Is SONAR Platinum still possible to activate?

Canopus

On 9/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, paulo said:

I had just  installed the version recommended by CW in this thread and it still doesn't work.

It takes awhile searching for a bunch of updates that don't exist but otherwise seems to work fine here.

Did you uninstall the old one, reboot, then install the new one?

21 hours ago, sjoens said:

Did you uninstall the old one, reboot, then install the new one?

TBH I'm thinking that I had probably already installed the one in the link as I have a d/load of that dated 8/6/23 and I cant think of a reason why I would have d/loaded it and then not installed it, but anyway, yes I have tried uninstall/reinstall and it still won't open. Tried run as admin too and that makes no difference.

Edited by paulo

1 hour ago, paulo said:

TBH I'm thinking that I had probably already installed the one in the link as I have a d/load of that dated 8/6/23 and I cant think of a reason why I would have d/loaded it and then not installed it, but anyway, yes I have tried uninstall/reinstall and it still won't open. Tried run as admin too and that makes no difference.

Are you still running Windows 7? If so,

<UTTER_SPECULATION>CCC 1.1.8.1 might be using Microsoft WebView2 to communicate over the internet with the back-end server. Edge version 109 and WebView2 Runtime version 109 were the last versions to support Windows 7. If the latest version of CCC is created using WebView2 SDK 1.0.1519.0 or higher, it will, according to Microsoft, not work with Windows 7. But, of course, I'm only guessing here.</UTTER_SPECULATION>

31 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Unfortunately, same problem. As you can see from the linked article, Windows 8 and 8.1 are also affected.

OK thanks. I didn't read article as you asked win 7. Oh well, I guess it won't be a problem until PC dies and then the issue will cease to become one anyway.

FWIW this is what I got when I just tried to open it again....

No idea what that is all about. It didn't happen the other times.

Screenshot (17).png

Edited by paulo

32 minutes ago, sjoens said:

On a more [ ] positive [ ] negative unrelated note, Windows 11 comes with AI assistance. 

A week or two ago on Win 10 Pro I got a notice that something is using AI Assistance.  Not sure if it was a MS component or from somewhere else.  In either case, AI has already taken over the world of technology--even if it's just the humans slaves serving the AI masters.

15 hours ago, sjoens said:

Got that too yesterday.  Must have downloaded it unknowingly?  Or we got hacked?  I just hit the red X.

FWIW I uninstalled the version linked in this thread and then installed my earlier download of that version and I no longer get that window come up. It still doesn't work (which Canopus has now answered) but the absence of that window now suggests to me that it's appearance is something to do with the recommended download link in this thread.

Not asking for any further suggestions/help here,  I have no idea what that window is all about, don't really care, just relating what I have observed regarding it in case that is useful info to anyone.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:13 AM, Shayne White said:

Honestly, I hope that Cakewalk brings back something resembling the Command Center when the new Sonar is released. It was a great app and easy to use for downloading and installing all the Cakewalk content. Kind of similar to NI Access.

We are in fact going to have a new product center app to list all user specific product assets. In app updates will still be there, but this will be a simpler way to navigate and reinstall etc.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, paulo said:

OK thanks. I didn't read article as you asked win 7. Oh well, I guess it won't be a problem until PC dies and then the issue will cease to become one anyway.

FWIW this is what I got when I just tried to open it again....

No idea what that is all about. It didn't happen the other times.

Screenshot (17).png

That's just a benign dialog that can sometimes appear with the updated version of Command Center. It's a known issue, but you can simply close the dialog. 

That is also a symptom of old third party software components expiring due to timeouts or certificate expiration.
While we have kept the legacy back end in place as a courtesy, it no longer receives any updates so its subject to failures like this.

This is one reason why we want users running the latest version of our software since that is the only version that is actively updated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

That's just a benign dialog that can sometimes appear with the updated version of Command Center. It's a known issue, but you can simply close the dialog. 

12 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That is also a symptom of old third party software components expiring due to timeouts or certificate expiration.
While we have kept the legacy back end in place as a courtesy, it no longer receives any updates so its subject to failures like this.

This is one reason why we want users running the latest version of our software since that is the only version that is actively updated.

