2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

21 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I had a custom Workspace after the update.  I assume it was the same one I had before. 

On my system my custom workspace correctly was there as always. No difference.

7 hours ago, Keni said:

Please get Sonar out soon so we can escape all this (almost) pointless issues with a software that's ending...

I don't think its pointless to cure all these issues, since at some point it'll be the final version of Cakewalk by BandLab and those of us who will use that for some more years are very grateful, that all these things are corrected.  I really appreciate that they're doing this. Especially the promise, that its working even after the new product is there, is a nice touch for us. Thank you!

Edited by sunshine dreaming
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sunshine dreaming said:

On my system my custom workspace correctly was there as always. No difference.

I don't think its pointless to cure all these issues, since at some point it'll be the final version of Cakewalk by BandLab and those of us who will use that for some more years are very grateful, that all these things are corrected.  I really appreciate that they're doing this. Especially the promise, that its working even after the new product is there, is a nice touch for us. Thank you!

Very true, except these things need fixing going forward into Sonar. I think it's possible that many of these fixes may be applied to both programs? For us, it's unknown the extent of differences. For example, I doubt they're gonna re-write the audio engine in this changeover. There may be some surprises, but the only thing I/We know for sure is that the gfx portion of the UI has been altered to be vextor based gfx.... Everything else  (afaik) is the continuation of Cake/Son

I got the impression (and only an impression) was that Sonar would be the same code and features as CbB but with an interface better supporting the scaling of various elements.

No doubt there will be some additional features but what it can do will be based on CbB. So all of these bug fixes matter.

Edited by Terry Kelley

15 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

I got the impression (and only an impression) was that Sonar would be the same code and features as CbB but with a interface better supporting the scaling of various elements.

No doubt there will be some additional features but what it can do will be based on CbB. So all of these bug fixes matter.

Exactly...  It's on going, but becoming a paid version. I think of it simply as the next major update as compared with simply bug fixes as this last update is. They froze the feature set etc so all new features will appear in Sonar. I'm guessing there's other new things. More than the big issue of the vector graphics change, but they are in the upcoming version (Sonar, not CbB).

I just updated to 2023.09 two days ago.  I opened CWbB today, and it's prompting me to update to 2023.09... again??  It's the usual prompt bottom right, blue box, Cakewalk just got better, etc.... 

Just now noticed two additional prompts, one is to Update Local Help, and the other is for Demo Projects available to download.

When I check the version I now have, it is 2023.09 (Build 062, 64 bit).   And I did re-activate two days ago after updating. 

Edited by musikman1

2 hours ago, musikman1 said:

I just updated to 2023.09 two days ago.  I opened CWbB today, and it's prompting me to update to 2023.09... again??  It's the usual prompt bottom right, blue box, Cakewalk just got better, etc.... 

Just now noticed two additional prompts, one is to Update Local Help, and the other is for Demo Projects available to download.

When I check the version I now have, it is 2023.09 (Build 062, 64 bit).   And I did re-activate two days ago after updating. 

Update again until it says something like "You're up to date, or You are on the lastest version" somewhere along those lines, I cant remember what it exactly says now. 

Theres a 2023.09.065 version also, before you get the lastest version. 

Edited by Will.

2 hours ago, musikman1 said:

I just updated to 2023.09 two days ago.  I opened CWbB today, and it's prompting me to update to 2023.09... again??

Build 062 has been around since middle of September. The current build is 075 and was released two days ago.

• Like 1

Hello,

SoundID plugin is making a project opening for ages. I have custom EQ preset selected in SoundID, and when I save the project with Sound ID, I have to wait nearly 10 minutes when I try to open the saved project. Normally it's a matter of seconds if there's no SoundID pre saved in the project. I developed this problem sometime ago after updating cakewalk, two or three updates ago, and it still persists. The SoundID app is updated to the newest version, but it made no difference. So is my Cakewalk app, and it's the last update apparently before it's a paid product... this is a serious problem to have if you are planning on releasing this as a paid product as many people are using Sonarworks! I also read the whole section, and I'm not the only one with projects opening a long time.

