Melda 16.09a beta is here... Not a deal

ralfrobert

36 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

The Windows install failure has been brought up by several people on the Meldaproduction forum, including me.

Confirmed that it only "works" if you tell it to skip the clean-up. Which results in the previous versions you had installed staying in place, although the UI says that they are 16.08. That's probably due to the Meldaproduction core not being a part of the .vst3 files.

It's a mess, and it's uncharacteristic of Melda to fail to address it within 24 hours. It's an installer, that ain't rocket science.

From my understanding you rarely need to run the 'clean-up', maybe  when upgrading between major versions and even then the amount of disk spaces saved/wasted is miniscule* - the VST/VST3 files just get overwritten anyway**.
*unless you had the MSoundFactory Instruments installed and decide NOT install them this time.
**unless you change the VST 2.4 location.

I rarely opt for the cleanup, unless you're having issues it's just a waste of time.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

For what it is worth, I did my normal upgrade install which included the clean up.  Seemed to install fine and I previously did not try the beta for the release as I sometimes do.  So went from "7" to "8" without much issue and know 8 loaded because the NAM loader is in MGA.  

• Like 1

Has a new installer been posted? What caught me off guard was 16.08 installed and VST scanned, but I didn't open any projects because I was updating loads of crap in the process (the DAW had removed all Melda stuff in the background). Doing the clean up when re-installing 16.07 was funny because it said "Nothing to remove" at that stage.

4 hours ago, TheSteven said:

From my understanding you rarely need to run the 'clean-up', maybe  when upgrading between major versions and even then the amount of disk spaces saved/wasted is miniscule* - the VST/VST3 files just get overwritten anyway**.
*unless you had the MSoundFactory Instruments installed and decide NOT install them this time.
**unless you change the VST 2.4 location.

I rarely opt for the cleanup, unless you're having issues it's just a waste of time.

I think that the way it's supposed to work is that the cleanup just gets rid of the old dll's (both .dll and .vst3) before installing new ones. If you opt out of the cleanup, the old ones get overwritten. I usually just go with the quick cleanup because it takes about 2 seconds, and it seems like the installer is kind of nudging me to use it. There's no difference in amount of disk space at the end of it.

The MDrummer/SoundFactory files don't get touched by the cleanup operation.

I suspect that the only people on Windows who this installer is "working" for are ones who opt out of the cleanup. Check the dates on your .vst3 files and I bet that they will be from earlier than August.

It's not really working as intended, it's installing the new "engine" in ProgramData and leaving the old dll's in place. Who knows if this will work....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I suspect that the only people on Windows who this installer is "working" for are ones who opt out of the cleanup. Check the dates on your .vst3 files and I bet that they will be from earlier than August.

Yes I did opt out of the cleanup ,
image.png.3eb5dfc52cb337539e9e39c7dce967ce.png
I have 16.08 and all the VST2/VST3 plugins are dated 7/31/23 9:50+pm
Don't know what the time stamps on the beta version were and don't know if that means anything as many devs only update the installer and not the beta plugins if no changes to the plugins were made.

5 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Yes, before August, and 16.08 came out on August 8.

On the system where I opted out of the cleanup, the plug-in UI's say 16.08, but the .vst3 dates are 6/27/2023 8:38 AM.

I've done it on 3 different systems now, with similar results: if the .vst3 files are not already on the system, the Meldaproduction installer won't put them there, and I'm pretty sure it's not overwriting old ones either.

I'm not going to trust it 100% until we hear from Meldaproduction that it's been fixed. Running with dll's from a previous version and an engine from the current version may appear to work fine (and it may even work fine), but it can't be intended behavior from the installer.

I don't know if everyone went on summer vacation the minute that 16.08 shipped, but they rely heavily on people being able to download and try their plug-ins (and using the mighty FreeFX bundle). If Windows users haven't been able to do that for a couple of days, that's potentially lost sales ("I downloaded their installer and I guess their stuff won't work on my system").

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The Windows install failure has been brought up by several people on the Meldaproduction forum, including me.

Confirmed that it only "works" if you tell it to skip the clean-up. Which results in the previous versions you had installed staying in place, although the UI says that they are 16.08. That's probably due to the Meldaproduction core not being a part of the .vst3 files.