Thank you both for chiming in. The only reason I was personally interested in whether CC was still functional was because as I understand it in the event of having to start over a 2023.09 user would still need to able to install Platinum (or at least components of it) to have access to the various plug-ins that 2023.09 does not have, if for some reason (ie pc specs) they are unable to use the new version of Sonar and have to remain with the legacy version in order to be able to access their work. It is of slight concern to me that there seems to be a general vagueness around exactly how long the 2023.09 version will remain functional/accessible and therefore how long before anyone who, for some reason, can't use the new version becomes effectively locked out of their projects.

I do actually still have X3 as an option if all else fails, but it would be nice to not to have to go back that far.

43 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We are in fact going to have a new product center app to list all user specific product assets. In app updates will still be there, but this will be a simpler way to navigate and reinstall etc.

Given that CC no longer works with OS pre win 10, will that also be the case with the new app ?

This begs the question of exactly how many people on this planet are still on W7?  I’ll put my hand up 2 x. I don’t throw out laptops until the screen goes dead. I have a 2005 running XPsp2 .  A 2009 Net Book W7 and a 2008 Sony that is my live performance playback machine. It has CbB on it as well as X3 and SPLAT.
 I only playback projects but it is fully loaded with all my stuff with the exception of some plug ins that only allow 2 machines. 

The  onlysituation that I can think of would be if the hard drive fails and I would have to re install W7 on the Sony. 
So to prevent that I just recently cloned the drive to a brand new one and swapped it out. The old one is safe on the shelf. 
In other words you can easily keep any machine running forever if you maintain it.  

I can’t think of anything else that would require access to W7 and the CCC. 
As if anyone would be crazy enough to build a new computer and install W7.  I guess a Flat Earther would.  

As Noel just said it is only out of kindness that we even have what little access is still left over from 2017. 
Back it up!  

Edited by JohnnyV

5 minutes ago, paulo said:

Given that CC no longer works with OS pre win 10, will that also be the case with the new app ?

Command Center should be fine on Windows 7/8. We just recompiled it with the old compiler to update it for the new back end locations. 

Windows 8 went EOL at the beginning of the year, so the new Sonar will only be officially supported on Win 10 and above, but odds are likely fine it'll be fine on Win 8.1, at least for a while. Win 7 can't do the graphics stuff... display scaling there is a nightmare comparatively. In either case it doesn't really make much sense on our end to put the time into doing OS specific testing on operating systems that aren't supported by Microsoft at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Command Center should be fine on Windows 7/8

All I can tell you is that it no longer works on win 8.1 for me, but it did at the time you announced that there would be a new Sonar because that's when I last checked it. I did that because I fully expected not to be able to use the new version, which is fine as long as I have access to a functional earlier version. I'm not expecting help or support for this, just telling you so that you know there is a problem with it.

18 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Windows 8 went EOL at the beginning of the year, so the new Sonar will only be officially supported on Win 10 and above, but odds are likely fine it'll be fine on Win 8.1, at least for a while. Win 7 can't do the graphics stuff... display scaling there is a nightmare comparatively. In either case it doesn't really make much sense on our end to put the time into doing OS specific testing on operating systems that aren't supported by Microsoft at this point. 

Perfectly understandable. It has long been my expectation that it would only ever be a matter of time before some kind of update meant that I could no longer have the latest version installed and I'm fine with that as I've always had faith that in such a scenario Cakewalk/Bandlab would come through somehow on it's previous promise never to leave long term users locked out of their work. Recent vagueness from CW staff around exactly how long the final version will actually be functional for has caused me some mild concern as it seemed to be walking back that promise a little, that's the only reason I looked at this thread in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

All I can tell you is that it no longer works on win 8.1 for me, but it did at the time you announced that there would be a new Sonar because that's when I last checked it. I did that because I fully expected not to be able to use the new version, which is fine as long as I have access to a functional earlier version. I'm not expecting help or support for this, just telling you so that you know there is a problem with it.

Odd, I just verified it's still working on Win 8.1 on our end. Possible there's something else going on with your other system locally, but we specifically built the updated Command Center with the old compiler so that there wouldn't be any compatibility issues from subsequent updates. 

On 9/27/2023 at 10:32 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Will this "new product center app" negate the need to say have to install SONAR Platinum etc to be able to access all your plugins and instruments? I own all there is to own and I would prefer not to have to install previous versions just so I can have access to the plugins etc