Android Phone & New Forum Changes

Johnbee58

Yeah, this is still broken and it's been reported.

What you should be able to do is switch to Desktop Mode (look for the 3 dots at the top of the screen) and then pinch to zoom in to see the stuff you want to click. Not ideal, but it'll get you over the line.

Hopefully the devs get onto this soon. Things like messages and notifications are also missing in the mobile view too.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Yeah, this is still broken and it's been reported.

What you should be able to do is switch to Desktop Mode (look for the 3 dots at the top of the screen) and then pinch to zoom in to see the stuff you want to click. Not ideal, but it'll get you over the line.

Hopefully the devs get onto this soon. Things like messages and notifications are also missing in the mobile view too.

Thanks so much, Tim!

😃John B

• Like 1

I have been using so-called "smart" phones for less than a decade and I almost never use it for browsing the internet.  But I just tried the trick of turning the phone sideways, found the ... [more] dots, selected "Desktop Site" and found where I could log in if I was so inclined. I was using Chrome.

If it works for me, it should work for people who do browse the internet with their phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

I have been using so-called "smart" phones for less than a decade and I almost never use it for browsing the internet.  But I just tried the trick of turning the phone sideways, found the ... [more] dots, selected "Desktop Site" and found where I could log in if I was so inclined. I was using Chrome.

If it works for me, it should work for people who do browse the internet with their phones.

Tried that.  Didn't work for me.  But thanks for the suggestion.  Probably depends on the particular phone.

😀John B

6 hours ago, craigb said:

Not sure how many decades I've been in these forums and yet I still have never logged in using a phone!  Go figure!  🤷‍♂️

have me first smart📞 after without notice 2G network for my old cell📞 stopped.

📞 the company few times a day / thanking them.

got an android Motorola (maybe should have bought a Samsung)

installed/incoming advertising alone make the thing unusable for newbee

getting 'old' (maybe grumpy ☺️)

John, sorry for ranting in your thread :$

Edited by Sheens
  • Haha 1

Here's the irony:  I consulted to Verizon Wireless for over seven years and was on the team that brought the internet to their cellular phones!  It was called 1xRTT back then (I guess they didn't think they'd upgrade to future generations, ya?). 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Things like messages and notifications are also missing in the mobile view too.

It's not that they're missing. The brand new "right column" displays as a line right below the first post of every page. Apparently the forum layout can't properly consolidate that with the top banner and that ends with the page clipping the top banner to the point of obscuring the buttons that live up there, which happen to be the menu and notification buttons.

I wish I could show a screenshot of how that looks but I cannot upload images from mobile for some reason. The message simply cancels as soon as the upload is done, then gets restored if you click the quick reply text box again. Deleting quotes on mobile is impossible as well, but this issue already existed before the layout change.

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

It's not that they're missing. The brand new "right column" displays as a line right below the first post of every page. Apparently the forum layout can't properly consolidate that with the top banner and that ends with the page clipping the top banner to the point of obscuring the buttons that live up there, which happen to be the menu and notification buttons.

I wish I could show a screenshot of how that looks but I cannot upload images from mobile for some reason. The message simply cancels as soon as the upload is done, then gets restored if you click the quick reply text box again. Deleting quotes on mobile is impossible as well, but this issue already existed before the layout change.

Have you tried taking a screenshot. Save it to your gallery. Then from the gallery email it to yourself and then from your email on your computer upload to the forum.

I'd say "simples" but that is not, but it works for me.

Part of it is browser and real estate on mobiles. There are dev apps that will let you see desktop/mobile/tablet renderings side by side as changes are made, but not sure if you can edit in that environment for a canned package.

This looks like it's all browser window size related as to where it chooses to offer the resolution breakpoints.

In most mobile displays you get this:

1.jpg.408b6082792d76a40a523f3b75d5eedb.jpg

Tablet:

2.jpg.446bf8dee4f2927f92e82ba8847e5e2c.jpg

Desktop:

3.jpg.b2b1aded1173f507445e63fb79ebb350.jpg

So each view would need to have its own CSS worked out for it, aside from global colours, fonts, etc.

Clearly there's clipping and padding issues on mobile, and tablet also isn't showing the needed controls.

