would double check, but it seems to me if I buy Product X and then buy a second product that includes Product X, I should still have authorizations for Product the original purchase.

There may be other issues with the after-the-fact explanation.

With the ability to unauthorize as needed, you should never reach the limit of your authorizations. [emphasis added]

Oh.  I just went to look to see if we can unauthorize computers we no longer have access to. BUT, the version I installed yesterday is already out of date.

Maybe they put in a notice about the number of authorizations being cut in half?  Maybe they put in an authorization/unauthorization manager?  Maybe they changed something else and didn't tell anyone?

Caveat Emptor.

1 hour ago, Solidos said:

I'm not gonna update until the Installer is no longer flagged as malicious...

The file was submitted, it usually doesn't take long to get processed as a false positive.

38 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I just went to look to see if we can unauthorize computers we no longer have access to.

You would unauthorize on the computer on which you're running the product.  If you for some reason no longer have access and the extra 2 authorizations don't cover you (noting that the EULA has always stated 3 installed devices) see the end where it states you can contact us as you would have if you ran out with the 10.

10 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The file was submitted, it usually doesn't take long to get processed as a false positive.

rest assured I'm keeping an eye on this. As mentioned above 1.07 is still being flagged as malicious.

why do you say it's a false positive - IKM have refused to sign their installers so trivial to modify them.

16 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

You would unauthorize on the computer on which you're running the product.  If you for some reason no longer have access and the extra 2 authorizations don't cover you (noting that the EULA has always stated 3 installed devices) see the end where it states you can contact us as you would have if you ran out with the 10.

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Also, I looked to see if I had multiple authorizations for each purchased product.  So far as I can see, they aggregate the authorizations.  When I have a chance, I would double check, but it seems to me if I buy Product X and then buy a second product that includes Product X, I should still have authorizations for the original purchase of Product X. [emphasis added; typo fixed]

There's also this ^^^^ issue.

Edited by User 905133

30 minutes ago, simon said:

rest assured I'm keeping an eye on this. As mentioned above 1.07 is still being flagged as malicious.

why do you say it's a false positive - IKM have refused to sign their installers so trivial to modify them.

The new one is 1.08.  The webpage graphics still show images of the product manager based on 10 authorizations.

They don't screw up intentionally.  They don't screw up intentionally.  They don't screw up intentionally.  They don't screw up intentionally.   They don't screw up intentionally.

51 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

The new one is 1.08.  The webpage graphics still show images of the product manager based on 10 authorizations.

They don't screw up intentionally.  They don't screw up intentionally.  They don't screw up intentionally.  They don't screw up intentionally.   They don't screw up intentionally.

See my website screen grab from yesterday and what I grabbed from the same site today.  It was clearly intentional.  

(on top of that they also change the authorization counts in the user area - in addition to the public website I posted - the counts there were different yesterday too)

Edited by Brian Walton

2 hours ago, simon said:

maybe time to 'sign' your installers IKM ?

I brought this up over a year ago when Peter asked what would make us perceive IK to be 'more' professional (as just about every other big player - and even some smaller ones - in the industry sign theirs). I think despite the huge profits IK must make with their group buys, etc. they're just not willing to buy a code signing certificate.

The change from 10 to 5 authorizations doesn't bother me since it's above the the max of 3 installations.  However, it would be nice to know which computer each license is installed on to be able to track down and unauthorize on that computer.

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

But that's counter-intuitive, the very best reason for introducing the ability to de-authorize in any sort of Manager app, or in the online account, is to de-authorize some old machines we have no longer access to. And then to manage all current authorizations obviously.

At least that's how it's done by other brands, oh well...

Edited by chris.r

16 minutes ago, chris.r said:

But that's counter-intuitive, the very best reason for introducing the ability to de-authorize in any sort of Manager app, or in the online account, is to de-authorize some old machines we have no longer access to. And then to manage all current authorizations obviously.

At least that's how it's done by other brands, oh well...

That functionality was suggested, it's not part of IK PM now but if you for whatever reason cannot unauthorize because you no longer have access to a computer and run out the team will assist you (as they did with 10 when it happened more frequently when there was no unauth functionality).  But yes, I and others have relayed and also agreed with allowing to unauthorize without having access to the computer.  And it was bumped again due to this.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, simon said:

now two more virus scanners are showing the installer as malicious - including Google

and why aren't IKM signing their installers ?

tagging:

@Peter - IK Multimedia

not only does this update remove authorisations (lots of reports on the IKM forum) - but also flagging as malicious.  You might want to pass this along to your developers ?

The MacOS one seems signed. The Windows installer is not signed at all? Peter, would you consider escalating to your developer team?

There is a cost for a certificate but it is worth it for your users and probably for your company in reduced support costs; for example you get a smartscreen reputation boost with an EV cert.

Hi Peter,

How does this interact with multiple licenses? Could they each be made to contribute 5 activations to the pool? Or listed twice?

I'd purchased multiple Amplitube licenses over time to be a responsible EULA-follower in case I am using plugin gridder on a secondary machine, or have a laptop open,. However registering multiples of a product, or Total Studio on top of single products, doesn't seem to increase activations or show duplicates in the product manager.

Native Instruments seems to be this way as well, you can just register another serial for an owned product and it looks like it goes poof. I imagine you are not in contact with their dev team though :)