I have joined the ranks of the retired...

smallstonefan

I know many of you are already there so I thought I'd share. I just sold our company and got to walk away - I turn 54 next week. This is an adjustment for sure, and I look forward to making lots and lots of music when I get settled. I've always wanted to shred, so I'll be grinding on my guitar chops and I also learning to play the hand pan; it's going to be awesome to have the time and energy to really dig deep into the things that excite me!

Feels really weird to use the word "retired" though. :)

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

44 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

Speaking just for myself, 54 seems too young to retire. It is not to late to pursue your dreams, though.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Speaking just for myself, 54 seems to young to retire. It is not to late to pursue your dreams, though.

A lot of people say that, and I get it. This is one reason I am uncomfortable word the word retirement - it carries baggage and specific connotations.

However, I had an incredible career - nothing left undone there. Now I want to enjoy the freedom of having time and money to pursue what interests me. Perhaps I'll start a second career someday - perhaps not. For now, I've a world to see and lots of hobbies to pursue... :)

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

I know many of you are already there so I thought I'd share. I just sold our company and got to walk away - I turn 54 next week. This is an adjustment for sure, and I look forward to making lots and lots of music when I get settled. I've always wanted to shred, so I'll be grinding on my guitar chops and I also learning to play the hand pan; it's going to be awesome to have the time and energy to really dig deep into the things that excite me!

This is a life plan executing to perfection. Congrats, let us hear the music!

cheers, -Tom (presently unretired)

17 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

nothing left undone there. Now I want to enjoy the freedom of having time and money to pursue what interests me.

That's what you really work for. Now pursue those other interests!!

Congratulations!!

I will be joining you sometime next year. Definitely by Jan 2025!!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, craigb said:

Good luck!  I "retired" in my late 30's only to lose everything while I was off working on a PhD, then had to try and get back into the JOB world!  Bleh!

Did you get the PhD?

18 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

A lot of people say that, and I get it. This is one reason I am uncomfortable word the word retirement - it carries baggage and specific connotations.

However, I had an incredible career - nothing left undone there. Now I want to enjoy the freedom of having time and money to pursue what interests me. Perhaps I'll start a second career someday - perhaps not. For now, I've a world to see and lots of hobbies to pursue... :)

If earning money is not a concern, you *could* start an altruistic studio for up and coming local artists who can't afford hundred$ on studio time. Charge a nominal rate, for your area, to keep it somewhat professional for you and them.  

I would love to do that but sadly I'll not likely retire any time soon (too many plugins to still buy 😉) .

Edited by Bapu
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Did you get the PhD?

Nope!  Had to quit right before creating (and defending) my dissertation - the last step!  Needed to find work to save the houses, but that was hard since companies weren't hiring either!  Oh, well...  Life moved on.  This IS one of the stranger lives I've had!  😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Congratulations!
I've been retired since '19 and was loving it. Since last year I've been semi-retired due to the state of the economy. Just 2 days a week. 
Enjoy it while you can!

Are you doing something you enjoy on those two  days?

19 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

This is a life plan executing to perfection. Congrats, let us hear the music!

cheers, -Tom (presently unretired)

Thanks Tom! There is a lot of truth to your statement. I suffered a lot from not feeling good enough and was never sure I’d get there - I just kept picking myself up when I’d fail and doing what I thought was best. I’m proud to have gotten over the finish line and doing it while taking good care of my employees and customers. So excited to get into my music when this adjustment period fades!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bapu said:

If earning money is not a concern, you *could* start an altruistic studio for up and coming local artists who can't afford hundred$ on studio time. Charge a nominal rate, for your area, to keep it somewhat professional for you and them.  

I would love to do that but sadly I'll not likely retire any time soon (too many plugins to still buy 😉) .

Hi Ed! I’m very fortunate in that money is not a concern. However, what you describe sounds a hell of a lot like a work to me. 🤣

we are currently looking for a house in Florida. I’ve been in Nebraska all my life and I’m done with winters. Once we get settled I’ll think more about a long term thing such as this. 

It would be great to see you get to do something like this in your future! ❤️