Regards, 

Michal M.

Edited by Michal Mikulski
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Will. said:

Theres a 2023.09.065 version also, before you get the lastest version.

22 hours ago, Canopus said:

Build 062 has been around since middle of September. The current build is 075 and was released two days ago.

Thanks I'll update again. I thought since I had recently updated that I was all set, it seemed odd having two updates so close together.   Appreciate the help!

9 hours ago, Michal Mikulski said:

Hello,

SoundID plugin is making a project opening for ages. I have custom EQ preset selected in SoundID, and when I save the project with Sound ID, I have to wait nearly 10 minutes when I try to open the saved project. Normally it's a matter of seconds if there's no SoundID pre saved in the project. I developed this problem sometime ago after updating cakewalk, two or three updates ago, and it still persists. The SoundID app is updated to the newest version, but it made no difference. So is my Cakewalk app, and it's the last update apparently before it's a paid product... this is a serious problem to have if you are planning on releasing this as a paid product as many people are using Sonarworks! I also read the whole section, and I'm not the only one with projects opening a long time.

Regards, 

Michal M.

Not seeing that at all. Is your SoundID updated?

Sorry I can't help with the SoundID issue, but this other issue is still on my mind...

The Opening of the program itself. No song file.

Sometimes it opens normally and sometimes it takes longer.... and sometimes it takes much longer?

Nothing else is running on my DAW any differently at any of these times. I set everything to manual everywhere.

So this is a thought.... Might it have to do with verifying activation etc.? That would quickly supply a reason for the varying lengths of time as the internet through speeds vary constantly.. If this is the case, can't the program finish opening with it's current status and have that verified after it's open? It would go a long way to comfortable launches.

So far my Windows 10 experience still pales to how much more cleanly and easily my win8.1 system still runs, but this stuff makes it feel like 3 steps forward, two steps back...? I know this CbB issueproably has nothing to do with that, but I'm on a roll...

things to double check:

- A/V exceptions for Cakewalk.exe and the sound reference ID apps (make sure MS defender isn't "protecting" you from your apps.

- sound reference ID set to virtual driver vs APO (i've found the virtual setting let's me switch it out in my CW preferences whereas the APO setting seems to take over the IO interface and no option to bypass it)

- re-run the redistributables for CW and the sound reference installer (i've found that MS likes to install all kinds of fun stuff in MS Edge and hot fixes for critical security and things get weird afterwards)

On 10/21/2023 at 12:13 AM, Milton Sica said:

OCCURRENCE
Steps to replicate the issue:

1) Copy an audio block using CTRL + SHIFT + PRESSED MOUSE BUTTON, DRAG TO THE DESIRED POSITION.
2) Create FX region
3) Choose VOCALSYNC.

For me the application aborted without any type of message.

You only hold down Ctrl+Mouse Drag to copy the data. There has never been Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Drag shortcut in windows. 

7 minutes ago, Will. said:

You only hold down Ctrl+Mouse Drag to copy the data. There has never been Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Drag shortcut in windows. 

the SHIFT forces a horizontal or vertical lock on direction so if you want the copy to stay aligned with the track or the time bar, adding the shift while copying is useful.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

the SHIFT forces a horizontal or vertical lock on direction so if you want the copy to stay aligned with the track or the time bar, adding the shift while copying is useful.

I was about to post a similar response.

..and remember that all modifier combinations are available to be used including ctrl-alt-shift, so performing a drag operation during such an execution may be necessary... yes?

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

@Keni I feel for ya, but I'm not seeing any "slow to load" issues here.

t

Thanks t...

It's not so much the length of time it's the suspense of "has something locked up/gone wrong" that quickly becomes a concern... 👀

In the previous release I actually got forced to Task Mgr to stop then restart CbB. That hasn’t happened with this release, but it’s recent in mind, so when it takes a full 10 seconds or more for the empty program to open, I grow concerned.