It's a mess, and it's uncharacteristic of Melda to fail to address it within 24 hours. It's an installer, that ain't rocket science.

That worked.

Thanks 👍

And again I have to repeat it: There is no clever and reliable plugin manager/installer! Many times you have more trouble than help with them IMHO, but YMMV!

I always have hated the Melda installer, because I don't like how it organizes the plugins in subdirectory groups as if there is only Melda Production! I have such groups on a higher level (provider independant) and it does not make sense to repeat this on their level! I.e. I always have to move their stuff around manually. Like that it is one of the most labour-intensive installations for me!

Another dislike: I don't think it is a good idea to keep the version number of a component out of its code, it's rather dangerous and confusing!

14 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

For what it is worth, I did my normal upgrade install which included the clean up.  Seemed to install fine and I previously did not try the beta for the release as I sometimes do.  So went from "7" to "8" without much issue and know 8 loaded because the NAM loader is in MGA.  

Without question, when I did the clean up and allowed the installer to delete the plug-ins, (1) it deleted them and (2) the dlls and vst2s were not installed.

Perhaps that happened for me BECAUSE I installed the 16.08 beta on August 3rd. Maybe the released version only updates resource files and uses older dlls and vst3s.

7 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Don't know what the time stamps on the beta version were and don't know if that means anything as many devs only update the installer and not the beta plugins if no changes to the plugins were made.

My 16.08 beta from August 3rd, 2023 also has dlls and vst3s date stamped July 31, 2023, but time stamped between 12:49 pm and 12:57 pm.

I have no idea what all the other resource files are.

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

What is EST?  I'm on the east coast of the US where the time is 12:00 PM (Noon) EDT.  

Eastern Standard Time (US) - so he posted that about 6 hours ago.  EST is GMT-5 for non US clock watchers :) 

Edited by Greg
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg said:

Eastern Time Zone (US) - so he posted that about 6 hours ago.  EST is GMT-5 for non US clock watchers :) 

That makes sense.  I ran my re-installation tests to confirm the issue yesterday.  I didn't look to see if it had been fixed today.  (Been too busy. Ex wife was at a conference and tested positive today.  Long story, but I have been busy trying to find home test kits and figure out how long the kids and I need to be on pins and needles.)

I will try the Melda Installer posted this morning shortly.  Thanks!!!

UPDATE: The installer is now approx. 400 KB larger than the beta I downloaded on August 3rd, rather than approx. 10,000 KB smaller. So I'd say the dlls and vst3s are probably there now.

Edited by User 905133
added update; fixed typo

Okay, can confirm that the installer is working correctly as far as I can tell.

If you don't tell it to clean up it overwrites the .vst3 files, if you do tell it to clean up it deletes the old ones and installs the new ones.

The date/time stamps on the .vst3 files are 8/10/2023 1:05 (or close, depending on when they compiled them), so if the dates on yours are earlier than that, you have an incorrect installation and should download the newer, larger installer.

This means you, @TheSteven and likely @Philip G Hunt.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

The date/time stamps on the .vst3 files are 8/10/2023 1:05 (or close, depending on when they compiled them), so if the dates on yours are earlier than that, you have an incorrect installation and should download the newer, larger installer.

I agree that if someone has dlls and vst3 before 8/10/2023, they don't have the ones from the current / 8/10/2023 installer.

However, from what people have posted, different people can have different time stamps.  For example, mine say 4:00 AM to 4:08 AM.   If by 1:05 you mean 1:05 AM that would mean mine are later than yours.  If by 1:05 you mean 1:05 PM that would mean mine are earlier than yours and I should download the installer yet another time to see if I can get time stamps that match yours.

In the interest of science, I will do yet another installation.

41 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I agree that if someone has dlls and vst3 before 8/10/2023, they don't have the ones from the current / 8/10/2023 installer.

However, from what people have posted, different people can have different time stamps.  For example, mine say 4:00 AM to 4:08 AM.   If by 1:05 you mean 1:05 AM that would mean mine are later than yours.  If by 1:05 you mean 1:05 PM that would mean mine are earlier than yours and I should download the installer yet another time to see if I can get time stamps that match yours.

In the interest of science, I will do yet another installation.

Probably a timezone thing. 

• Like 1

• ralfrobert changed the title to Melda 16.09a beta is here... Not a deal