I've reported a lot of this stuff myself, as well as refining the colour palette on certain items to cater for poorly calibrated monitors (such as the pagination numbers in threads. On my calibrated monitors they look fine, but ones that have a high gamma point make the page numbers almost invisible). This wasn't like that on the previous forum layout, so I'd very much doubt that this is by design.

I personally have no idea what makes that sidebar turn up either, to be honest, which I've asked about.

So I'd say most of the stuff that people are seeing that's "wrong" or broken has already been reported. If there's anything in particular that's not working like it should be, it might be an idea to mention it here and see if it's common to all of us, so we can compile a list to pass off to the devs. I'd almost guarantee even the stuff I've mentioned is on the TBD list, but it's never a bad thing to have more eyes on something to weed out any problems!

Just discovered something. 

In Chrome on my home computer I was getting the header like LT shows on a Tablet. No place to log in, check my account, or notifications and no messages.

Went to Firefox on same computer and there everything was. Just like LT shows in the Desktop shot.

So I closed Chrome and reopened it with the same old results (like the tablet view).

Then I decided to see if I could lower my zooming of my browser (ctrl + mouse wheel) and then everything appeared as normal!! IOW I was getting the desktop view like I was suppose to.

So maybe a zoom scaling issue (IDK what to call it!!) is at the heart of all these problems?

[edit]

Forgot to add this is reproduceable. When I scale Chrome to above 125% zoom level all the stuff up top starts getting cut off.

[edit 2]

Firefox allows you to scale in 10% increments, Chrome only goes from 125% to 150%. Found out in FF that I can scale up to 140% and still see everything up on top. Once I get 150% it all goes away and looks like the Tablet pic LT is showing.

Edited by Grem

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Just discovered something. 

In Chrome on my home computer I was getting the header like LT shows on a Tablet. No place to log in, check my account, or notifications and no messages.

Went to Firefox on same computer and there everything was. Just like LT shows in the Desktop shot.

So I closed Chrome and reopened it with the same old results (like the tablet view).

Then I decided to see if I could lower my zooming of my browser (ctrl + mouse wheel) and then everything appeared as normal!! IOW I was getting the desktop view like I was suppose to.

So maybe a zoom scaling issue (IDK what to call it!!) is at the heart of all these problems?

I have seen this kind of effect (disappearing webpage elements) for years, especially on my laptop because I needed to enlarge the browser (zoom in / magnify). Not sure if it happened on my PCs, too.  I don't remember if it varied from browser to browser. Zooming in may also have changed webpage navigation buttons at the bottom.

"Zoom scaling issue" sounds like an accurate phrase based on what I experienced.

So, for the fun of it, using Chrome on my PC, I zoomed in until the second line (Home     Cakewalk v     Other Links v    Search) disappeared.  Then I stretched Chrome to spread over to Monitor 2.  At a certain width (depending on my zoom level), the second line re-appeared.

I tried a few sites that use Invision thinking that it might be an issue with Invision's software.  If anyone wants to try it, this site does the same thing on my PC.  The second line has Existing client?           Sign in v        Sign Up      Search.

When zoomed in on a single monitor, line 2 disappears.  Depending on the zoom level, line 2 reappears when I stretch the web page onto Monitor 2. 

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

If anyone wants to try it, this site does the same thing

I can confirm that. When I zoom in to 200% on my music pc (different monitor size and resolution) that line disappears. When I stretch it across my 2nd screen it will come back.

• Thanks 1

Do we need to do a "Go Fund Me" to get Michael a larger screen?  😆

(I use a 40" 4k TV that cost me less than $400 and have the display set at 125% outside of any app, so I never need to zoom in inside a browser.)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, craigb said:

Do we need to do a "Go Fund Me" to get Michael a larger screen?  😆

(I use a 40" 4k TV that cost me less than $400 and have the display set at 125% outside of any app, so I never need to zoom in inside a browser.)

Please don't tell we also need a 4K display to view the forums properly. I don't have the funds to afford a Samsung Galaxy or Xperia 1 V.

42 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Please don't tell we also need a 4K display to view the forums properly. I don't have the funds to afford a Samsung Galaxy or Xperia 1 V.

Can't help you there.  I also have a Samsung Note 10+ which has wonder 4k.  😁