Sonible Smart: Sale and Release of Smart: Gate

cclarry

21 minutes ago, Pollux said:

75$ at everyplugin. I have an offer for 49€ directly at sonible

That’s disappointing. It’s probably still worth it but I don’t care about gates enough to pay over like 29 EUR.

4 hours ago, jngnz said:

That’s disappointing. It’s probably still worth it but I don’t care about gates enough to pay over like 29 EUR.

Ditto. I have all the previous smart: true: and pure: plugins and my offer is €41. They are my favorite mixing tools currently but  I'll wait for a better price this time.

I'm excited to try this out on our (Citizen Regen) current work in progress song.

All Citizen Regen songs are done with live drums, recorded pretty pristinely but there is still unwanted bleed of the snare in the kick and of course kick in other tracks as well.

Edited by Bapu
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Pollux said:

75$ at everyplugin. I have an offer for 49€ directly at sonible

smart:gate by sonible - the content-aware gate - 30 day trial
https://www.sonible.com/smartgate/

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

40,38€ for me.

Same here - about $45 if I don't get dinged with conversion fees.

Don't know if I need / want another gate... especially since I've got the Fabfilter one and that I rarely do anything creative or fancy with them.  I'll have to demo it at some point.

Edited by TheSteven

On 7/18/2023 at 1:51 PM, Gang5 said:

Interesting video:

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Another take

And thus it may be wise to have many (seemingly same) tools as one size may not fit all. 🤪

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

You've distilled down the essence of the GAS that keeps this forum active and developers happy. 

Which is why I will counter that statement by saying if you haven't mastered every last detail with the Gates you already own, then you shouldn't buy another one. How many times have we (guilty as charged) bought plugins before truly learning the ones we already have?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I've not used gates (that I know of)... What's the usefulness of a gate?

FWIW, the simple answer for me is reducing bleed on live drums like:

too much snare in the kick track, or the reverse too

reduce drum bleed in hi hats track

reduce (nearly) everything in tom tracks (or spend days cutting out everything before and after a tom hit (time 4 or 5 depending on the drummers approach to a song)

Some people like bleed, others detest it. "Bleed" is better in overheads and room mics (IMO).

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I've not used gates (that I know of)... What's the usefulness of a gate?

It can reduce / cut out the drunken screams of a friend who was falling from the couch while you tried to record a vocal. Myself being far from sober, left on the metronome which could be heard in the recording, so a frequency specific gate came in handy.

So for me, fixing stuff which shouldn't need fixing or a creative tool. You can use a gate in sidechain and 'reverse' mode to trigger the volume of a synth channel everytime a drum hits.