Cakewalk Next and Sonar will Be Free or Paid in Coming Soon

thedubstepjesus

Question

20 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, docatlas said:

Will those of us who bought the lifetime license when Sonar was owned by Gibson get this new one free, or will we have to pay? It didn't matter since Cakewalk by Bandlab was free, but I have spent a lot over the years on upgrading Sonar, and don't know if the current owner has any obligation to honor a lifetime license sold by a previous owner.

Oh dear Jesus! Really?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, scook said:

The have been no plans announced for a free IPad version any product from Cakewalk.

If you wish to run a free BandLab Technologies DAW on your iPad use BandLab.

Projects made in BandLab may be shared with CbB, Sonar and Next users.

I Not Say iPad Version, I Say Next and Sonar will be free or paid

1 hour ago, docatlas said:

Will those of us who bought the lifetime license when Sonar was owned by Gibson get this new one free, or will we have to pay? It didn't matter since Cakewalk by Bandlab was free, but I have spent a lot over the years on upgrading Sonar, and don't know if the current owner has any obligation to honor a lifetime license sold by a previous owner.

Gibson is the company you have this beef with.

Bandlab bought the code only, and hired the dev team that Gibson fired when they closed down the Cakewalk Inc company they purchased. Bandlab has nothing to do with this defunct company, other than buying the rights to the code. That Lifetime License died when Cakewalk Inc owned by Gibson did.

We got 5 years of free use from the deal, and a product that allowed us to use the paid add ons that were locked to SONAR, and additionally as a courtesy we could even grab legacy products from the Bandlab servers, despite those things actually not being current Bandlab products.

So it was a fairly good deal considering it could have gone away entirely when Gibson pulled the rug out.

These new products, despite having similar names, are not the products that Gibson sold us. But they appear to have the same backwards compatibility and use of the stuff we bought from Gibson, now just all under a paid model from this new company who would probably prefer their developers could eat and the lights stayed on.

Nobody knows the pricing structure for this stuff yet but it'll fail if it's not competitive - they know this. Let's wait and see what the future brings us. 5 years of having free use of a previously flagship priced product is a lot of goodwill from a new company that bailed out a dead product line.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 4:48 AM, docatlas said:

Not again please 😞 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:48 PM, docatlas said:

. . . . don't know if the current owner has any obligation to honor a lifetime license sold by a previous owner.

If they honor it for those who paid Gibson, but not for those of us who were long-time paid up-graders since long before Gibson's ownership, I will go into a tirade, scream foul play, vow never to use CbB ever again, will whine and complain anywhere I can, etc.!!          

• Haha 1

Nothing has changed.

The last update of Cakewalk by Bandlab is currently in Early Access.

Cakewalk Next is for people needing to get ideas quickly down and take advantage of the Bandlab ecosystem by the looks of it.

Cakewalk Sonar is CbB with an overhauled UI and ongoing features and fixes.

Both of those things are still being worked on, so there's no public information about them, or their intended pricing structure.

That's basically it.

I would suggest even to take the screenshots on their product pages with a grain of salt because by the time they're released, since they're still in development, things could change before stuff goes public.

I think we're starting to run a little in circles here. Let's wait to see what the Bakers announce. It looks like the next thing out the door will be the final CbB so they'll be working on that particularly at the moment.

Going to lock this thread for now since I think its all run its course.

• Great Idea 1

On 7/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, thedubstepjesus said:

This New Product Next and Sonar Will Be Free To  Use  or  Paid To  Use

Can You Ask Me This Question 

Will This Product Sonar and Next in Coming Soon Free To Paid

Screenshot 2023-07-09 074008.png

• Haha 1
  • Meh 2

Judging by the screenshots, "Next" looks like a children's toy.  Real competition for Magix Music Maker.

Just checking in periodically, so what's the status and future of the grown up version of Sonar? Abandoned or 'coming soon' forever?   I was a paying customer up to X3 but I knew the free version wouldn't last so never let myself get too attached to CW by BL.

I suppose if there's a fair price and a promise of continued support, I might consider purchasing the new Sonar.  But I will never rent software so if they think a subscription plan is going to work then it won't work here.  Sonar will join Orion in the "DAWs I used to like but then they died" list. Too many other DAWs out there to waste time on one with a wonky future or no future at all.

As many of us predicted at the time, the free ride would not last forever. I knew Junior would get tired of his new toy and succumb to  the pressure to monetize the software. It was simply a matter of time.

I appreciate him setting CW free for a while but really it's looking like that was a colossal waste of time for everyone involved. Prove me wrong Bandlab. 

• Meh 2